Water Maker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimisbell

Guru
Vessel Name
Papillon
Vessel Make
1978 Mainship 34 Trawler #95
One way to solve the small water tank problem is a water maker. I used one on both my big sailboats. With a Trawler, electrical power is less of a problem than on an under powered sailboat. So I am thinking about one for the trawler. Has anyone used one of the $1500 kits (21 gallons per hour) from Florida that are available from EBay? Report?

Look at this eBay number......322963368153.....

Sounds good to me, but that means nothing, I'm not qualified to pass judgement.

As I said if you post to a forum where sailors with more experience, as well as pros in the biz hang out, you're more likely to get better feedback.

Myself, I'd rely on Rich at CruiseRO, maybe ask if I could have a kit drop-shipped to him and have him post a detailed tear-down.

If poor value, just return under eBay's NQAMBG.

If OK, maybe just get Rich to specify which bits I should replace or carry spares for.

I have a bigger system, but made from components and a belt drive high pressure pump. I'd be concerned with the Karcher high pressure pump. In building my watermaker, I went thru several "inexpensive" pumps before buying the pump I have. The hp pump with the system is made for low cost pressure washers. As a pressure washer the pump delivers high pressure but low volume. To make 20 gallons an hour of good water the pump will be at near capacity. If 20 gallons/day is what you need, the hp pump will be running an hour every day. Much more than life as a pressure washer. From my experience, it's better to be able to make more water than you think you need. And I don't have to run my watermaker every day. The good news is the filters and membrane are standard sizes, so they can be bought anywhere.
I also recommend any system that CruiseRO sells. If I'd bought one, I'd saved half of what I spent learning and doing it myself.

I’m a big fan or Rich over at Cruise RO.

He has good prices and when you need him (and you will need him) he will be there.

This guy that sells the kit says he will sell an upgraded pump for an additional $250

https://www.wateranywhere.com/

i say build your own.... then its super easy to fit it to your space requirements and you get to choose the pieces parts for simpler replacement of the expendables

you wont necessarily save a ton of money doing it this way, but you will save some and best thing is you have intimate knowledge of the system

Yes, and being familiar with how it works means you can fix it if it fails.

From many threads it seems you won't save any at all except by ending up with lesser quality components.

But I agree if you have tons of time and enjoy science projects it would be fun.

Many say they did exactly that with Rich's guidance, so that would be my first choice

I'll give Cruise RO another positive feedback.
I had someone install their 40gph system for me.
Yes, there were a couple problems but feedback from Cruise Ro (Rich) is almost instant and even on a Sunday night--when i thought I would send an email and let it meet him on Monday AM. He answered it Sunday night.

I didn't install it myself because of time and I'm 2500 miles from the boat (and oh yea--probably better for me to have someone else do it.).
Can be fixed by the user or almost any plumber.

Many of the watermakers I looked at 3 years ago at the Boat Shows were Three time the cost plus installation.

I also recommend Rich at Cruise RO. I just installed the 30gph system on my boat and it works awesome. I was a bit intimidated about the install, but Rich basically said that I could do it, and to call him if I needed help. As stated above, when you call him, he answers the phone! And he knows the systems inside and out. If you do the install yourself, you will be very familiar with what components are where, and how they go together. In my opinion, this is not a spot to pinch pennies. Buy a good WM to begin with and your life will be much simpler.

Good luck whatever you decide, and keep us posted on your results. Good luck.

Cheers, Bill

https://www.wateranywhere.com/

i say build your own.... then its super easy to fit it to your space requirements and you get to choose the pieces parts for simpler replacement of the expendables

you wont necessarily save a ton of money doing it this way, but you will save some and best thing is you have intimate knowledge of the system

Yes, building your own is adventurous. The big buck item is the pump. Anyone who is thinking about doing their own should spend time on Dow's Rosa which is their program related to their membranes.

I spent a lot of time a couple of years ago designing one, have most of the parts but have not yet got around to actually building it. I designed mine using an 18f4550 microcontroller for an autormatic system. Maybe this year I'll try putting the thing together.

From what I have done so far................ I recommend just purchasing a kit but even before you do, get an understanding of exactly what it is that you are building/assembling BEFORE purchasing anything.

I also recommend Rich at Cruise RO. I just installed the 30gph system on my boat and it works awesome. I was a bit intimidated about the install, but Rich basically said that I could do it, and to call him if I needed help. As stated above, when you call him, he answers the phone! And he knows the systems inside and out. If you do the install yourself, you will be very familiar with what components are where, and how they go together. In my opinion, this is not a spot to pinch pennies. Buy a good WM to begin with and your life will be much simpler.

Good luck whatever you decide, and keep us posted on your results. Good luck.

Cheers, Bill

NOw let me guess---- 30 GPH using a 1HP motor. If so, whomever did the design did an excellent job working with Dow's Rosa program.

One way to solve the small water tank problem is a water maker. I used one on both my big sailboats. With a Trawler, electrical power is less of a problem than on an under powered sailboat. So I am thinking about one for the trawler. Has anyone used one of the $1500 kits (21 gallons per hour) from Florida that are available from EBay? Report?

Huge savings ($100/Hour in the Seattle market) come from running the electrical and the plumbing lines yourself. Regardless of whether you get a modular system like cruise RO (biggest savings) or a framed unit like FCI or SeaRecovery, etc., being able to install the plumbing and electrical yourself will save a bundle.

Back
Top Bottom