Just curious about something....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GFC

Guru
The majority of us on TF are here because we like boating which, by its nature is a lifestyle that usually involves meeting other boaters, making friends, etc.

Yet many on TF have shied away from putting much info in their profile. Often missing is the city and state names, their boat information, etc.

Are those people who don't provide much information reclusive? If so, why be a boater and more importantly, why be on TF which is a very gregarious society?

I'd like to hear from some of you who have chosen not to fill in the blanks in your profile.

Just curious.

Last edited:
The majority of us on TF are here because we like boating which, by its nature is a lifestyle that usually involves meeting other boaters, making friends, etc.

Yet many on TF have shied away from putting much info in their profile. Often missing is the city and state names, their boat information, etc.

Are those people who don't provide much information reclusive? If so, why be a boater and more importantly, why be on TF which is a very gregarious society?

Just curious.

In my case, I don't like my business world colliding with my personal life. That said, I don't put alot of effort into anonymity, just enough to make it tough for someone doing a search to learn too much. Oddly, if you were to search my name, most of the hits wouild mention that I am father to my children, each of whom has several pages of Google search results. Kids these days.

I don’t think I ever completed my profile! Gotta check that out. Doesn’t really matter since I live in a fish bowl.

GFC
My primary thought is that if user credentials were required social media would cease to exist.

I'd suspect your premise. I suspect many who like boating do so in order to NOT meet or deal with other people.

I'm not, by definition, "handy" and nothing in my careers prepared me to do maintenance on anything (well, OK, maybe a little on computers, out-dated knowledge now). Anyway, that in turn means I have to learn everything from scratch, often by reading. So I'm a data junkie; I usually read everything I can find, every day, relevant to the hobby du' jour (in this case, boating)... but that's more about educating myself than anything else. I'm not reclusive (though basic privacy is a goal), but I'm also not by nature social, gregarious, etc.

-Chris

Last edited:

I'd like to hear from some of you who have chosen not to fill in the blanks in your profile.

Just curious.

We value our privacy for many reasons that we feel no obligation to share, but understand we were far more private at one time than we are now and wouldn't have even come to the forum. We come here for the discussion and we like the interaction here. We share information where we think it's relevant or beneficial.

For many here, the TF online society and the in person society are the same and to those we think that's great. We have communication off the forum with some here but we choose to do that in private. While we think many people and the connections made here on the forum are great, we just don't choose to do those things publicly. While we participate on forums, we don't choose to participate in any social media. We've even met a couple from the forum without any note of our forum identity, just in the course of day to day activities. We also remain very private regarding our businesses with others serving as the face of them and the majority of employees not knowing who we are and none of our general acquaintances knowing what businesses we own.

Gregarious? Well, we normally cruise with at least 6 people and up to 12. And we celebrated our Florida Christmas over the weekend of the 30th to the 1st (tradition as on Christmas we're not in FL) and during those three days we had around 55 friends and their families at our home at one time or another. Actually my wife is the gregarious one and I'm really an introvert in my social life, although not business wise.

We admit openly to not fitting the prime demographic of the forum. Our boats don't fit. Our ages don't fit. However, our cruising grounds are the same and we average more nm per year of cruising than other forum members. As members have requested, we've shared the details including marinas of many trips including providing to two people our entire itinerary from Washington state home to Fort Lauderdale when we made that trip. We also have knowledge in other areas we share when appropriate and we learn much here even from very different types of cruisers. A good example would be we spent some time on Lake Superior while looping and Ted did the same. Although our speeds were different, we enjoyed sharing the experience.

We also just wouldn't fit in in many of the activities enjoyed by other members here. That's not meant as criticism of anyone and can be considered a reflection on us. That's fine. We're not at all into the drinking aspect of entertainment enjoyed by many. For instance, we follow the TF gatherings with some degree of envy, but a gathering that is as focused on alcohol as it is, just isn't for us. Yes, we could go and not drink, but we just don't enjoy being around so much drinking. Perhaps the fact we both had alcoholic fathers plays a role as we grew up around it. That's not saying it's wrong, nor saying you won't all have a great time there, just saying we wouldn't. It's also not saying we never consume alcohol.

We think you're all a great group of people and feel honored to be allowed to participate here. We just have for many years had to maintain a certain level of privacy and prefer to continue to do so. We know that bothers and even offends some, but it's not going to change. We have formed a very large extended family much to our shock and surprise at times and they're our group for opening up more even though there are parts of our past they don't even know.

Oh, and we do have location filled in I believe. Paradise. Otherwise known as Fort Lauderdale. Also, an area we can easily blend in as just two more boaters among the thousands.

Just curious.

Posted by someone using an alias, not his/her real name.

As some have suggested, it could be a matter of privacy. You have listed your location but not your name. I have used my real name on Internet forums in the past and it has come back to bite me. People have approached me and said "So you're the guy who thinks ......................... "

And keep in mind that someone can easily give a false location and even post a photo of someone else's boat as their avatar.

And keep in mind that someone can easily give a false location and even post a photo of someone else's boat as their avatar.

Wifey B: Yeah, that's the old dating routine, publish a photo of your hot friend. Seriously, someone uses their photo and a name, unless you see them you don't know. Dude makes date with unbelievably hot girl and someone entirely different shows up. Oh, a real question.

You make the date, you're in the restaurant and the real girl walks up and introduces herself and sits, admitting it was her roomie's photo. What do you do then? You'be been talking to her, like doing that. But she also lied to you to get the date. :confused:

Wifey B: Yeah, that's the old dating routine, publish a photo of your hot friend. Seriously, someone uses their photo and a name, unless you see them you don't know. Dude makes date with unbelievably hot girl and someone entirely different shows up. Oh, a real question.

You make the date, you're in the restaurant and the real girl walks up and introduces herself and sits, admitting it was her roomie's photo. What do you do then? You'be been talking to her, like doing that. But she also lied to you to get the date. :confused:

But some of us that do use a picture from time to time are real! :socool:

But some of us that do use a picture from time to time are real! :socool:

Wifey B: You most certainly are. Pictures everywhere, all beautiful. :)

This is not a site to attract fake pictures of people, not like match or harmony or any of those others.

Posted by someone using an alias, not his/her real name.

As some have suggested, it could be a matter of privacy. You have listed your location but not your name. I have used my real name on Internet forums in the past and it has come back to bite me. People have approached me and said "So you're the guy who thinks ......................... "

aboatman, it was not my intent to harass or upset anyone on here. If I unintentionally upset you I apologize.

Also, if you will take another look at my original post, I didn't ask anyone why they didn't post their name. I would never ask that of someone and would not post my name on an internet forum.

If you will notice, I asked why people didn't post their city and state names and boat names.

I use GFC because that's my login on other forums. Some people on there might recognize my login name on here.

For the record, my name is Mike. Hi!

I guess that a lot of people do not post their boat name, if registered it gives you all remaining info, including names and address.

L

I am not overly concerned about privacy. I'm not rich, I don't work in a security sensitive industry and I'm my own boss so don't have to worry about an employer's rep.

I have also had a lot of experience with virtual communities and never had any problems. Anyone with a tiny bit of interest can find out who I am and where I live.

I guess basically that I try to treat folks online just as I would if we were interacting with them in person. I have no more reason to hide my identity online than I do at church, the office, the grocery store, etc...

Others are in different situations and have some very good reasons for maintaining their anonymity. There are folks here on TF whom I have great fondness and respect for, even though the only things I know about them are what they post here. It doesn't matter that I don't know their real name, the name of their boat, home port or occupation. I appreciate their contributions to this virtual community of boating enthusiasts.

I’m afraid the deep state will come get me if I post too many details.

IMG_2247.jpg

I have boat name, its basic details and location listed, and my first name. In general I take the view that you only need one good reason to do something, but it does need to be a good reason! Equally, one good reason not to do something is also fair. Its your life, your choice.

The PM system works well for more detailed interaction. eg Just had a raft-up with another forum member who I'd met before at a boat show, and have had PM's with over a number of years. No need to share any of that publicly (who would care lol), and forum participation enabled it.

I open my free dock and workshop to cruisers (power and sail) because as a past live aboard & boat builder I realize how easy it is to cut a straight line on a table saw , how time consuming with a hand saw.

A 6x48 sander is a fantastic time saver , hard to have aboard.

IF in my garage there is a used part they need , its mostly free .

Of course Overnite is the usual limit of the invitation , so hard to take folks are soon gone.

I do not care who visits and don't need their life history , as they do not need mine.

I appreciate you FF. Thanks for all the help over the past few years answering my dumb questions, helping me reinstall the jib, letting me hide from hurricanes, etc.

We did overnight at Fred's some years ago, it is a very nice spot. Thanks again Fred!
Steve W

I use GFC because that's my login on other forums. Some people on there might recognize my login name on here.

...and your profile shows your name as Mike.

Having personally met Mike, I can attest that he is a very real guy and his name is actually Mike. He also happens to be a nice guy, but that's beside the point.

The toughest part of meeting forum members is that most of us go by two names! I'm bad enough with one name each! :facepalm: :D

aboatman, it was not my intent to harass or upset anyone on here. If I unintentionally upset you I apologize.

Also, if you will take another look at my original post, I didn't ask anyone why they didn't post their name. I would never ask that of someone and would not post my name on an internet forum.

If you will notice, I asked why people didn't post their city and state names and boat names.

I did not take it as harassment, but it did seem a little strange coming from someone essentially doing the same thing (no real name).

Unfortunately, this is the Internet and you have to be a bit careful what you post on the Internet. Most people are good people. Some are not. I once posted something about not owning a gun. Some people took that as an invitation to come rob me. Not actually but they thought it was a good idea to post that threat.

Not actually but they thought it was a good idea to post that threat.

You do receive threats from those online at times and never know which are serious. As to using facebook to play robberies, it's done all the time. You would think they would have better security but just look at the celebrity robberies in California. Of course always known where they are. Great success rate. Cyberstalking takes many forms and I did know someone who was victimized by it once.

While we consider those we talk with online to be friends, we also have to remember it's not like sitting in your living room or on your boat with friends as you can't see them face to face and don't really know them. That's where Trawler Forums does break the mold though. So many have met others who have met others who have met others that there is a significant amount of vetting. It's also a forum where members do have get togethers.

I'm not afraid to post my name and photo. It's Bond, James Bond.

589374de8370b70e212f3dbb.png

Good heavens GFC, I did not know you were my doppelganger!

Glad you chose well ie not the wussy Daniel Craig version!

I'm not afraid to post my name and photo. It's Bond, James Bond.

589374de8370b70e212f3dbb.png

Ahh. My less handsome older brother.
He never did quite get the hang of the accent thing. ?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom