Bottom paint job prices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigfish

Vessel Name
My Lady
Vessel Make
Formosa 42 Double Cabin
I'm recovering from surgery and don't want to do much myself so I'm trying to get an idea of what it costs to have my 42' trawler's bottom painted. Got a quote of $2500 for in and out plus one coat of micron 66? Seems high to me..
Thanks.

Hmm, I was thinking it sounded low to me. I had mine done in the Bahamas and it was way cheaper than the states and they used better paint. Half dozen quarter size or less blisters repaired, primer, copper paint, boot stripe, wax hull and keep it plugged into electric on the hard, 3500.00

Charlton knowles marina, Freeport Bahamas

Huckins Yachts in Jacksonville charges $34/ft but are running a special for $29/foot complete or $1,218.

The Bottom Job Specials
Up to 44' was $34 per ft. Now just $29 per ft.
45' - 50' was $36 per ft. Now just $32 per ft.
51' - 59' was $38 per ft. Now just $34 per ft.
60' - 65' was $40 per ft. Now just $36 per ft.
Above 65' ask for estimate
Above Includes

Haul, block, launch
Pressure washing (inc. running gear & moderate barnacles*)
Cleaning boottop
2 shaft zincs
One coat bottom paint - Petit Trinidad - HYC standard coating**
40' - 50' boats hauled on Monday will be launched by Friday
Exterior wash prior to departure
*Excessive barnacle sanding will be billed at a rate of $70.00/hr
**Paint in excess price of Trinidad will be billed the difference in paint price

SERVICE | Huckins Yachts

Huckins Yachts in Jacksonville charges $34/ft but are running a special for $29/foot complete or $1,218.

The Bottom Job Specials
Up to 44' was $34 per ft. Now just $29 per ft.
45' - 50' was $36 per ft. Now just $32 per ft.
51' - 59' was $38 per ft. Now just $34 per ft.
60' - 65' was $40 per ft. Now just $36 per ft.
Above 65' ask for estimate
Above Includes

Haul, block, launch
Pressure washing (inc. running gear & moderate barnacles*)
Cleaning boottop
2 shaft zincs
One coat bottom paint - Petit Trinidad - HYC standard coating**
40' - 50' boats hauled on Monday will be launched by Friday
Exterior wash prior to departure
*Excessive barnacle sanding will be billed at a rate of $70.00/hr
**Paint in excess price of Trinidad will be billed the difference in paint price

SERVICE | Huckins Yachts

That's a great price considering everything that's included.

Ted

Too far away!! Huckins does fine work too...

Bottom paint is around $250 a gallon.......

I'm trying to get an idea what to pay to have it done.. Hauled, prepped, 2 coats with 3rd at the waterline, and splashed

Don't gloss over the Prep--if not done well the new paint won't stay on.

I paid $100 a foot for sandblasting, a barrier coat of epoxy, and two coats of Trinidad SR. The hull had the original bottom paint on it and had never been barrier coated unless they did it when it was built. I wanted a point of reference for the future upkeep so I had it done professionally the first time.

I'm trying to get an idea what to pay to have it done.. Hauled, prepped, 2 coats with 3rd at the waterline, and splashed

When we haul/paint I use 3-4 gallons. I think we have more beam than you so you may get by with just 3 gallons. The last time, we bought it from Jamestown Distributers. I think we payed $230/gallon and I bought the VIP memebership for $49 which gives you free shipping for a year on any thing you order and no sales tax. We use the Trinidad SR. Maybe you can find a do it yourself yard and hire someone or a friend to do it. We didn’t do much for prep since the yards power washer really cleaned it up and we’ve been having a diver so there was no hard growth.

Had mine done in November, about $3,600 for in/out, blocking etc., sanded with 80 grit, 2 coats Pettit Ultima SR-60, 3rd on waterline. Somewhat high? I don't know...I checked pricing in my area and that's pretty close to what I got from others. I did get one price from a well known/respect yard and it was a little over 1/2 of what the others gave me. Scared me off actually.

... I did get one price from a well known/respect yard and it was a little over 1/2 of what the others gave me. Scared me off actually.

We're close by to Huckins. Last year I asked about the pricing. I was told it keeps the yard/guys busy with the bottom jobs as filler work and brings other work to them they normally wouldn't get. How many times do we haul out and find an "Oh ****". For the pricing they quote, it's a haul on Monday and back in on Friday with one coat of pant.

In my case I found $4,200 worth of "Oh ****'s". And I paid a regular price for the bottom job. Guess they made out on me. Newbie. I learned some good lessons in the yard though which will help in the future. I will say that the yard can be a great learning session if you play it right and work the crowd.

Back
Top Bottom