30 Mainship Pilot II GFCI Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brad T

Vessel Name
Ms. Sunita
Vessel Make
30 Mainship Pilot II
My wife And I just purchased a 2003 Mainship Pilot II. It has two GFCI outlets. One to the right of the sink and one in the head. The one to the right of the sink has a 20 amp GFCI outlet and the one in the head has a 15 amp GFCI outlet but, they both are controlled by the same switch on the breaker panel. This doesn’t sound correct. I’m assuming the previous owner replaced one of the GFCI outlets with the wrong amp. I cannot find anything on this in the manual. Do you know if these should be 15amp or 20 GFCI outlets?

Last edited:
"Do you know if these should be 15amp or 20 GFCI outlets?"

The wiring size and outlet box configuration will decide 15 or 20a.

20a in the galley is right for electric fry pans , hot plates and bread makers.

The 15 in the head might see a toothbrush or hair dryer

I cannot find anything on this in the manual. Do you know if these should be 15amp or 20 GFCI outlets?

If they are on the same circuit, as you say, one of them is superfluous and since the 15 amp breaker will pop first, I'd say you have a 15 amp circuit until you make some change.

Check the size of the conductors (wires). #14 would be 15 amp. #12 would be 20 amp. Also, the circuit breaker on the panel should match the conductor size. 20 amp would be #12 wire. 15 amp would be #14 wire.

If any of this confuses you, have an electrician check it out.

Back
Top Bottom