Old 12-30-2017, 08:42 AM   #27
RBack
Veteran Member

City: Nykarleby
Vessel Model: Åbo båtvarf Delfin 1962. 34'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
That’s where the engine belongs ..

That’s probably what the old “speed boats” like Chris-Craft, Correct Craft ect run so nice.
Ballance.

This boat is a trawler but dosn’t look like one. There are quite a few trawlers (at least lots of people call them trawlers) that aren’t trawlers but this boat is a trawler. However it falls short on accommodations. But is that needed? Probably so because trawlers are heavy cruisers. And cruisers have accommodations.
Well, the term "trawler" is to me personally a bit superfluous. I've just quickly read through the current "what is a trawler-thread" and I feel attaching a specific stamp onto something is mostly about us humans trying to organise and - through that - understanding our environment.

Probably I'm also affected by the Swedish translation of Trawler - which is trålare. And a trålare is strictly the particular fishing vessel made to drag the "trål". so it's also a language thing I guess. So in that perspective my boat more related to commuting boats or fishing boats made to go out laying nets and to go picking them up again. However those traditional boats where around here almost always traditionally completely open (without pilot house). Small (mostly aft) pilot houses started to appear in the 70's I think. This particular boat is only based on old fishing boats and that's because they (the hulls) behaves well in the water.
This boats original purpose was only transportation of staff to a lighthouse and a pilot station.

The Swedish term for this kind of double ended displacement boat is "Snipa" (in Norway "Snäcka").
My mothers tongue is Swedish - therefore these references.

Thus my headline of this thread is actually slightly ironic. But I do indeed like the kind of boats that are typical leisure (or live aboard) trawlers. And I wouldn't mid owning one. However I'd probably aim for one that is not so frequently mentioned in this forum (If I one day had the opportunity - read money).
RBack is offline   Reply With Quote