Why We Went From Sail To Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pgitug

Guru
Vessel Name
Escapade
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37 2002
In 2005 we purchased our brand new 42 Hunter Deck Salon. Lots of storage. Two huge births. Two heads with showers. 6.7 knots using 3/4 gal of diesel per hour. Gen set using 1/2 gal per hour.
We really enjoyed the boat each year leaving Florida in June and spending the summers up the east coast to the Long Island area or up the Hudson. Martha’s Vineyard, Newport and the like.
Then in 2013 we got “Stuck” on the ICW several places due to high water. Our mast would not clear the fixed 65’ bridges. Rising sea levels made keeping our sailboat impractical. And no, we don’t like blue water sailing in the dark.
So now we have an air draft of 13’. Life is good.
THEN:
IMG_0046.jpg
NOW:
IMG_1423.jpg
Now the only problem we have is:
IMG_2512.jpg

Great thread! Glad I opened it first!

That just goes to show you , you can have a LOT more fun on a trawler .
Beautiful baby , great thread and the Tug looks pretty good as well .

We ended up on a trawler because we went aboard my friend's trawler while we were anchored in our sailboat. After a cocktail or two, my wife looked all around her and said, "oh yes, we are getting one of these". Within the year we sold our sailboat and bought our first motor boat/trawler. We are now on our second big motor boat, so it looks like we are in it to stay. When my sailing friends come on board, they start to see the advantages of going to the dark side. :D:D

Cheers, Bill

In 2005 we purchased our brand new 42 Hunter Deck Salon. Lots of storage. Two huge births. Two heads with showers. 6.7 knots using 3/4 gal of diesel per hour. Gen set using 1/2 gal per hour.
We really enjoyed the boat each year leaving Florida in June and spending the summers up the east coast to the Long Island area or up the Hudson. Martha’s Vineyard, Newport and the like.
Then in 2013 we got “Stuck” on the ICW several places due to high water. Our mast would not clear the fixed 65’ bridges. Rising sea levels made keeping our sailboat impractical. And no, we don’t like blue water sailing in the dark.
So now we have an air draft of 13’. Life is good.
THEN:
View attachment 72164
NOW:
View attachment 72165
Now the only problem we have is:
View attachment 72166
Terrific post and very entertaining!

I've always liked sailing as a one day hobby. At the end of the day I just want more creature comforts. Very different from when I was under 40.

Ted

We made the move to trawlers after 25 years of sailing. What really covinced us was due to comitments we where heading north on the south Florida icw into a cold nor'easter having just crossed over from the Bahamas. We where wearing fleece and foul weather gear hunkered behind our dodger watching trawlers heading south sipping hot drinks and waving at use and shouting we are heading the wrong way..That plus our age was telling us our sailing days where ending.
We moved to a Monk36 for 5 years and the last 11 years on the Manatee.

Last edited:
We dont have a trawler ....yet. Last two boats were sail, one 44' ketch and a 36' sloop. Lots of room on the 44. Very reasonable room on the 36. But because my wife cant work the fore deck anymore and I dont trust her at the helm in rough weather, we are looking at a Mainship 34 after a year without a boat. We are both in our 80s so baring some medical breakthrough I think it will be trawlers for the next 110 years. (I plan on seeing my 191st birthday on Mars)

We dont have a trawler ....yet. Last two boats were sail, one 44' ketch and a 36' sloop. Lots of room on the 44. Very reasonable room on the 36. But because my wife cant work the fore deck anymore and I dont trust her at the helm in rough weather, we are looking at a Mainship 34 after a year without a boat. We are both in our 80s so baring some medical breakthrough I think it will be trawlers for the next 110 years. (I plan on seeing my 191st birthday on Mars)

I love your spirit! Don’t under estimate the mrs. at the helm in rough water! :D

I love your spirit! Don’t under estimate the mrs. at the helm in rough water! :D

That comment was in reference to her at the helm AND ME ON THE FORE DECK. As long as I am inside, I wouldnt worry....LOL She took more than one 2 hour shift in a gale crossing from Tampa to St Marks Light and hit every buoy on time.

You swapped sailboat for a fat kid? OK, just kidding. Great looking child and I agree with the move. Am about to do the same thing. Did NYC to Key West a bunch of times. The ditch was not an option. Daft of 7.5'. Offshore is not for everyone. Good choice and good luck. selling the 'draft' and going trawler soon.

Alan

Well, I am a trawler guy. Still, if doomsday arrives I will pass on the 2.5 Million Daskew here in the yard and commandeer one of the seaworthy sail boats. Waterworld would makes the procrument of Diesel sketchie. There are a couple of Aluminum European 43 to 47 foot rigs whose owners are in Scandinavia, doubt they will mind or even Notice the absence under Waterworld circumstances.

Short of that, I will stay with what I have and stay a Trawler Guy.

There are a couple of Aluminum European 43 to 47 foot rigs whose owners are in Scandinavia, doubt they will mind or even Notice the absence under Waterworld circumstances.

Short of that, I will stay with what I have and stay a Trawler Guy.

Well, if the SHTF comes about, my AK-47 will get me a boat, water, food, anything I want.....LOL

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom