Plexiglass in ST44 Engine Room

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Make
Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Can you check on your ST44 and see if this is two pieces or not? Trying to figure out if mine split or if it's supposed to be two pieces. I put duct tape on it for now as I assumed it split at some point...but now I'm not so sure.

Thanks,
Mike IMG_0369.jpg

Curious why some of those ground cables are stacked instead of having each cable to a separate lug? Nice system btw.

No idea about the plexi as I can’t see how its secued but its just a guard and not necessary really.

Curious why some of those ground cables are stacked instead of having each cable to a separate lug? Nice system btw.

No idea about the plexi as I can’t see how its secued but its just a guard and not necessary really.

Not sure why they did it this way. :confused:

It's cracked. Mine was a whole piece before it cracked, just like yours. A mechanic must have backed into it, or something like that.

If they put a 90 degree angle along. The top edge, it would be far stronger, and also protect the buss bars from falling tools, etc.

Someone who cared did that job. Even used tamper paint on the bolt heads. :)

If you do mess with the cover; I'd try for lexan with a lip across the top. So, a dropped wrench won't short out your 12V system!

Mine cracked after my fat ass "bumped" into it ----- Also duct taped!!!!

It broke. I can see the telltale tip.

The corner should not have been left as a sharp inside corner.

Both Plexi and Lexan are notch sensitive, Lexan less so, so sharp corners like that can be trouble and cause breakage.

A good radius such as from a hole saw and then some sanding to smooth the cut may have prevented the break.

Even just a small support backup block at the corner may have prevented the break.

When I first had my ST 44 inspected they recommended this glass as it is US electrical requirement but not in Europe .

IMG_0054.jpgIMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0066.jpgHere's the fix.

Hit 25.5 knots today (with a little help from the tides)

thanks looks simple enough.

Back
Top Bottom