Not a Great Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We are now considering the yard we will use to do the repairs. As we are located in Stuart FL we will be using a local yard. So far we have had the boat looked at by American Custom Yacht and Whiticar Boat Works. Both agree that there is no apparent structural damage. Yes, we considered Hinkley as well but a few "locals" advised against using them. We were also encouraged to consider Cracker Boy in Fort Pierce---I know nothing about them.

I would appreciate any input from those of you familiar with the yards in this area. Thanks to all.

I had good luck with the contractors who do lots of work at Cracker Boy. They showed up when they said they would, and finished on time. From what I understand CB only employs people who do bottom jobs and some other jobs, but most jobs are done by outside contractors? Kind of like a DIY yard but not really? I may be confused.

I had good luck with the contractors who do lots of work at Cracker Boy. They showed up when they said they would, and finished on time. From what I understand CB only employs people who do bottom jobs and some other jobs, but most jobs are done by outside contractors? Kind of like a DIY yard but not really? I may be confused.

Yes, that's what I've heard too.

howard,

I would get Steve from A&J Boatworks to take a look...we have had our boat in their twice and very happy with glasswork, etc.
A&J Boatworks

Cheers

Bryan

We are now considering the yard we will use to do the repairs. As we are located in Stuart FL we will be using a local yard. So far we have had the boat looked at by American Custom Yacht and Whiticar Boat Works. Both agree that there is no apparent structural damage. Yes, we considered Hinkley as well but a few "locals" advised against using them. We were also encouraged to consider Cracker Boy in Fort Pierce---I know nothing about them.

I would appreciate any input from those of you familiar with the yards in this area. Thanks to all.

I would stick with a yard that can be responsible for all the work, even if hidden damage is discovered. I highly recommend ACY, don't have the same knowledge of Whiticar but have heard good things about them. I would not go to Cracker Boy, simply because of the limitations of what they do themselves vs other contractors there. Hinckley has had experienced a good bit of turnover and I would be less comfortable with.

Howard, are you staying on the boat during the repair (all or part of it) and does that factor into the choice of boatyard?

Ted

I would stick with a yard that can be responsible for all the work, even if hidden damage is discovered. I highly recommend ACY, don't have the same knowledge of Whiticar but have heard good things about them. I would not go to Cracker Boy, simply because of the limitations of what they do themselves vs other contractors there. Hinckley has had experienced a good bit of turnover and I would be less comfortable with.

Good advice. Thanks B.

Ted, We will not be staying on the boat; I'm figuring 4 - 6 weeks on the hard. Waiting until April so we can enjoy the season on board. No cruising of course.

ACY is owned by one of my former banking customers. Can't speak highly enough for them. Very reputable folks indeed.:thumb:

I have to second A&J Boatworks. Steve and the guys were predictable, on time, and on price as well. I stayed aboard while on the hard, no issues. Really sad to hear about the accident though.

ACY is owned by one of my former banking customers. Can't speak highly enough for them. Very reputable folks indeed.:thumb:

I've never used ACY for any work but I have tremendous respect for the Chouest family. Doesn't necessarily guarantee good work but since they fish and had work done there before they bought it, just imagine pretty good standards.

I have also heard very good things about American, and once had some paint work done there.
For this project, I might be more inclined to go to Whitticar as it is smaller, and you are less likely to get lost in the shuffle. I have been using them for the last year, and they have completed everything on time, and under budget.
I also second the endorsement of Greg Burdick at Stuart Yacht.
You would be well served by all three, but I would recommend Whitticar for this project.
I would not go to Rybovich because this project is too small, although it is a good yard.
Best,
Maldwin

Last edited:
I have also heard very good things about American, and once had some paint work done there.
For this project, I might be more inclined to go to Whitticar as it is smaller, and you are less likely to get lost in the shuffle. I have been using them for the last year, and they have completed everything on time, and under budget.
I also second the endorsement of Greg Burdick at Stuart Yacht.
You would be well served by all three, but I would recommend Whitticar for this project.
I would not go to Rybovich because this project is too small, although it is a good yard.
Best,
Maldwin

We're Rybovich customers and didn't recommend them for the same reason. If you have an ongoing relationship small jobs still get attention, but as a first time customer it could be hard.

Back
Top Bottom