New boat table found on street

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdowney717

Guru
Vessel Name
Old Glory
Vessel Make
1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Neighbor tossed this. It was abused, worn finish, joints were come loose, someone had written on the top with an ink pen. This I knew would fit in my salon next to my chair. It is made of cherry wood. It also needed 2 new inner pieces that frame the drawer floor shelf. And the joints were loose. I took it all apart and reglued and made some new parts and sanded and stained it with Minwax Ipswitch pine color. About a week to get to this stage.

Some of the little steel nails I used little 1" long SS screws. They wont rust like steel nails and will hold better.

It needs a clear coat next.

Some pics, it turned out really nice.

y4mheVk0mxqRIB2tSYUv5tEZADxbfGXA97cnfsj2QBidGJqSi167TWmNWtjSxXWDOzuREMN30spwDyGljN7YHVK8O5md54Q3aq6gqII4wVqO2eWTqSJyl0cepJhokCrfiMRxskigFV9_jaSEXb3Nldv4PIILVBMiebwjSLjGbrSDMQP1r_nLr3vtceSvUw3HOZu-uSowWvMO5A42E0eZceDyg

y4mL7MaYJAweDVDD5mJIucS64t9eVDzEa8-6pydZiJ0XwrjSmDdIGuztvq5JgMpbIyYnvbKL8GipYljy6CUK8xZQwXptDm19_x0xVJ1YXT9Yi8tNavdVXk8W3yi3xib3O9D5LFINfsbgeXUguR1PMMZLK17KTIoqNNc9ayLYXOcRL_nUlQTbQ6tM4Cnr8OP1IELm2wySPdtcHgVm1CMyFlOog

y4m50reVPlm33P7-ABhXiipRiGsV8IlPhNdoDWDZZFKHdEC5_1LCJ80JsLC5Y4ufaXV5Y2_AShs-Fpd-WCbq0x5SmszQ9Eruq83LVLK46gnT4AF6Spz6vjZ1JnqnTjyHJl5cH8a6Sj0HuQMP-T2MDfPNRd2iQMOqSJQzxnXyun6v9sxnWmCKCZ8lpiCNyz8u71daKhSwRTCu8_8AO3aQywU9Q

y4m-PLM89FXFIZE9SBQ1Qv9U1ECbCMD_hOsbJHWsE9T-x2cuDG9yGoTLLm9RZIh8hOWAvfPNf3hTrn_sPdvZC3e-X9whIrz0R2RHlVrcjbUC-hNWc0CRWd4x0ZhX5R2TGhe97Gq5A67GPnym-eeCrwMJZ6O7cbiSyy1xILIx8h5pk6-JaaEgxsICwkCbvAKhry3dt6PAI-YkxUp2eC_yzSXHw

y4mbOSmeSrG7hpnTWQIPfsfelOherG8wDzC5EzgQFIDbPpSp06gllXmakqlSgDT08XQvaNMEad0-6wKnKAMmWKd3aVeZ7KLpgvKzWySg8e0dJFAG5jWOHg2hX2IXAxur0meWD8dZbh2bAXbi2AXKuJsKoirwaVSIsN75x4jLO3g2MelijAo3K7_BFiLvyPIY8FnPycvqjklvGYsR2V5Zyc0lA

y4mdbZUkG5dwKjf72n7ITSBHR7iQ2Amz8Iiot3fdHnDr-7bXsQ9a58PoGlgFuL4okuSVDGFonfHwQi-nFAb-uiFZCSwBY54JZR5gazEwt_WbHkYOXYL5XvTwK6hpnMMcXpFfxNBcFAEzhRFs9E4bZM8KjuAmNVGMk-Iofbia24cbDexmmXwoBxfJGlEnAmah2U3QrfNQMR9WYvjX2Mp9lmWXw

Seeing it was real cold weather, I stripped off the failed finish in my home shower using the citri-strip.

Last edited:
Well worth saving. I’ve used the citri-strip with pretty good results also. Clever idea about the shower.

Did you show that to your neighbor yet?:)

Even with citristrip, finish was tough to remove. Took several apps of stripper and a tootbrush and scrunges.

The neighbors are down a few streets away.

I read cherry wood gets redder with age, and it seems to look a richer color now than when first stained.

SD, correct. Freshly cut Cherry is nearly pink (individual trees, and species' color varies). The wood gets darker and browner with age and sunlight. That's one reason that commercial furniture makers stain their work with reddish stain; they then don't get complaints from buyers and it meets buyers' initial expectation. Another reason is to reduce the contrasting colors that the wood has naturally. Note that the top of your table sports wood in several colors (I can't quite understand the color of the board closest to the front; looking at the end grain, it looks like it's part heart and part summer wood but then turns darker in the front-most 3".) Your light Pine or a manufacturer's reddish Cherry stain takes some of the contrast out.

The two pictures are of a harpsichord that I made in the summers of 1971-2. The natural keys are Cherry and the sharps are Walnut; the key itself is Maple. The body of the thing is Virginia Red Cypress. One pic shows the keys when new and w/o finish; the other is pretty recent. (It's a reproduction of a 15th c Italian instrument. It should have an outer case with lid and would have been played out of its case.)

Attachments

• 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1030.jpg
    IMG_1030.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 62
One man's junk is another man's treasure. Nice job on finding and refinishing it. It's very nicely done.

I love it when I find stuff like your table that need just a little ILC to be turned into a very useful item.

Looks like a wash stand for a pitcher and bowl. Nice find.

Real wood is becoming very valuable it's so hard to find. They started going to laminates back in the 70's maybe earlier. We had a pine table that I was certain was solid. When I put the belt sander to it I found out otherwise. The wife was not happy. Nothing is made to last anymore except maybe certain trawlers.:)

Nice job, it looks great!

Looking good. Well worth the effort.

Nice addition to your boat. Good job on the restoration/refinish. Thats the stuff that makes a boat "your yacht"

Back
Top Bottom