View Single Post
Old 01-16-2018, 05:04 PM   #19
Scratchnsaw

City: SOBX North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
On a cruising boat, galley up vs down is a must for us. Galley down is a deal killer. We have one boat with galley down but it has no bridge and up is open so only place to put it and not a boat we use it a lot on. Everyone has must haves or must not haves that have nothing to do with the hull or performance of the boat.
I understand completely. But the overall length of a boat can play a role in the placement of the galley. While there are some exceptions, the shorter the boat, and with the galley up you loose a lot of sitting area. I have experienced the break point in and around 32 feet. A raised pilot house, which is becoming more available in the newer models can improve some of the losses in the combination deck house and helm area in those ranges.

With it down, you can loose sleeping quarters. or a smaller stateroom and even a full stand up head. But my comment , maybe not the best with the short reply was more along the lines of the galley being at the top of the list without giving other considerations to some of the compromises that's in each and every boat.
Scratchnsaw is offline   Reply With Quote