Caterpillar Diesel term

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Malahide

Vessel Name
Ursa Major
Vessel Make
Malahide
Hi,

Hoping for some clarification on engine terminology regarding Caterpillar engine specifications.

The term is "on engine" or "off engine".

It refers to the measurements for adjusting the injector pump. The difference between to 2 measurements, "on or off" engine is about 0.066".

One measurement indicates injector spacing of 2.009" on engine or 2.156" off engine.

Any help would be appreciated

thank you

Can't help except to ask this question on Boatdiesel.com.
The forum Cat expert is Dave.

Hopefully he will see and reply.

It may help though if you said which engine you are referring to specifically.

From Bob Lane's 2012 Passagemaker article on Malahide Yachts, the Ursa Major has this:
"375-horsepower Caterpillar D-353TA "
though he does go on to say that a former owner had to re-power her.

Last edited:
Caterpillar D-353

This is a Caterpillar d-353

We have just had her rebuilt and are experiencing what seems like overfueling. Fouling injectors...

Plunger depth and injector timing look pretty straightforward, I just need to understand which measurement to go for.

Thanks

Malahide
Ditto Dave on boatdiesel. Have you talked to Hatton in Seattle? They are pretty good for steering questions like this. BTW, the half century old designed 353s are absolute gems, good luck.

"Off engine" is a bench test or assembly setting. This is the starting adjustment to get you close. Once installed and "On Engine" you will fine tune adjustment based on performance to balance delivery after assembly to the engine.

I'm trying to search but not having much luck finding the service manual in our systems. I'm IM'ing a co-worker now who use to work in Pontiac.

PM me if you need more info.

Thanks,
Sidney

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom