Changing Oil & Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I used to always pre-fill the filter, but recently read something from Caterpillar saying it may not be a good idea.

Filters usually flow from the outside to inside. If you introduced some crud or contamination into the center of the new filter it would be pumped directly into the bearings. Typically, if you just ran the engine to heat up the oil, there would be enough lubrication in the bearings to handle the brief time it takes for the new filter to fill.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw this out there for your consideration.
That is the industry view. 100%.

Unfiltered oil is dirtier than filtered oil. It comes ~20/18/15. We used to add oil to equipment only via a filter cart in pretty much all industries I've worked in.

Filtered oil is generally 19/17/14.

But, my view is if you are filling your engine from a bottle or pail, without a filter, it is no different than filling the filter, n'est-ce pas?

The perfect is the enemy of the good.

If it’s a spin on fill it up, if you think it doesn’t make a difference try not filling your fuel filter and see what happens.

HaHa good one Swampu,
But the engine will run fine w/o filling the oil filter but die if not filling the fuel filter. I assume that as I’ve not tried it.

Back
Top Bottom