View Single Post
Old 12-13-2017, 05:08 PM   #13
Rebel

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Arcturus
Vessel Model: Polaris 35
Hi Lou.
I have 400w of solar on the bimini of Arcturus with an MPPT controller, and I added a 400w "Ideal" wind generator sold by a local marine retailer. I now have enough power to run our boat on the hook and in fact have removed the genset once it broke down and find for the style of boating we do, anchor for 3/4 days cruise a couple of hours and anchor again, we are completely self sufficient in terms of power. I fitted mine on the aft deck using a galvanised pole bolted to the deck on a bracket so I can lower it easily for any maintenance or low bridges. Our experience is that it is quiet enough for it not to disturb any body around us in a normal anchorage. Our only issue is the harmonics on our own boat where sound travels into our aft cabin after about 15kn of wind from the pole. A sound engineer has suggested filling the pole with sand to deaden the vibration. We will see.
Our normal boating is Sydney Harbour and the Hawkesbury-Pittwater area on the East Coast of Australia. Our boat is moored on a swing mooring and we very seldom come to a marina with shore power so being self sufficient is important to us.
Hope that helps in your thinking of renewabels. See my profile picture for the set up.
John
Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote