two days after the winter storm marina still iced in

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdowney717

Guru
Vessel Name
Old Glory
Vessel Make
1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
And I have loads of ice in the bilge still.
Some bilge pumps locked in the ice, so non functional.
I did not go there till the 6 inches of snow melted off the docks.

This is Chisman Creek in Seaford VA. Ice extends almost all the way across the creek. creek is tidal water, slightly salty, it still freezes anyway.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/srfMviIucG3uAmU82

It seems next week, more severe cold coming will get into the teens again at night. I have 2 separate bilge compartments on the boat, and the rear one is locked in ice. The forward one still has some free water mixed with ice, and one rule 3700 above the bilge water for emergency use. I really should have dried out the bilge before we got this last storm.

Attachments

• 20180111_134753.jpg
    20180111_134753.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 99
  • 20180111_134805.jpg
    20180111_134805.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Some environmentalists might frown at this suggestion, but if you can't dry your bilges completely, you can pour some RV (non-toxic) antifreeze in to mix with the water. Since it will be diluted by the bilge water, the stronger stuff would be best.

Putting this in and shower sumps and traps (if you have any) would b a good idea as well.

That sounds like a good idea. Pump it down first. My bilge can hold lots of water, so it might take lots of red antifreeze. Typically winters are not like this here. Last bilge freeze up this bad was in 2014. Prior to 2014, nothing that I can remember. Seems like global cooling!

That sounds like a good idea. Pump it down first. My bilge can hold lots of water, so it might take lots of red antifreeze. Typically winters are not like this here. Last bilge freeze up this bad was in 2014. Prior to 2014, nothing that I can remember. Seems like global cooling!

Yep, global warming!

I think there's a blue non-toxic antifreeze that's stronger (lower temperature protection).

Wow

If you have power available near your slip, you might pick up a Kasco DeIcer pump. They work great and will keep you slip and probably the adjacent slips free of ice. You just lower it beneath the boat (after chipping a hole in the ice) and hang it from your bow rails.

The pump brings up warmer water from down below and that, combined with the movement of water beneath your boat will clear out all the ice in about 24 hours or less.

492132.jpg

Pour some antifreeze in yo bilge and pump some out using your bilge pump to ensure no raw water in there. There is environmental friendly antifreeze.

L

I would move

Do not pour antifreeze into your bilge unless it is pink. Better suggestion if you have power use a heater such as an electric oil type as the others are not spark proof. Remember it is the bilge.

The real danger is frozen water in hoses or equipment, and if there are any that got damaged by expanding ice, it won't be evident until they thaw. No amount of antifreeze will help in that. Don't mean to be an alarmist, just a heads up that everything may seem fine while ice is blocking a break, but the leak starts after it thaws.

Can you slowly bring the bilge area/engine room to above freezing with small heaters? Then you can do it over the weekend and be there if anything goes awry.

Up here we use heat lamps and/or small ceramic heaters with fans and thermostats to hold the cold at bay.

Wishing you good luck and warm thoughts!!!!!!

Murray, given the average hull thickness at the waterline (if there is such a thing) on todays' plastic boats, how much thickness of the ice and for how long do you think the average hull would stand up to being frozen in?

Hull is not the issue but more your bilge pump, hoses etc that are in or full of frozen water.

L

Murray, given the average hull thickness at the waterline (if there is such a thing) on todays' plastic boats, how much thickness of the ice and for how long do you think the average hull would stand up to being frozen in?

Sorry, couldn't hazard a guess. Too many variables, like wind contributing to convective heat loss (which would be increased in a "draughty" boat) water movement, salinity, etc, but like Lou said, the hull isn't the issue.

Last edited:
Why we moved our

And I have loads of ice in the bilge still.
Some bilge pumps locked in the ice, so non functional.
I did not go there till the 6 inches of snow melted off the docks.

This is Chisman Creek in Seaford VA. Ice extends almost all the way across the creek. creek is tidal water, slightly salty, it still freezes anyway.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/srfMviIucG3uAmU82

It seems next week, more severe cold coming will get into the teens again at night. I have 2 separate bilge compartments on the boat, and the rear one is locked in ice. The forward one still has some free water mixed with ice, and one rule 3700 above the bilge water for emergency use. I really should have dried out the bilge before we got this last storm.

Boat from Hampton to the Bahamas this winter...:dance:

A boat being frozen in is no problem the hulls are strong enough.

The only hassles come in the spring , when the boat is freed from the ice by a few inches and grinds against the ice loosing boot stripe paint.

The ice at that point is usually thin enough to bust up with a boat hook.

For a liveaboard the noise below, of grinding against the ice is usually enough incentive.

Wood boats can get damaged along the waterline if the ice is just right and there is enough motion.

For the few winters that were bad enough when I was assistance towing, we would tow quite a few wooden boats that needed to he broken out of the ice and had been winterized to open water.

The big fear with a woodie is the ice freezing all the calking material , including the cotton.

A bit of motion can start a couple of seams , that few on board pumps can keep up with.

Whatever you do, if it's a gasoline powered boat, DO NOT use anything but an ignition protected bilge heater to warm or thaw the bilge!

No lightbulbs, no heaters from Walmart or the home center. And make sure the plug is outside the bilge, not in it. A frozen boat is better than an exploded boat.

The color of the antifreeze is not important. What is important is that it is "non toxic" and this will be stated on the label.

Some examples are here and the colors vary:

https://www.westmarine.com/antifreeze

people have been using the radiator style heaters for decades with never a problem I have heard about.

saying how to be careful is one thing...knowing how is a level of experience higher.

Back
Top Bottom