Sherwood R10870G assembly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PMF1984

Guru
Vessel Name
Wanderer
Vessel Make
Pilgrim 40
I recently did a major pump rebuild of my raw water pump, Sherwood R10870G. This should be good for 4 years. After 125 hours of use the main bearing crapped out - as in disintegrated.

Either: 1-The bearing was defective, or 2-I reassembled the pump incorrectly.

Given my mechanical abilities, I can't rule out #2. The Service Bulletin says "Note how the seal and seat assembly are arranged so they can be properly reassembled." Perhaps I did not "note" the arrangement correctly.

Does anyone have a picture of how the internal seals fit on the shaft? I have a color schematic on the "R Series Technical Guide" but it is a little short on the critical details.

John

I recently did a major pump rebuild of my raw water pump, Sherwood R10870G. This should be good for 4 years. After 125 hours of use the main bearing crapped out - as in disintegrated.

Either: 1-The bearing was defective, or 2-I reassembled the pump incorrectly.

Given my mechanical abilities, I can't rule out #2. The Service Bulletin says "Note how the seal and seat assembly are arranged so they can be properly reassembled." Perhaps I did not "note" the arrangement correctly.

Does anyone have a picture of how the internal seals fit on the shaft? I have a color schematic on the "R Series Technical Guide" but it is a little short on the critical details.

John

Hi John,

I hope it this help your projekt side 35 is R series exploer pictures etc.

http://r.duckduckgo.com/l/?kh=-1&ud...arine-Distribution/en-us/MPG_3022_ENGLISH.pdf

NBs

Buy the parts from Depco Pump and they can usually help you if Sherwood can't. Or treat yourself to an early Christmas and have them rebuild it.

I enlarged this view of a technical drawing of your pump that appears to illustrate the relationship of the seal to the seat assembly. Good luck:thumb:

Attachments

• Sherwood.jpg
    Sherwood.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 39
Buy the parts from Depco Pump and they can usually help you if Sherwood can't. Or treat yourself to an early Christmas and have them rebuild it.

Thanks for the tip about Depco Pumps. Their pump catalogs are quite the resource. For parts I'm quite wedded to Niemiec Marine in New Bedford. There are close by and very reasonably priced.

I enlarged this view of a technical drawing of your pump that appears to illustrate the relationship of the seal to the seat assembly. Good luck:thumb:

Thanks Larry,

I have that schematic. The problem is that there is one section that has about four pieces, and it's unclear how they fit together.

Thanks for the tip about Depco Pumps. Their pump catalogs are quite the resource. For parts I'm quite wedded to Niemiec Marine in New Bedford. There are close by and very reasonably priced.

Niemiec :thumb::thumb:

So two days ago I contacted Sherwood Pumps.

Yesterday they opined that it might not be a bearing failure by itself. A seal failure can lead to a bearing failure, which can lead to housing wear. Pump repairs where the housing is worn are problematic. They said that 1988 was a long time ago for a pump that pumps raw sea water.

(This pump had been yanked off by the PO and saved but not rebuilt....hmm.)

Today I got the schematics I needed.

Excellent service over a weekend. These guys know about the need for quick answers when your engine is out.

Attachments

• Seal.jpg
    Seal.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 104
Thanks Dave,

Yes, the graphite bushing is in the major repair kit for these. Actually the major repair kit has every thing but the housing and shaft.

Just want to correct myself on one thing. I contacted Sherwood yesterday morning, and got the answer this afternoon at 2:30. So it was not two days, but 29 hour turn-around on a weekend!:thumb:

John

Back
Top Bottom