What makes a trawler yacht a trawler yacht?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Lou, you got the point exactly.
You're welcome Bob, I got you 5/5!
Where I stay I often explain the difference between my trawler and my neighbour cruisers, it is very simple. On a cruiser you jump on your boat, you go for lunch 50nm away and you are back before sunset. On the way you can see trees at the most. With my trawler I need 2 days to go 50nm away, but on my way I see the trees, the tree branches and the birds singing on the branches and all that sitting comfortably on my flybridge while enjoying a glass of good wine on my way and talking with my wife. Oh and also the fuel they burn on a round trip is what I burn in a season. :)

L

Agree. It takes a while to get where I'm going, but quiet enough to have a conversation at the upper helm. Took a friend on a 6 hour cruise this year and now he's looking for a trawler for this reason.

A 50 nautical mile trip takes me eight hours assuming no tidal influence. That is a two-day trip for me. Same for on the interstate highway: more than four hours is a pain. Not like in my 20s when I could drive for 20 hours straight

Last edited:
Thread Title: What makes a yacht a Trawler Yacht?

Evolved advertising nomenclature. Nothing less, nothing more!

So many ways to confuse the people ... Let's get it straight:

A trawler, in the recreational sense, means a boat with full living quarters (bed, toilet, shower, kitchen) and is unable to exceed hull speed and being fuel-efficient. Will rarely have two primary engines because the additional horsepower is unnecessary.

As for the boating experience, a trawler is anything one wants a boat to be.

From a long time ago Mark the # of engines has nothing to do w power.

We must all have yachts....which is why there are Yacht Clubs everyplace. Has anybody ever heard of a Boat Club?

We must all have yachts....which is why there are Yacht Clubs everyplace. Has anybody ever heard of a Boat Club?

If it was termed just a "Boat" Club... fees would probably be 20 to 30% less than the faux importance of a more fancy implication name such as "Yacht" Club. :thumb:

Psychological nomenclature marketing... Because... People like to be helped to feel important, especially by scoring word-points on what they own .:dance:

Nearly all of us on TF simply own pleasure boats. Nothing more and nothing less! :socool:

speed%20boat.gif

Last edited:
Well I've just re-joined a club that I was a member of back in the 1980's, and despite the name it's cheaper than the Yacht Club I have just resigned from.
Little Ship Club - Home

But I still think I own a boat, not a yacht or a (small) ship!

Last edited:
Well I've just re-joined a club that I was a member of back in the 1980's, and despite the name it's cheaper than the Yacht Club I have just resigned from.
Little Ship Club - Home

But I still think I own a boat, not a yacht or a (small) ship!

"Little Ship Club" That is cute! :D :lol: :thumb:

In the unbiased view of the average non boat owner, any boat kept at a marina would be considered a yacht.

PeterB,
Sailboats are obviously sailboats. Why would you want to call them by any other name? To raise their status of course if you call them a yacht. I could call my house a yacht too but it’s still a house. Very pretentious indeed.

Not pretentious Eric, just more accurate, from an historical standpoint. You clearly missed this...

Originally Posted by McGillicuddy
The word 'yacht' is an anglization of the Dutch word 'Jacht' and was a single mast sailboat with fore and aft sails. :flowers:

HaHa BandB,
Just jiv’in Peter. He knows most people call sailboats sailboats. Peter was just troll’in for a little “discussion”.
When in Rome ... probably 95% of us aren’t in the sailboat/yacht world. Yacht on TF is not a sailboat .... is it?

No...actually Eric, this statement is wrong..."He knows most people call sailboats sailboats." The term sailboat is almost unique to the US, (maybe Canada). The trouble is, most folk who live in the US think what holds there, must, by definition, hold everywhere else. Not so, my friend, not so... :nonono:

Even a little dinghy like a laser?

Yes, 'fraid so. If it has sails, it's a yacht. Period. In virtually all places other than the US, that is. :D

PS. In our part of the world, there is one two word term, that if mentioned, would basically explain what our type of boats are to most folk, and that is just the simple term 'Bay Cruiser'. This basically sums up Mark Pierce's definition above, while making clear it is not an ocean-crossing vessel.

Last edited:
Including RIBs, Speedboats, Pontoon boats....?

A playful game named "Yacht" was invented to help enliven the boredom hours aboard boat in mid 20th Century... i.e. well before our 21st Century TV daze!

Eventually the "Yacht" game morphed into a titled and fully marketed game named "Yahtzee" - it all began on a "yacht", in 1952... Was it a 100' sailing "yacht", or, was it a small outboard cabin cruiser - I currently am unaware. :facepalm:

According to Hasbro, the game was invented by an anonymous Canadian couple who called it "The Yacht Game" because they played it on their "yacht". Soon their boating friends asked for a copy of the game.

Thus - pleasure boating [yachting] is actually one big adult game... but, we all knew that already - didn't we??? :rofl: :whistling:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahtzee :speed boat:

We were waiting to lock through once, and when the lock opened, the tugboat in front of us called the lock master and said he was coming in, and added "and, I have a yacht behind me". One of my friends on the boat turned to me and said, "It's official, now. You have a yacht." :D

No...actually Eric, this statement is wrong..."He knows most people call sailboats sailboats." The term sailboat is almost unique to the US, (maybe Canada). The trouble is, most folk who live in the US think what holds there, must, by definition, hold everywhere else. Not so, my friend, not so... :nonono:

OK Peter,
I give up.
Ever heard that on TF?

Here’s a pic as a peace offering.

Attachments

• 2289A1C4-9FDA-4D07-ACD0-BAC5A017F6A7.jpeg
    2289A1C4-9FDA-4D07-ACD0-BAC5A017F6A7.jpeg
    58.4 KB · Views: 47
OK Peter,
I give up.
Ever heard that on TF?

No peace offering needed bros. We ain't at war...just having a robust debate.

Hey, that E-type jag looks a bit weird around the front, the lights are not standard. How do I know..? A friend had two of them, a manual and an auto. I never saw one that looked quite like that around the front. Were they modified for the US market..? S'posed to look like this...

Or...is it one of those Datsun 240Z E-Type lookabitalikes..?

Attachments

• Jaguar E-Type.jpg
    Jaguar E-Type.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Hey, that E-type jag looks a bit weird around the front, the lights are not standard. How do I know..? A friend had two of them, a manual and an auto. I never saw one that looked quite like that around the front. Were they modified for the US market..?

Agreed. The whole bonnet (hood?) seems wrong. Not e-type at all. I suspect it was in a major front-end crash and was modified thereafter. Correct?

But hey, this is a thread drift, so let's bring it back - are you saying that 'e-type' is a trawler or what?

OK Peter,
I give up.
Ever heard that on TF?

Eric

Nice picture of a 1960s Toyota Supra. This was the era that Toyota began its ascent and Jaguar the opposite, still trying to relive the E Type. Maybe the F Pace, Land Cruiser cloning and Indian ownership will re-ignite the J badge.

Oh, and Toyota is readying to launch a new Supra.

Land "Yacht"! LOL

1967 Buick Wildcat

Attachments

• 67 Wildcat & Art.jpg
    67 Wildcat & Art.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 56
Papabear,
You’re right I’d love to have a car talk but thread drift is a problem here. I’ll only say that I had a 140MC and never was terribly familiar w the E type. So I think this pic looks fine.

The pic of the Toyota 2000 was just to tickle Peter’s bones. He drives a wannabe 2000. The Supra .. in red.

Sunchaser,
The Supra is a common car compared to the Toyota 2000. Look at the pic again.

This forum needs a place for car talk and airplane talk. Many here love to talk about these non-trawler things but there’s a more important aspect of the question. The aviation and automotive world is closely related to the boating world. When I was into ultralight aviation I was amazed at how many motorcyclists there was among us. And our hanger talk was hugely injected w cars and motorcycles.

It looks like the harbor chat section is clearly for boats so am I right that we should have a car and airplane section?

Last edited:
Papabear,
You’re right I’d love to have a car talk but thread drift is a problem here. I’ll only say that I had a 140MC and never was terribly familiar w the E type. So I think this pic looks fine.

The pic of the Toyota 2000 was just to tickle Peter’s bones. He drives a wannabe 2000. The Supra .. in red.

So as we close this thread drift, have a look here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_E-Type
Jaguar E Type for Sale | Classic Cars for Sale UK

Happy dreaming - and a very Happy New Year to one and all.

It looks like the harbor chat section is clearly for boats so am I right that we should have a car and airplane section?

No. People that want to talk about airplanes and cars should go to a car or airplane forum. This is a boating forum.

No. People that want to talk about airplanes and cars should go to a car or airplane forum. This is a boating forum.

Yes, in fact maybe 50% of the posts here are about boating.

My Ocean Alexander is a trawler because OA said so when they built it...LOL

When I think of a yacht, I think of those 150 ft plus monstrosities that require a full crew to operate whether sail or power.

When I think of a yacht, I think of those 150 ft plus monstrosities that require a full crew to operate whether sail or power.

Since sail boats seem to use their engines for more than 50% of the time they are not moored up, does that mean they are actually motor boats and not sail boats? Trade description come to mind.

Hmmm.

Since sail boats seem to use their engines for more than 50% of the time they are not moored up, does that mean they are actually motor boats and not sail boats? Trade description come to mind.

Hmmm.

When you consider the Maltese Falcon, a "sailing" yacht has to keep it's diesels running 24/7 when cruising to power the sail hydraulics, burning more gph than 4 40 ft trawlers at WOT, maybe?

Back
Top Bottom