View Single Post
Old 01-17-2018, 09:37 PM   #4
ksanders
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
I do not have a boat in that size and vintage so I cannot offer first hand knowledge of model comparisons.

That said I can offer some advice on boat hunting in that size and budget range.

While Yachtworld might be a decent resource you should also probably shop locally. By locally I mean going to municipal marinas in your area, and if possible walking the docks. Also bulletin boards at marinas, and actually talking to people and asking if they know of any boats in that size range for sale.

The reason I say that is because I see boats just like you are describing come up for sale locally. They are generally owned by an older guy that has had the boat for a long time. Sometimes they are owned unfortunately by his heirs.

Invariably the first effort at selling the boat will be to hang a for sale sign on it. These boats can sometimes represent a real value, and the good ones will often be sold in this manner.

Personally I think you are on track dollar wise. Just be forewarned that boats of that size and vintage are efforts of love by their owners. When talking about the boat with the owner you are not just buying a boat, you are buying his memories, and all the love and effort he put into the boat.

When talking to the owner of these kind of boats remember that he is also evaluating you as a potential owner. If you sell your dream to the owner, and he feels that you wil love and continue his dream, the actual dollars he wil accept for the boat might be much more negotiable than you would think.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote