Woodland Hills
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
That works, but there are limitations to it. Get too far away from home and:

a) DirecTV will know what you are up to and insist you lease a new bow for it (of course adding to your account to the tune of $20... $10 for the additional box lease and $10 for adding a box to your account)

b) The spot beam that carries your local station only hit (as the name implies) a specific spot on the globe. So you won't have access to them. I recall seeing an interactive map somewhere that let you view the range of your specific spot beam.
We have been RVing for a while and have never heard of DirecTV cutting off RVers who take their home cable box on their travels. Just get a used Winegard Carryout on Craigslist and plop it down on the dock when you get to the marina. If you want local TV you can call DirecTV and have them change your location or you can get an RV TV antenna. This is SOP for the RV world: if you really want you can get an RV account with a new receiver/DVR, but why bother, when you can bring the one from home?

I never heard about any narrowcasting beam from the Satellite to each individual reciever, I always figured that the server at DirecTV simply authorized the various channels permitted each account when they did their "handshake" upon connection when it does the authentification process. Given that there are only a handful of geo stationary satellites and millions of accounts, there must be an enormous amount of transmitters up there if that's how it works!
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote