Slight List to Starboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since my four fuel tanks are located on extreme port and starboard sides, I need to rotate fuel use judiciously among the tanks to keep the boat level. Otherwise, boat neighbors and marina staff will think I'm sinking. Thankfully, I've a small pump capable of transferring fuel among tanks when needed.

I don’t like the idea of leaving a fuel tank partially empty to correct a list, particularly on a trawler that is a slow boat anyway so carrying a little extra weight isn’t a big deal, I want to carry the most fuel possible just in case I need it. I would recommend to fill the boat’s fuel, water and have it loaded normally and see what the trim is. If it is off, add some lead ingots to trim it properly and then you don’t have to constantly mess around trying to trim the boat. Just make sure to glass in the ingots so they can’t move in sloppy conditions.

It's not worth it to me to fill the tanks to capacity after an afternoon's cruise has only consumed less than five gallons verses a maximum fuel capacity of over 300 gallons.

List can be fairly common, particularly when you carry heavy battery banks, or add a generator or all-anchor chain rode. My Nordic Tug 32+ came from the factory with several 50 pound bags of crushed granite. With battery banks on starboard side, and adding 200 feet of chain to the bow, adjusting ballast bags was necessary to level the water line. Fully loaded for cruising, carrying full water and fuel tanks, I ended up raising the water line about 1 inch.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom