Old 12-26-2017, 09:42 PM   #32
Nomad Willy
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I'm amazed at the fact that the vast majority are documented. Perhaps this puts to rest the beliefs by some that very few here have documented vessels so it's irrelevant to discussions.
Irrelevant?
May be even more relavant. But it seems there are plenty of doc boats here that can legality choose a hailing port anywhere within the country. But why is doing it in the first place attractive. Why I don’t know but I know little about boat documentation.

State licensing seems so inexpensive and easy why would anyone do anything differently?

Well, doc or state licensed either one can choose to post their boats home port where the boat is moored. There are exceptions like Sunchaser who have situations that would lend to one of three home ports. But most of us have no reason to list their home residense as the hailing port for their boat. One member said it’s all about money. I can see no connection there at all unless the doc is cheaper than the state lic and unless state lic in many states is very much higher than what I’ve experienced in Wa and Ak that’s not a good reason.

But obviously there’s some reason for all the doc boats. What’s motivating all this federal documentation?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote