How many have documented vessels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How many documented vessels do you own

• I have 2 or more documented vessels

Votes: 6 4.9%
  • I have 1 documented vessel

Votes: 102 83.6%
  • None of my boats are documented

Votes: 14 11.5%

• Total voters
We purchased our trawler this year. It was USCG registered by the previous owner and we also registered.

Here in the U.S., that would likely be "documented," not "registered." Latter is the word used for State paperwork.

-Chris

In another thread, this question was asked so thought this might be a way to find out.

Conundrum is documented as was the previous Conundrum.

One good thing about having the town you really live at as your port is that it makes a good way to meet people when cruising who live near you that you didn't know before. We've met several other cruisers we didn't know before that way.

One good thing about having the town you really live at as your port is that it makes a good way to meet people when cruising who live near you that you didn't know before. We've met several other cruisers we didn't know before that way.

Good point!

Thus... bi-level Conundrum to the highest degree! :thumb:

Indeed! What I can't believe is how long it takes for documentation to be updated.

Questions:

A documented boat requires a name an hailing port on the stern. How many states require this? I don't believe any, so if one wants to change the name, an undocumented boat is much easier... no title changes.

Is documentation required for a charter boat within the US?

For me, I don't see much value in being documented, with small trips out of the US to Canada and the Bahamas. Am I missing anything?

Yep, my last 3 boats have all been documented. As they all cruised in Mexico, this is very important! When checking in or out of Mexico, they want your certificate of documentation.

Cheers, Bill

Here in the U.S., that would likely be "documented," not "registered." Latter is the word used for State paperwork.

-Chris
Indeed. It was a pre-coffee post. Pardon the incorrect word usage.

Yep, my last 3 boats have all been documented. As they all cruised in Mexico, this is very important! When checking in or out of Mexico, they want your certificate of documentation.

Cheers, Bill
Montenido,

Feliz nueva Anos from baja sur!

Curious: did you have to buy a TIP for your entries into baja?

I know the Mexicans here at the border crossing love to see origional docs on everything I bring in (I'm ok with that), entering by land or water without "documentation" of a motorized boat over 15 feet (I think) and/or 7.5 HP motor is OK if a TIP for the vessel is bought or exists.

...did you have to buy a TIP for your entries into baja?..., entering by land or water without "documentation" of a motorized boat over 15 feet (I think) and/or 7.5 HP motor is OK if a TIP for the vessel is bought or exists.

The boat does not have to be documented. You do need the current original vessel documentation or current vessel registration that shows owner ship to get a TIP though (temporary import permit). The TIP system was set up for cars originally then they extended it to boats. You can get them on line, at local consulate or when you get to Mexico. Our last one we got in Ensenada.

Attachments

• 4587AE82-8ADB-4140-8405-B0018AED8B61.jpeg
    4587AE82-8ADB-4140-8405-B0018AED8B61.jpeg
    83.7 KB · Views: 36
  • E86C6105-0113-40F5-B90B-74900DFD4F65.jpeg
    E86C6105-0113-40F5-B90B-74900DFD4F65.jpeg
    103.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 7BDE2901-F493-46BE-A322-66727F7F4F81.jpeg
    7BDE2901-F493-46BE-A322-66727F7F4F81.jpeg
    63.9 KB · Views: 37
Side question - how do you display your vessel name and port when the dinghy is up?

I know people who put the boat name and hailing port on the bottom of their dinghy so the name is clearly visible when the dinghy is up and on its side.

Having the dinghy covering up the boat's stern and identity, shows that boat designers didn't have dinghys in mind when designing the boat. Who needs a dinghy when one goes from marina to marina?

Who goes from marina to marina?

Who counts their dingy as a lifeboat?

Who uses a dingy for a 1000 other reasons every day or nearly so when cruising?

Sorry Mark but couldnt resist.... :)

sorta like the flybridge discussion....

Who goes from marina to marina?

Who counts their dingy as a lifeboat?

Who uses a dingy for a 1000 other reasons every day or nearly so when cruising?

Sorry Mark but couldnt resist.... :)

sorta like the flybridge discussion....

Just saying, many boats are designed for marina-to-marina voyages because they aren't dinghy friendly.

Well, it looks like about 90 percent of responders say their primary boats are federally documented. I'm no exception. (And my dinghy isn't registered with the state either because it is manually powered.)

My insurance company says my dingy is too big. It is considered a boat by them, as such it has its own policy, it’s registered with the state, it’s not documented, is stowed on my upper deck. I’m guessing if I go to Mexico I will need to get the dingy it’s own TIP?

My insurance company says my dingy is too big. It is considered a boat by them, as such it has its own policy, it’s registered with the state, it’s not documented, is stowed on my upper deck. I’m guessing if I go to Mexico I will need to get the dingy it’s own TIP?

I wouldn’t worry about it unless it’s real big. :). We spent five years in MX and tenders never came up in the discussion. And even if you need a tip for it, the cost is $51 at customs or $48 via the internet and that’s good for 10 years. What a deal!

Lepke has it correct , only matters if you go to another country really. Your boat has a passport and as such your government will act for the vessel. My boats have always been red ensign flagged and as such are an entity and the U.K. Government will act for them where ever they are. It also means they are mortgageable items and exist. Same as deeds to a house, the surveyor warrants they exist etal, and you have title. 64/64th shares.

Lepke has it correct , only matters if you go to another country really. Your boat has a passport and as such your government will act for the vessel. My boats have always been red ensign flagged and as such are an entity and the U.K. Government will act for them where ever they are. It also means they are mortgageable items and exist. Same as deeds to a house, the surveyor warrants they exist etal, and you have title. 64/64th shares.

Yes but.....

A documented vessel is also easier to repossess by the bank. I.E. Alaska lenders almost always require the buyer to document the boat....

Yes but.....

A documented vessel is also easier to repossess by the bank. I.E. Alaska lenders almost always require the buyer to document the boat....

bingo...one of the main reason boats are documented in my experience.

when bought used for cash, often the documentation is dropped by the new dock condo owner... :)

We too have a USCG documented vessel; did so during purchase.

We hope to do some cruising in the coming years that would include Canada and possibly Bahamas, etc.
Plus I too do not like big state number stickers plastered on my bow (nor do I have bumper stickers on any of our cars ;) )
Though I will admit if you have to do state numbers, Nomad Willy has done it in a very tasteful way as they are tucked in right where his rub rail appears to become wider- that's a handsome Willard and with the two-tone paint and wood rails, it makes the state numbers less of an eye sore!

The last couple and this one are documented.

Just saying, many boats are designed for marina-to-marina voyages because they aren't dinghy friendly.

Wifey B: Well, Mark, let me 'splain. Even for those who go marina to marina, a lot of other uses for dinghy. Going exploring, going places the larger boat won't. We sometimes cover well over 100 nm. on a day in a dinghy. Have hit 200. Love them. Don't leave home without one. :)

Yet Mark is correct in that few boat designs under 50 feet really incorporate a good place for a dingy.....it usually takes aftermarket and often hard to install davit systems to even carry one.

But we do overcome with enough money and head scratching.... :)

Yet Mark is correct in that few boat designs under 50 feet really incorporate a good place for a dingy.....it usually takes aftermarket and often hard to install davit systems to even carry one.

But we do overcome with enough money and head scratching.... :)

Wifey B: When we were looking for our loop boat, even though over 50', still place for dinghy was huge consideration. So many people said we didn't need a dinghy. They have no idea how much pleasure we got out of it. :)

Wifey B: When we were looking for our loop boat, even though over 50', still place for dinghy was huge consideration. So many people said we didn't need a dinghy. They have no idea how much pleasure we got out of it. :)

For our style of cruising the dinghy is indispensable.

Back
Top Bottom