View Single Post
Old 12-11-2017, 12:33 AM   #17
North Baltic sea
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaProf View Post
There are probably folks on here that know more about this than I, but I believe it to be an insurance-driven requirement. The pilots for a given port or waterway form their own association and experience requirements, and I can only guess at the insurance coverage they carry and premiums they pay.

When I sailed from Anchorage to Tacoma in the Northern Lights, we took on a pilot and apprentice at Port Angeles (recall, we already had an idle Cook Inlet pilot on board). The apprentice was a 50-something guy with an "all vessels, all oceans" ticket who was required to do a hundred supervised passages (I think it was at least that) before the Puget Sound Pilots would accept him.
Hi,

In Finland, the official pilot job started on September 19.9.1696 and before that more informally, much earlier. Here the legislation obliges the ships to use a pilot (Almost always)on arrival in Finland, precise locations defined when the ship can not proceed without pilotage. This is because of our cramped passageways in the archipelago and rocky waters.

Below the picture front page is an illustration of starting a pilot business in Finland.

NBs

North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote