Instrument Replacment, and NMEA addition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian1e

Vessel Name
Rum Away
Vessel Make
'89 Bayliner 3888
I will be replacing the original standard instruments/gauges this year. My question is, are there currently available inexpensive NMEA hubs fully compatible with the normal analog measurement designs?

I guess I will state here what I wish to avoid

1. if there is a problem with the NMEA interface, it must not disrupt the dash gauge measurements.
2. easily interfaced with multiple devices. PC, Android, ipad via Bluetooth, WiFi, and possibly LAN.
3. propriety interfaces. I don't want problems connecting, and monitoring using whatever device(s) I choose. I want everyone to get along nicely.

Is there such a thing at an affordable price?

Hundreds, not thousands of $$

We installed an EMU-1 to digitize our 3208NA CAT operating parameters this past summer. It puts RPM, oil pressure, engine coolant temp, & marine gear oil pressure into the NMEA 2K network. It along with the rest of the instrument upgrade has worked well. However, or approach was not compatible with your desired approach of removing the existing analog gauges (if I understand you correctly). The EMU unit picks up its input from the analog gauges. In fact you check your existing gauges to be sure the EMU will be compatible and function properly with your system.

Hi,
I have done this using a Noland unit. I posted the schematic on an earlier post headed something like Remote Temperature Monitoring. You can tap the sensor wires to the gauges or if you wanted greater separation to their own sensors. This would insure that they operate completely separately from your analogue gauges if you were concerned about a failure interfering with your gauge readings.
Let me know if you would like me to repost the schematic.

To clarify. I am planning to replace many of the analog gauges with new. I would like to also have the data via NMEA.The real goal is to have the NMEA data wireless, and able to view on android phone, ipad, and perhaps PC, from anywhere on the boat. I have a Garman chartplotter that hopefully will support some of the data.

I would also like to add a few things that are not currently monitored. Such as exhaust temp, trans temp and/or pressure, bilge high level alarm, and pressure on the exit side of the primary fuel filters. The pressures on the gears (Hurth 630A), and the pressure/vacuum on the fuel filters look like the biggest challenge.

The Noland equipment looks pretty good, however, if I read correctly, there are measurement issues as the supply voltage changes. There may be a workaround for that, and the errors may not be significant enough to worry about. The Chetco equipment looks pretty good also, but a bit more pricey.

We installed an EMU-1 to digitize our 3208NA CAT operating parameters this past summer. It puts RPM, oil pressure, engine coolant temp, & marine gear oil pressure into the NMEA 2K network. It along with the rest of the instrument upgrade has worked well. However, or approach was not compatible with your desired approach of removing the existing analog gauges (if I understand you correctly). The EMU unit picks up its input from the analog gauges. In fact you check your existing gauges to be sure the EMU will be compatible and function properly with your system.

Interesting. Link please?

- I have the Noland unit installed on Ebbtide and have not experienced issues with voltage fluctuations varying the instrument readings.
- I have both analog gauges in the Engine Room and digital readouts at the helm via chartplotter. In addition I am able to display information via laptop if I choose to.
- There are also devices that will allow you to transmit NMEA information via Bluetooth to various devices. I have not tested those devices.

Take at lookm at the Chetco solutions. Give them a call and discuss your objectives and concerns. I found them helpful on the phone and at a boat show, when I was considering doing something like this. I knew a few people who have their stuff that spoke highly of it.

Home

I spoke with a couple NoLand reps, and with NoLand themselves. It seems there is difficulty getting from Can Bus to the real world (WiFi, LAN etc.)

I spoke with Chetco and their Sea Gauge has built in WiFi option, The G2 Sea Gauge will have enough I/O if I make a couple of trade offs, or use some pressure/temperature switches vs. analog readings.

Hi,

This is how I set my Noland device up to broadcast over WiFi to my iPhone and i pad. I have an early Simrad unit that does not have WiFi so added the GoFree unit so that my iPad acts as an additional screen. The stated voltage input for the Noland interface is 10 - 28 volts. I still run analogue gauges and usually have a tile open on my Simrad unit and like Bob haven't noted any fluctuation.
I cant advise on the best brand as I have only used this set up. Would a copy of the Noland instructions help you to compare ?.
I struggle with most things electrical but setting up the range of each input and calibrating was pretty straight forward. You can set alarm limits and reading directly from a pressure/temp/resistor sensor is also ok.

see attachment - I told you that I'm challenged with things electrical (hopefully this works)

Attachments

• temp monitor.pdf
    176.2 KB · Views: 60

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom