What makes a trawler yacht a trawler yacht?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
“Yacht” is a term that comes with baggage, for sure. We belong to Privateer Yacht Club in Chattanooga. It’s a wonderful group of friendly, down-to-earth people and avid racing sailors and there’s not a “yacht” anywhere on the premises. (I’ve wondered if the name was chosen tongue-in-cheek because the most prevalent boats back in the day we’re Snipes.) Still, the club’s name sounds pretentious and we hate for people to think we’re putting on airs, so we usually tell folks we belong to a “sailing club.” Reverse snobbery or co-dependency on our part, I guess.

Trawler = Designed for cruise speed < (LWL^.5) * 1.33 with styling at least vaguely imitative of a commercial craft.

Motoryacht = Designed for cruise speed > (LWL^.5) * 1.33 with styling clearly indicating being designed for pleasure use.

Simple, really.

Roger Long wrote;
“Motoryacht = Designed for cruise speed > (LWL^.5) * 1.33 with styling clearly indicating being designed for pleasure use.”

Seems simple enough but by that measure a Seadory would be a “Motoryacht”.
What does “^” mean?

What does “^” mean?

It means I can't make a square root sign on my computer. Raising a number to the .5 power gives the same result so this is just the formula for the generally recognized upper limit of "Hull Speed" or pure displacement operation.

Yes, I would consider a Seadory to be a motor yacht. A yacht is any non-commercial vessel operated for pleasure. If I had a Seadory, I would call it a "motorboat" though so as not to appear silly. BTW, I prefix our craft with M/V. After a professional lifetime spent in the commercial boat world, I just can't do "yacht".

Last edited:
OK Roger,
The Seadory is a pleasure boat and that makes it a yacht (but only in the strictest terms) and they are powered. So OK I’ll admit that in the darkest corner of the ..
But in the real world a yacht is about half way between the Seadory and a 65’ professionally crewed “big motoryacht”. Just my opinion of course. And there are a few + other good concepts already mentioned.

about the only universal one I can live with is what Northern Spy offered up. :)

Ed Monk Sr. that designed my boat called it a diesel cruiser, so that’s what I call it. I had a 23’ San Juan years ago, probably that was a jacht, but Clark called it a sailboat, so that’s what I called it.

For many of my young years, while growing up from pre kindergarten to about 6th grade, my family of five [3 boys - I'm the middle] spent much time [occasionally as much as 4 weeks at a time] aboard a fast little 23' 1948 Chris Craft Express. More fun was had than can be imagined.

From there the boats got somewhat bigger. Ending up with sport fisher 38' raised deck, fly bridge, diesel powered cruiser we fished from and often used for pleasure trips up and down the New England coast.

Reason I mention this: - Far as I'm concerned... For years that 1948 23' Chris was the most fun and finest yacht in existence... when I was very young!

Nomenclature for a boat is all relative... considering the size of a boat and what you or anyone else may call it or think of it during given times of life!

:speed boat: :dance: :thumb:

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Its A Yacht if the captain wears a Greek Fisherman hat.

I have one, but don't wear it because it is (literally as opposed to figuratively) too large to fit my head.

“Yacht” is a term that comes with baggage, for sure. We belong to Privateer Yacht Club in Chattanooga. It’s a wonderful group of friendly, down-to-earth people and avid racing sailors and there’s not a “yacht” anywhere on the premises. (I’ve wondered if the name was chosen tongue-in-cheek because the most prevalent boats back in the day we’re Snipes.) Still, the club’s name sounds pretentious and we hate for people to think we’re putting on airs, so we usually tell folks we belong to a “sailing club.” Reverse snobbery or co-dependency on our part, I guess.

In my world, boat-owning yacht-club members by definition all have yachts

When I first got into the investment business nearly 40 years ago, I was told to seek out clients that had yachts not boats. I didn't quite understand the distinction and was told that one defines a yacht as a vessel that doesn't move when you step aboard.

Wifey B: I decide :D I am the self-appointed Goddess of deciding what is and isn't a trawler. I will render such decisions when I wish and based on my own mood at the time. I might consider offerings made at my altar or how I'm talked to. There will be no fee for the decision although voluntary contributions (I know it sounds like bribes but they aren't as I may still rule against your wishes if I choose) may help tilt the scales of justice in your favor. Also, there may be two apparently identical boats that I give differing answers on as they may well have different personalities. :rolleyes:

And what led me to declaring myself in charge? Seeing that no other system works at all and people keep circumnavigating the world of this topic so felt I might as well seek some personal gain out of the total futility of worrying about something I'd think no one would give a flying f... about. :rofl:

It means I can't make a square root sign on my computer. Raising a number to the .5 power gives the same result so this is just the formula for the generally recognized upper limit of "Hull Speed" or pure displacement operation.

√ is found in the "character map". You can go to "advanced" and search for it.

This question is often asked so, in the sprit of putting it to rest, I consulted an expert in the form of my 7 year old granddaughter.
" A Yacht has a twirly thing on top, If there is no twirly thing it is a boat"
I hope that this puts the age old question to rest...

That may be my favorite response of all time to this debate -- although now I have to go down to the marina and take the dome off the Furuno so my boat becomes a yacht with a visible twirly thing.

You have a true trawler when you are followed by a flight of seagulls :)

L

Coincidentally I just got back from the county treasurer's office to renew the state registration on the boat/yacht/motoryacht and everything else. The state registration card for the Mainship says "Motoryacht" because that's what Mainship itself called that model, so that's what they put on the card. The clerk at the window said something like:

"Okay, here are your stickers for the Bayliner...and the Bayliner trailer...and here's the Zodiac...and here are the stickers for the thirty-seven inch yacht. Thank you!"

Thirty seven inches?? That's definitely not a yacht at 37 inches, whether it has a twirly thing on top or not.

Wifey B: I decide :D I am the self-appointed Goddess of deciding what is and isn't a trawler. I will render such decisions when I wish and based on my own mood at the time. I might consider offerings made at my altar or how I'm talked to. There will be no fee for the decision although voluntary contributions (I know it sounds like bribes but they aren't as I may still rule against your wishes if I choose) may help tilt the scales of justice in your favor. Also, there may be two apparently identical boats that I give differing answers on as they may well have different personalities. :rolleyes:

And what led me to declaring myself in charge? Seeing that no other system works at all and people keep circumnavigating the world of this topic so felt I might as well seek some personal gain out of the total futility of worrying about something I'd think no one would give a flying f... about. :rofl:

Yes my queen.......:eek:

In my world, boat-owning yacht-club members by definition all have yachts

In my world, that would be a false syllogism . . . unless you consider these yachts.

Attachments

• 603DB052-03F6-4CEE-AE5F-68A693AEF365.jpg
    603DB052-03F6-4CEE-AE5F-68A693AEF365.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 46
Yes my queen.......:eek:

Dear Wifey B

In your honor as TF Goddess... I provide my time for personally honoring your position.

If I may, again in your honor [and because of your delightful youngness of mind and heart]... I must say I think of you as a Princess; thankfully not yet old enough to be a Queen.

So...

Dear Goddess, Princess Wifey B [with time that creates age you will surely become Queen] I request you to bequeath the title of "Pleasure Cruiser" [not trawler] upon our Tollycraft, a very fun to own and use boat.

I bow to your beauty and wisdom!

Your humble fellow TF boating nut! :thumb:

Art - :speed boat: :socool:

Dear Wifey B

In your honor as TF Goddess... I provide my time for personally honoring your position.

If I may, again in your honor [and because of your delightful youngness of mind and heart]... I must say I think of you as a Princess; thankfully not yet old enough to be a Queen.

So...

Dear Goddess, Princess Wifey B [with time that creates age you will surely become Queen] I request you to bequeath the title of "Pleasure Cruiser" [not trawler] upon our Tollycraft, a very fun to own and use boat.

I bow to your beauty and wisdom!

Your humble fellow TF boating nut! :thumb:

Art - :speed boat: :socool:

Wifey B: Pleasure :D:D Cruiser, it is, and hope lot's of pleasure. :dance::dance::dance:

The word 'yacht' is an anglization of the Dutch word 'Jacht' and was a single mast sailboat with fore and aft sails. In the 17th century they started to become popular with noblemen in England and were used for leisure and sport rather than work. Thus started the reputation of yachts being for the rich and were definitely sailing craft.
Vessels primarily powered by other than sail are not proper yachts.

Thank you McGillicuddy, for that. So clearly we in the antipodes are more correct.

This question is often asked so, in the sprit of putting it to rest, I consulted an expert in the form of my 7 year old granddaughter.
" A Yacht has a twirly thing on top, If there is no twirly thing it is a boat"
I hope that this puts the age old question to rest.

Correct statement - wrong interpretation by Gary. The granddaughter was clearly referring quite correctly to the wind direction indicator (+/- anemometer), when she referred to the twirly thing, all yachts have at the top of the mast. Not, I repeat, not, the rotating type of radar transmitter. These are almost never seen on a yacht, because if it has radar, it would be in an enclosed dome.

As Bruce and Pete noted above, in these parts a yacht is a sailboat.

Confirmed by McGillicuddy above, so totally agree with that Brian. However, have to disagree with this statement...

And in particular a sailboat over 40', most likely with an owner who turns his nose up at powerboats and won't wave or acknowledge them at all. These guys are often miffed that their wives like and aspire to the comforts power boat owners take for granted.

Having owned two yachts under 40 feet, I still called them yachts, and never turned my nose up at any fellow boatie as long as they at least tried to obey the rules. It was me, not the wife, who often envied power boaties who were able to just rock up to an anchorage, flicked a switch, and down went the anchor - reverse process when leaving. Much more laborious for me, furling sails, managing an outboard, and then manually anchoring. I also envied the lovely covered cockpit protection from the baking Queensland sun, and thunderous downpours. So, I sold the yacht, and I joined the club. :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom