Ok tell me I'm crazy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooper

Veteran Member
I live in SW Florida . Last night I was working on the the boat in the canal close to 9 :45 . All the sudden boat is shoved into bumper like a boat went by but I live on the end of canal and had windows open and didn't hear anything? So then I thought it was my wife screwing with me ? Steeped outside looked around and she wasn't there ? Now the boat is still dancing on the lines like a 20 knot wind is pushing it around . Its dead calm not a ripple on canal ? So I think it may be a manatee rubbing on the boat so I walk all around boat , its only 4 foot deep , nothing ? So in panic of going crazy by myself call my wife who is doing laundry close to me and she walks down and notices same thing but diminishing now , Same questions , boat ? Manatee ? and see she sees nothing . By now there is no movement and dead still ? We shake our heads and go up to bed .
This morning we get up and notice that there was a earth quake at almost the same exact time in the Caribbean sea , Probably 4 to 5 hundred miles away as a crow flies? I don't have another answer ?

We experience the same effect in the marina fairways, no wake evident but a 30 inch rise and fall of the water,when a large ship passes by in the Genese river Rochester NY.

I don't think what you noticed is related to the Caribbean earthquake 500 miles away. It would take hours for the tsunami waves from that event to arrive at your location.

As Cliff says, more likely a passing large vessel close by.

David

Read up on Seiches, below an excerpt from Wikipedia
"Earthquake-generated seiches can be observed thousands of miles away from the epicentre of a quake. Swimming pools are especially prone to seiches caused by earthquakes, as the ground tremors often match the resonant frequencies of small bodies of water. The 1994 Northridge earthquake in California caused swimming pools to overflow across southern California. The massive Good Friday earthquake that hit Alaska in 1964 caused seiches in swimming pools as far away as Puerto Rico[citation needed]. The earthquake that hit Lisbon, Portugal in 1755 caused seiches 2,000 miles (3,000 km) away in Loch Lomond, Loch Long, Loch Katrine and Loch Ness in Scotland[12] and in canals in Sweden."
Not saying that is what it was but it is a possibility, lots more information available online.

Not to be disrespectful of all my knowledgably captains out there , but I have been on the water (same house actually ) 54 years , father was also Captain . We live at the end of canal ,on end of estuary creek a good mile from 5 foot deep water .I have experienced the sensation everyone has suggested , it was exactly like that ! But the canal is a half mile long , I could see to the end and again at the end of a narrow creek to get to canal another half mile to any open water that you have to go through a cut 50 foot wide to get into . I don't think it had anything to do with a tsunami , we didn't see water rise .I was looking at edge of canal while it was happening and again it looked just like a big boat had went by . With my dock configuration at end of canal I am really only 20 feet from the other side dock , really close quarters , so I am watching everything at this point . We feel like we have seen a UFO and no one believes us lol . If it had to do with something with earth quake , the live a boards in the Keys would of felt something also ? I don't know ? Another thind unexplained ? lol ati got my wife out there to experience it also or I would be feeling crazy .

Maybe the same tiger sharks the dingbats encountered crossing to Tahiti, trying to attack you.

I think it could be distant boats, but also could be sea life.

Steve it was something ? Watching the boat go back and forth on its lines was crazy. It was not like a up and down with a push outward like a boat wake or swell it was like a nervous horse on a leash , and its a 30 foot heavy boat ? IDK but never seen anything like it in my 50 years .Even told wife that i had heard boats do this in Earth quakes that night .May never know , but will look up what you posted .Thanks

May I suggest, by the time you looked to the open end of the canal, a boat had passed, moved out of sight and the wave was working its way down to the end of the canal? Sort of like when a jet passes over head, if you look to the direction of the sound, the jet is way on down the road.

There's big marine life there.....crocs, gators, bull sharks, manatees. If something tried to squeeze under your keel and got stuck, I imagine it would move the boat trying to wriggle free.

Or...it could be the sonic waves from the US Embassy in Cuba.

I'm on a dead end of a boat basin about 1000ft off the ICW. If a tug and barge go by in the ditch, the surge in the basin sets everything off, jerking on lines, etc.

Gator scratching his back on your keel, that's why you couldn't see him...

I have experienced several earth quakes while on the boat. Its a very strange up and down motion. There is no rocking or side to side motion and the water makes the strangest waves, looks like hundreds of cone shaped waves almost geometric in placement.

Back in the 70's I kept my boat in the Oakland estuary. One day I was on the boat at the dock and saw the pilings vibrating and the water was making crazy vibration ripples. It was definitely from an earthquake but the boat didn't move around much at all.

North Korea rocket bomb test!

Not to be disrespectful of all my knowledgably captains out there , but I have been on the water (same house actually ) 54 years , father was also Captain . We live at the end of canal ,on end of estuary creek a good mile from 5 foot deep water .I have experienced the sensation everyone has suggested , it was exactly like that ! But the canal is a half mile long , I could see to the end and again at the end of a narrow creek to get to canal another half mile to any open water that you have to go through a cut 50 foot wide to get into . I don't think it had anything to do with a tsunami , we didn't see water rise .I was looking at edge of canal while it was happening and again it looked just like a big boat had went by . With my dock configuration at end of canal I am really only 20 feet from the other side dock , really close quarters , so I am watching everything at this point . We feel like we have seen a UFO and no one believes us lol . If it had to do with something with earth quake , the live a boards in the Keys would of felt something also ? I don't know ? Another thind unexplained ? lol ati got my wife out there to experience it also or I would be feeling crazy .

I think Steve up above there re the earthquake thing was onto the answer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom