Bird poop on canvas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

k9medic

Vessel Make
420AC Sea Ray
Lately seagulls have been using my bimini top as a bathroom.

I’ve tried to clean the top with purple cleaner, 303 And now bleach water without success.

Does anybody have ideas how to clean this crap off?

Last edited:
I sure hope you meant to say Bimmini top. If the seagulls are really using your Bikini top then I would take that as a sign to move in doors. LOL

I have never had Sunbrella stain, you might just try a pressure washer and then once clean I would Scotch guard it. I have never tried "30 second wash" on Sunbrella its basicly a sodium phospate and bleach mix. It works on fiber glass really well.

I have never had Sunbrella stain, you might just try a pressure washer and then once clean I would Scotch guard it. I have never tried "30 second wash" on Sunbrella its basicly a sodium phospate and bleach mix. It works on fiber glass really well.

Agree, I use a pressure on mine and the crap is easily removed. Be sure to waterproof it afterward.

Agree, I use a pressure on mine and the crap is easily removed. Be sure to waterproof it afterward.

The Sunbrella website says to use woolite and gentile cycle in washing machine - I've done this with pretty good success, if you top is large you might have to go to a laundromat that has the BIG machines...hung it out to dry - NO drier.

K9, if the birds persist, consider twirly-things for up top. They spin in light winds, are about 4 feet across, and keep the birds away most of the time.

Better yet, moor near sailboats, the birds go for high ground!

My wife's preferred Sunbrella color is what she calls "Sea Gull Poop". Now you know why she likes it.

I had a Gull Sweep on a previous boat. The birds would eventually learn to just hop up each time it came around. But the real problem with it was a big storm came through when I was not around and tilted it so that the end would rub in a half circle. Wore through the $2000 bimini top by the time I next got to the boat... never use one again. I use the Spyder type now.

Lately seagulls have been using my bimini top as a bathroom.

I’ve tried to clean the top with purple cleaner, 303 And now bleach water without success.

Does anybody have ideas how to clean this crap off?

I have had this problem too. Use a scrub brush and some dishwashing soap in water. Scrub till loosened and rinse thoroughly. I'm sure a pressure washer will work too, just be careful how close you get with it.

Ken

At the wildlife museum I volunteer, simple green is what's used for cleaning up bird poop.

I used the pressure washer, making use of the liquid soap/detergent feature first to allow the material to soak briefly, to remove mildew and bird stuff. Avoid high pressure on the seams unless due or planning a restitch. After that, a cycle in the washing machine,ours is a gentle front loader.

Hi,

Here is a manufacturer who invented to connect electricity to fabric and birds can not spend time like Bimini top because they get a little electric shock :eek:.

I do not know if the US is similar? Company ad ... "Can I get rid of logs? Help is available from VA Log The bird gets a small electric shock after landing on the roof of the boat. The electric shock effectively prevents the birds from being on the boat's surface, so that the problems caused by bird folias are greatly reduced. The bird's electric shock is not harmful to the bird. The VA-Seal is designed to operate on a boat and is easy to use. The VA-Log is a patented product that can be installed on a new canopy when the canopy is renewed. The VA-Log is only available in a new jacket manufactured by VA-Varusteen. The product is always designed for a boat specific. The sealed circuit is watertight and, to ensure watertightness, the roof of the canopy is still saturated with the material supplied with the product. "

iu

NBS

The Sunbrella website says to use woolite and gentile cycle in washing machine - I've done this with pretty good success, if you top is large you might have to go to a laundromat that has the BIG machines...hung it out to dry - NO drier.

Just don't put dish washing soap in the washing machine. It was working ok until all these suds starting coming out from every seam. Soon it was creeping across the floor threatening to swallow up the kids. I only put a 1/4 cup in! The manager wasn't to happy about it. :eek::eek:

I've done several tops but never in a macine...always used bathtub at home.
Key was soak time and then gentle agitation and/or soft brush.
Always followed Sunbrella recommendations w Woolite or Ivory... soap not detergent and bleach for when it was very bad.
Several rinses also important.

Retreated w 303 per directions
Library section should have a file on Sunbrella Cleaning & Care

I'd use hose pressure but not P washer.
I had a canvas repair job where local Service Master frachise power washed a store awning...removed the stain but also removed the fabric

Last edited:
Hi,

Here is a manufacturer who invented to connect electricity to fabric and birds can not spend time like Bimini top because they get a little electric shock :eek:.

I do not know if the US is similar? Company ad ... "Can I get rid of logs? Help is available from VA Log The bird gets a small electric shock after landing on the roof of the boat. The electric shock effectively prevents the birds from being on the boat's surface, so that the problems caused by bird folias are greatly reduced. The bird's electric shock is not harmful to the bird. The VA-Seal is designed to operate on a boat and is easy to use. The VA-Log is a patented product that can be installed on a new canopy when the canopy is renewed. The VA-Log is only available in a new jacket manufactured by VA-Varusteen. The product is always designed for a boat specific. The sealed circuit is watertight and, to ensure watertightness, the roof of the canopy is still saturated with the material supplied with the product. "

iu

NBS

After sitting all night on high voltage electrical lines this must come as quite a shock to the birds.

Yes it does and reading the maintenance and cleaning information on that site should be the first thing you do before trying to clean it.

Boaters and pooping birds have been at odds with each other since the first man hollowed out a log to cross the river. So far, the birds are winning.

If I used a pressure washer on my canvas every time a bird pooped on it, I would have blown holes in it by now. It's best if you clean up bird poop as quickly as possible because it can stain canvas and even gelcoat. The problem is, of course, more poop will show up within a few days.

I've never seen bird deterrents work. I've seen birds perched on the fake owls and I've seen them just hop over the fake snakes and spike strips. The "whirly things" only move when the wind is blowing and the birds learn to perch out of reach of their path.

I once saw a suggestion to put a dead bird on a pole on your boat. Apparently, it has to be a natural bird, not a chicken from the grocery store. I've never tried that but it seems impractical.

So anyway, I wash my canvas with soapy water and a brush when I see bird poop. It doesn't get it all off but it gets most of it. When it gets really bad, I remove it and wash it in a machine according to the Sunbrella instructions but that usually results in some failed stitching so I have to re-stitch that part.

The bottom line is, the birds have nothing better to do and there are way more of them than there is of you. They are going to win.

This is the first year I have had a problem with it.

The fabric is a sand color and you can still see the poop stains from underneath.

It's a big top that is connected to isinglass so it will be a mess to take down but I might just have to.

We also have sand coloured Sunbrella and were bombed by purple poop (berries ?) the day after installation. We have tried every method mentioned in this thread and had it professionally cleaned. Stains are still prominent.

Peroxide works amazingly well on wine stains... might work as well for berries.
You might try some on one of the stains.
Its best if still fresh but worth a try.

Peroxide works amazingly well on wine stains... might work as well for berries.
You might try some on one of the stains.
Its best if still fresh but worth a try.
Interesting on the wine stains. If i ever spill again I sure will try that.

Interesting on the wine stains. If i ever spill again I sure will try that.
Another handy red wine spill trick...
While still wet blot up what you can then dump salt... lots of salt from a box on the spill and wait 10-15 min while you watch the salt absorb the wine and turn red.
Scoop or vac up the salt.
If any stain remains the peroxide will take care of it...apply....wait and them blot up w paper or cloth towel, rag etc

I've spilled 1/4-1/3 bottle of red on white upholstery...followed the salt & peroxide per above and no evidence of spill yhe next day.

Last edited:
Outside canvas will always develop a patina from bird poop. Especially lighter colours.

The only way to avoid is to replace the canvas with a hardtop.

We also have sand coloured Sunbrella and were bombed by purple poop (berries ?) the day after installation. We have tried every method mentioned in this thread and had it professionally cleaned. Stains are still prominent.

I like Mrs. TT's idea. Start with the right color and it's not a problem. Maybe a berry colored canvas next time?

Knowing my friends' propensity for spilling wine, I went with the burgundy. :socool: :eek: :D

I've had great luck with stain removal with a product called Folex. I've had wine stains on the carpet disappear in front of my own eyes...and I wasn't drinking!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom