Old 12-25-2017, 04:23 AM   #28
Russell Clifton
Guru

City: La Conner Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakbuilder View Post
  • Do you live close to docks and marinas where you can walk pat hundreds if not thousands of vessels and get a feel for the goal?
  • No, I am in Arkansas. When my house sells, we are gonna find an extended stay motel or such and from there, the search begins in person, not by internet only.
  • Where are you looking?
  • NC south to Keys and then Gulf coast all the way to South TX
  • Previous boating experience?
  • Just small ski boat
  • Budget range?
  • 15-25K
  • Size of vessel you desire?
  • 30-43' Trawler (+/-)
  • Anticipated cruising grounds?
  • Southern East and Gulf coasts to start, then maybe Great Loop and/or Bahamas
  • Live aboard or casual use?
  • Live aboard full time
  • Why a trawler (a generally non descript term) vs say a 35 foot Bayliner or 26 foot Cape Dory?
  • Mainly by recommendations. Want a displacement Hull & diesel power.
  • How fast do you want to go?
  • When the house sells, then as fast as is practical. Meaning not so fast as to settle for the wrong boat.
Time for a reality check. You aren't looking for a boat that can be readily used, you are looking for a project. Live aboard boats in that size range, in that price range, will not be in the condition to do what you want. You need to go to Yacht World, enter in some search parameters like type of boat (all power), length ( minimum/maximum), engine ( single or twin, gas or diesel), area of the country to look, price range, etc,etc. Let me know how many come up in that price range. If you do they probably have sunk in a hurricane. A buyers broker would have no interest in showing a boat in that price range. The boat will need so much work that it will not be insurable, so now you can't moor it in any marina. The list goes on and on.
Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote