Need a New Shower Grate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Why does it need to be replaced? How about sanding it and refinishing it? Running it through a planer?

Why does it need to be replaced? How about sanding it and refinishing it? Running it through a planer?

Two of the slats are cracked. I screwed a cleat on the bottom to keep them from breaking all the way through (left side of photo). I've also repaired a few areas of rot where the grate meets the wide perimiter. I could keep doing repairs but I think it's time to replace it.

Thanks! Here's our grate! I sent an email asking for a quote.

Custom King Starboard Cockpit & Shower Grates

I received a quote back for one inch within 2 hours from Buck Woodcraft. I later asked for a quote for 3/4".

Hi Larry,

Thanks much for your inquiry.

Based on the photo you sent along, your 2 longest dimensions appear to be approximately 24” each. Given those measurements, and fabricating your grate out of 1” thick King Starboard Anti Skid, your cost will be $388.13 + shipping via UPS Ground to zip 32110 + Florida sales tax. Our online shipping calculator estimates the shipping cost at $57 and change, which seems high. If the actual shipping cost is less, we’ll charge less.

Production typically requires 10 – 15 business days from the time we receive the order.

I then asked about 3/4" material.

Hi Larry,

The shower grate would be $313.00 out of ¾” AS. Plus Shipping, shipping should be a little less because weight will be a little less.

Last edited:
I asked for a quote from Custom Teak Marine Woodwork. Six days to get the quote back.

Custom Teak Marine Woodwork by Custom Teak Marine, Inc

Hello Larry,

Your inquiry is most appreciated.

Solid Teak Grate – 1” T x 24” W x 24” L (per clients template):
· Materials of construction will be solid First European Quality (FEQ) Teak Lumber 1” Thick.
· Borders are minimum 2” W x 1” T Solid Teak and are assembled via mortise and tenon joinery and waterproof glue.
· The longitudinal and perpendicular cross slats are Solid Teak 1” square with notches opposite and opposing at 1” intervals (double crown) so that when assembled will form a 1” thick assembly.
· The assembled notched slats are joined to the borders via mortise and tenon joinery and waterproof glue.
· The assembled grate is finish sanded and cleaned.
· A coating of “Penofin – Exterior Hardwood Formula” penetrating oil is applied to the final assembly.
Pricing:
Solid Teak Grate per the Above ------------------------------------------$480.00
FL Sales Tax ---------------------------------------------------------------------$ 33.60
Shipping & Packaging via UPS Ground ----------------------------------$ 86.00
Total Project -------------------------------------------------------------------$599.60

I am really surprised the starboard quotes were that high. Was he making a grate, or simply a floor with holes? If the quote was for a grate, I would suggest getting a quote for just a piece of starboard cut to size with a bunch of camfered holes drilled in it.

US Plastics sells 1" starboard in a 48"x48" sheet for $205 so I am not really surprised the cost is that high. they sell the 3/4" sheet, same size, for $169. I do not know if this the the exact same material Buckwood uses but I would think the raw materials would be in the same price range. I am sure they get better prices since thy buy in larger quantity but then the labor involved in making that grate is not trivial either. I guess I see that pricing as about what I would expect since I could not make that nice a finished product for much less. Just some thoughts.

Marty....................

Here's what their web site says.

"Grates are precision-cut on our CNC machine, with 3/4" diameter holes evenly spaced throughout the surface area. Unless otherwise specified all exposed edges are give a 1/8" radius.

Unless you specify otherwise, we add drainage channels to the reverse side of your grate."

I'm still going to talk to my wood working friend but I'm thinking that this is not just apiece of starboard with some holes drilled in it. :)

Custom King Starboard Cockpit & Shower Grates

I'd consider CPES epoxy then a nice coat of thicker epoxy to preserve what you have before considering replacement. It might be able to strengthen and beautify the teak with minimal investment of time or treasure, alleviating the need for replacement.

I'd consider CPES epoxy then a nice coat of thicker epoxy to preserve what you have before considering replacement. It might be able to strengthen and beautify the teak with minimal investment of time or treasure, alleviating the need for replacement.

Thanks for the suggestion but I've done the CPES twice. It looks like the grate is flexing allowing moisture in at the joints of the grate. Since we use the shower daily, the grate never really has time to dry out. When I've renewed the finish, every couple of years, I let it dry completely but the finish, over time, cracks at the joints with use. You can see one of the repairs where moisture got under the finish (upper left). It worked well but I'm afraid I have some soft spots in areas I can't see plus I suspect the dark areas under the finish will fail with time. Maybe if I lost a few pounds the grate wouldn't flex? :lol:

Attachments

• IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 63
..... I'm thinking that this is not just apiece of starboard with some holes drilled in it. :)

That was basically my point, the price of a plain piece of Starboard was over 1/3 of the quoted price of the finished product from Buckwood so I did not see that price as out of line. They put more labor into it to produce the finished product. I know for a fact I could not produce what they are for that price. At this point I am thinking about getting one done for my shower.

I hope, if you get one from them, you post some photos (including close ups) so we can get a good look at it.

Marty...........................

...At this point I am thinking about getting one done for my shower.

I hope, if you get one from them, you post some photos (including close ups) so we can get a good look at it.

Marty...........................

Marty, you go first. :lol:

Yes, I'll post pictures. I think were going with Buck Woodcraft. We should be able to send them the template with in few weeks so by early June I should have it back.

After thinking about it, even if teak was close in price, I think Star Board is the way to go. Refinishing the old teak grate was a giant PIA.

Again, I ordered a rail mount for an outboard from them. Quality workmanship, fast shipping, and a very fair price. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to deal with them.

At this price I would take a look at a 3D printing service. You can find a bunch online and price are quite cheap. You create your model, upload the file and they give you a price right away. You can get your part created in many different material.

As an example sculpteo is one but there are many.

L.

We got the new shower grate today. :dance: We ended up going with 1", non-skid Star Board. I sent John Arbuckle at Buck Woodcraft a template I traced out on a couple of paper bags. He called with a couple of questions and offered a few suggestions. A super guy/company. They're in Marathon and with all the stuff going on from Irma he still fit us in quickly.

The grate is about 2' across on the lonest dimension. It's solid as a rock but just in case John included the cut offs from the square so we could support the center if needed. Cost, including shipping and tax was $353.12

Buck Woodcraft -- Specialized Products & Services For Boaters

Attachments

• IMG_0001[1].jpg
    IMG_0001[1].jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_0943a.jpg
    IMG_0943a.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0945a.jpg
    IMG_0945a.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 77
Very nice. I think I decided to keep my current on till it breaks again. At that point I will probably follow your route for a replacement. No need to rush into these things ya know.

Marty.....................

I like the look and the chamfered holes.

When I looked at your wood grate, it reminded me of a custom table we're having made to match a Nelson bench we own. I hired a real craftsman in PA near Lancaster (Amish Dutch country) to make it. Here's a pic of the table that costs us just a bit more than your grate. It's made out of maple. I bet he could work in teak at a reasonable price.

Attachments

• Table.jpg
    Table.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 71
What about the plastic decking lumber sold at home supply stores? You can get it in a sort of wood-like color, if white won't look right.

What about the plastic decking lumber sold at home supply stores? You can get it in a sort of wood-like color, if white won't look right.

I have the stuff called "Trex" on my sundeck at home. After 15 years, it looks OK, but not as good as teak allowed to age to silver. The plastic in Trex allows it to sag, so my deck boards are now wider and not as deep as when they were installed. All of the gap between the boards has disappeared, so now when it rains I get puddles, instead of the water running off between the boards.

I wouldn't use it to replace real wood for outdoor furniture.

We got the new shower grate today. :dance: We ended up going with 1", non-skid Star Board. I sent John Arbuckle at Buck Woodcraft a template I traced out on a couple of paper bags. He called with a couple of questions and offered a few suggestions. A super guy/company. They're in Marathon and with all the stuff going on from Irma he still fit us in quickly.

The grate is about 2' across on the lonest dimension. It's solid as a rock but just in case John included the cut offs from the square so we could support the center if needed. Cost, including shipping and tax was $353.12

Buck Woodcraft -- Specialized Products & Services For Boaters

A little behind the time but that looks great Larry

Somehow I missed this when posted. That’s a nice looking grate Larry. The way he countersunk those holes is a nice touch .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom