View Single Post
Old 12-26-2017, 06:42 AM   #133
firstbase
Guru

City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
Right or wrong, don't think there is one on this subject though, I always thought the hail port was where the boat called home. Ships travel the world, go to many ports, stay away for long periods of time. When all is said and done the place on the transom was home. My wife and I both call Annapolis home, where we grew up, High School, home base when in college, got married and still have family. Although we left on our "adventure" and moved/lived in many places, none of them have ever really become "home". When it came time to name and document the boat we discussed our hail port. We bought the boat in one city and kept it there for a short period, moved it to a slip in another city a few hours away, and then to a slip in another city a couple of months later . All while having our brick and mortar home in a totally different city and retirement plans to move somewhere else in a year or two. With the difficulty and time needed to change USCG documentation I'm not going to change it to match the boats current location. There really is only one place we call home so that ended that discussion. Hey, it's a "pleasure" trawler not a work boat. A lifestyle, right? Everything is sort of open to interpretation, whatever floats your boat. That's my story, sticking to it.
firstbase is offline   Reply With Quote