Camano - North Carolina

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NCheaven

Vessel Name
Boatwright
Vessel Make
Camano 31
New member, Camano 31 since July. Looking forward to connecting to other Camano owners. Specific questions:
Prop size - my 2005 has a 20x18, thought 20x20 was standard.
Generator output: Mine measures 13.65 v underway at 1600 RPM - seems low compared to car/truck with lesser draw.
Electronics: Thinking about updating. Can a radar unit be screened on two Multi function displays? My OEM Raymarine radar displays only on the fly bridge.

I welcome input/suggestions. (First diesel, fixed prop after 3 sailboats, coastal fishing and ski boat stern drives.....trawlers are a new and wonderful world for me!)

What rpm do you reach at wot? Buy a phototach from EBay or Amazon for less than $50 since helm tachs are often inaccurate. Reaching the rated rpm (3,800) at wot is the true test of having the right prop.

Generator- Assume you mean engine alternator. 13.65V is about right. Do you need to recharge batteries faster underway? There are solutions- a high output alternator and external regulator such as from Balmar.

New radar/chartplotters from Garmin or Raymarine can have two displays. But most Camanos even though they have a lower helm, don't have a permanent helm seat. Some have a fold up lower seat. So the lower helm is rarely used.

David

Last edited:
Thanks! TAMD41-D turns exactly 3800 at WOT with 20x18 and a fairly clean hull. Boat came w/o Camano manual, but with all component manuals. Problem is that my cabin helm 12 year old Raymarine C-80 goes dark when battery voltage drops to around 13.65, while shore charge brings battery charge up to 14.5v, at which C-80 works fine. So, I've figured that the problem is the C-80. Mechanic tested alternator and house and start batteries, pronounced all good. Your feedback adds to that conclusion - it's the old C-80. My car and truck run up to 14.7 after long period without running, ease over next 30 minutes. C-80 and old 4,000 watt radar are reasons I'm looking at new tech, including safer 40 watt pulse radar. Hate to replace all electronics, but in my planned ownership cycle - probably 12 years, now is actually a good time. I do have the lower fixed helm seat, love it, retreat from sun/glare, steadier in rough water, better access to my paper charts (overkill to back up i-pad and MFDs? Guilty.....) RI - so beautiful! So many interesting harbors and vessels up there!

Electronics: Thinking about updating. Can a radar unit be screened on two Multi function displays? My OEM Raymarine radar displays only on the fly bridge.

You should address that question to a Raymarine dealer. The bandwidth from radar communications is much higher than most other marine electronics and requires ethernet type bandwidth instead of much slower NMEA 0183 or 2000 communications. Raymarine may sell an ethernet hub that will permit that. Newer MFDs will have the same issue as older ones.

Since the early 2000's, I believe 2 multifunction displays can usually repeat screen data. It does take the correct networking.

Since the early 2000's, I believe 2 multifunction displays can usually repeat screen data. It does take the correct networking.
My 2001 or 2002 Ray mfds are networked (Ray proprietary). Either can show sonar, radar, ancient chartplotter, or any two of the above.

Back
Top Bottom