Bow thruster vs Stern thruster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Go out the pilot hose door, step to the dock.
I do use a breast line which can be interesting during high or low tide. Depending upon the tide, the fried eggs cooks on one side of the pan or the other.

I do use a breast line which can be interesting during high or low tide. Depending upon the tide, the fried eggs cooks on one side of the pan or the other.

So you use an anchor or two and have no side docks?

Attachments

• medmoor_1.jpg
    medmoor_1.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
No side dock in Med marinas so I still need the rosary beads and the new wife.

So you use an anchor or two and gave no side docks?

No, I am tied to the dock.
If I used a Med method, I'd have to remove the tender or crawl under the tender.

If there is not a dock, I will have to rethink everything. The pure Med Dock is very uncommon around here. There is always a dock.

Med mooring is pretty much the norm in this marina.

Post 90 is what confused me.....

Irish Rover doesnt have our luxurious finger docks or side to's much if the time.

Last edited:
Med mooring is pretty much the norm in this marina.

???

"Step to the dock" from somewhere near the pilothouse? A breast line?
Don't understand how either of those can work in a Med moor, unless maybe attaching the breast to a neighbor boat...

-Chris

My home marina has laid mooring lines and docking assistants usually in a rib but most of the smaller marinas don't and you have to deploy the anchor and go stern-to between other boats with no side dock. Cross winds [Meltemi] an issue too especially in the afternoon and the early evening. On the plus side no tides and usually little or no current and more than proficient at praying due to my Irish Catholic upbringing .

My home marina has laid mooring lines and docking assistants usually in a rib but most of the smaller marinas don't and you have to deploy the anchor and go stern-to between other boats with no side dock. Cross winds [Meltemi] an issue too especially in the afternoon and the early evening. On the plus side no tides and usually little or no current and more than proficient at praying due to my Irish Catholic upbringing .

IF every boat owner were honest, we would admit that docking brings on anxiety.
Once safely docked, all lines adjusted, water hose onboard, hooked to shore power, it is 'decompression' time, maybe even a nap.

Will you have the new wife helping the old wife?

Will you have the new wife helping the old wife?
I’m not sure yet what the pecking order will be. I guess you know we can have up to 4 wives here in Turkey so I might just get myself a full crew.

I’m not sure yet what the pecking order will be. I guess you know we can have up to 4 wives here in Turkey so I might just get myself a full crew.

Now that is funny. Of course, it will be an unpaid crew too.

With a BT and ST in each hull, twin throttles and someone on the anchor for Med mooring I will need all the hands I can muster.

Might as well add in the girlfriends.

Seriously guys. Please stop sending me PM’s and CV’s. I’m not looking for any additional crew and, if it makes any difference, I don’t really have 4 wives I only have 2. So lets get this thread back firmly on the subject of fore and aft thrusting and no more nonsense PLEASE.

Well, the discussion has been all over the place so I will pose my question here to hear your responses and reasoning.

Ships wheel: Destroyer type or the old fashion type and why ??

Last edited:
Availability of dock boys or fellow boater can assist with the spring line.

How close do you need to get the boat to get or toss a line from the boat around a piling or a cleat and back to the boat?

What is a Dock Boy???

What is a Dock Boy???

LOL. Funny answer.

Why are some people/dock boys trying to catch the line on their chest instead of a sideways outstretch arm? I guess they do not like their glasses and or have a desire to get hit in the face with a line.

Usually doesnt matter. Half the time i see a tossed docking line the coil fouls and it all falls into the drink.

IF every boat owner were honest, we would admit that docking brings on anxiety.
Once safely docked, all lines adjusted, water hose onboard, hooked to shore power, it is 'decompression' time, maybe even a nap.

I agree. Which is why as soon as the lines are secured, the Admiral and I immediately grab cold beers. We hand out beers to anyone who was involved with catching lines and assisting us. Then we pound down our beers, breath a sigh of relief, then commence to cleaning.

I agree. Which is why as soon as the lines are secured, the Admiral and I immediately grab cold beers. We hand out beers to anyone who was involved with catching lines and assisting us. Then we pound down our beers, breath a sigh of relief, then commence to cleaning.

+1
...... called the "All secure beer" on my boat.

Gotta get shore power on and the water hose first. Then you and the Admiral can empty the beer cooler.

I do not serve alcohol underway. I may get into a spot where I need help and I do not want the help drunk.

Drinking and drunk are 2 different issues I sorely wish people could separate....

I guess not into todays PC world.....

Guess the days of restraint and responsibility are lost on most.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom