Bow thruster vs Stern thruster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Where I boat 90% of the time there is no one to help.
I boat alone at times and with a wind trying to blow me off the dock when docking its near impossible without thusters .
Still cant see why all the negativity ???????? My wife has limited boating experience at the helm and she can dock with thrusters if require

No negativity, It was positivity about the benefits of a spring line. It does some things better than thrusters can. Specifically, holding the bow to the dock for an extended period of time, as mentioned.

In our part of the world the dock boys are seasonal and I wouldn't want to rely on them anyway.

But cleats are almost nonexistent here; bullrails are the norm and are rather difficult to lasso.

I will admit, I didn't know what 'bull rails' were. The internet cleared that up.

Based upon the bull rails in the pics, I would not take much of a strain on the bull rails. The appear weak and would pop off the dock, flying to the boat and/or the onboard line handler. I dont have a solution in this case.

I will admit, I didn't know what 'bull rails' were. The internet cleared that up.

Based upon the bull rails in the pics, I would not take much of a strain on the bull rails. The appear weak and would pop off the dock, flying to the boat and/or the onboard line handler.case.

Your thrusters may be handy :facepalm:

Based upon the bull rails in the pics, I would not take much of a strain on the bull rails. The appear weak and would pop off the dock, flying to the boat and/or the onboard line handler. I dont have a solution in this case.

No they are very robust. Definitely not easy to lasso without a device of some kind. When I boated out west, we used to use a double "L" (or bent "Y"?) piece of rebar with an eye welded on, I've seen people use a small Danforth type anchor that worked pretty slick. Practice practice practice though.

While Ann would typically welcome help from the dock, I resist using strangers whose skills are unknown if at all possible. Our Hatteras MY had about 6 feet of freeboard at midship, but a little practice got both of us able to rodeo a spring onto floating dock cleat or to pilings pretty easily, and we are about as uncoordinated and un-agile as you can get.
I don't discount that a single engine makes it a bit harder and I don't think I'd have one without a bow thruster, though I learned on one without.

While Ann would typically welcome help from the dock, I resist using strangers whose skills are unknown if at all possible.

I feel the same. I have no idea if the good Samaritan on the dock is a boater, a guest, or drunk. I can't trust they can tell a bow tie from a bowline.

We toss a bowline end to the dock. A large one if there are pilings and simply ask the someone at the dock to toss the loop over a piling or cleat. We control the lines from the boat. This also helps if we need to warp onto the dock using the piling.

I'm cautious about warping off a cleat. I've never warped off a bull rail. We typically only see bull rails around dinghy docks and small boat docks.

When departing. I'll tie a looped line to a cleat, run it around the piling or cleat and back to the boat cleat again. Now we can untie one end and hand-over-hand the line from the piling or cleat back to the boat. This helps if I need to warp off of the dock. This also allows us to control the lines. WE just need to be careful not to get too much of the bitter end into the water and caught up in the bow thruster or prop.

Conrad,
They sell a hook that looks a bit like part of a mushroom anchor for snaging bull rails. Or one could probably use a little 3lb Claw anchor.

Here’s a good use of an aft cockpit helm. Far far better than being on a FB. Swing the stern over to the float, step off casually, PU the previously placed mooring line (snaked along the railing) that is your midship line. Take a few steps fwd to your midship station and haul the line in and tie off. Now you’re tied to the float and you can take your time making fast all the other lines and adjusting. Once you’ve got a line amidships fast no stress or challange.

However if you’ve got so much windage and can’t hold the line forget the above. Don’t see your boat as one w a windage problem though.

I hate cleats as they are almost always in the wrong place or too small. They are easier to tie off though. Wish all floats had bull rails.

Last edited:
While Ann would typically welcome help from the dock, I resist using strangers whose skills are unknown if at all possible. .

Yup, that is why I said, listen to and follow the directions of the captain or in this case your designated line handler, your wife.

Hmmm, tossing a small anchor to the bull rail or even across the dock so you get a better hold.

Last edited:
In my installation I have more power from the bow thruster. On a SD type boat the rear thruster can be quiet near the surface. It can suck some air when running reducing thrust. I am single screw, i use the thruster more often as a brake to slow boat just before touching the dock.

I have been told diverters that aim the flow downwards can be of help. Any one tried these additions?

Attachments

• 20170826_074749847_iOS.jpg
    20170826_074749847_iOS.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 64
In my installation I have more power from the bow thruster. On a SD type boat the rear thruster can be quiet near the surface. It can suck some air when running reducing thrust. I am single screw, i use the thruster more often as a brake to slow boat just before touching the dock.

I have been told diverters that aim the flow downwards can be of help. Any one tried these additions?

I put them on the one I installed. I put them on from the get-go, so I don't have anything to compare them to.

I had a VERY shallow install due to the SD hull. It worked really well for us, though - a 3.5 ft keel can really be fun trying to dock in a cross-current (where we docked regularly). No amount of rudder/screw finesse will help with that.

I really liked the new "boat" control panel vs. the two joysticks - I added it to combine with the bow thruster when I added the stern.

Attachments

• IMG_20160326_091903785 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_20160326_091903785 (Medium).jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20160326_091946615 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_20160326_091946615 (Medium).jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20160319_142644688 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_20160319_142644688 (Medium).jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 58
On a single screw inboard, if you can only have one, a bow thruster is generally more useful. With practice and perhaps a bit of research or instruction, you can move the stern sideways with the rudder and propeller. You can only move the bow sideways with a thruster.

On a single screw inboard, if you can only have one, a bow thruster is generally more useful. With practice and perhaps a bit of research or instruction, you can move the stern sideways with the rudder and propeller. You can only move the bow sideways with a thruster.

or a springline in some cases.

Dont get me wrong, you can do things with thrusters not possible without, but you can dock in nearly evry conceivable situation with the aid of springs.

Boathealer I like your install.

very informative posts. But, one thing. I've had to dodge coral heads that need immediate attention and no spring lines will deal with those. Obviously, picking my way thru a coral minefield is not the best place to put a single eng. boat, but this risk is present.

the transit from spanish wells to N eluthra comes to mind. Many, many examples.

Last edited:
very informative posts. But, one thing. I've had to dodge coral heads that need immediate attention and no spring lines will deal with those. Obviously, picking my way thru a coral minefield is not the best place to put a single eng. boat, but this risk is present.

as.I posted.... thrusters allow you to do things impossible or nearly so without.

I would.back.my friends 55 Viking Motoryacht out of a tight marina with 2 - 90 degree turns....and often a long straight away with bad cross winds.

Using offside prop and its propwalk, combined with thw bowthruster,.I could.keep it dead.center the whole.way versus wiggling out.woth both engines.

Cold be.done with engines only, but not.nearly as impressive... :)

Happened at least once when my turn in tight quarters would result in collision due to miscalculation, but was avoided using the bow thruster to tighten the turn. ... Wise to have the thruster available for instant use in tight situations.

Apart from helping turn the boat around using both bow and stern thrust, the only other use of the stern thruster was to push the stern into the dock to help with lines after the bow line was attached. The bow thruster did most of the work. The stern thruster was of marginal value. Logically, it is much harder to move the stern sideways rather than turn the bow, and to do so effectively takes a lot more thrust. I think many stern thrusters are simply under-powered to help much. The imaginary concept of moving the vessel sideways using bow and stern thrust is simply that - imaginary - unless you own the Queen Mary!!

Well, Delfin isn't exactly the Queen Mary and her bow and stern thrusters move her sideways just fine. Perhaps they are just sized right for the vessel?

To the O.P.s question, it is interesting to hear from one member with stern only who thought it great, and those with both who think the stern redundant. I find myself using both all the time, and they come in especially handy when I want to turn the vessel in her own length with the usual forward/reverse fiddling you can use without stabilizers.

But if I had to choose one over the other, I guess I would have to opt for the bow. You can use prop wash and rotation of the wheel to kick the stern around, but there isn't as much you can do easily for the bow.

Hi,

I have a bow / Stern truster and both of them great help sometimes when the wind blows hard and narrow harbor. Nowadays I rarely get tricked by doking vs my old planing boat Twins + bowtrusters, also due to the NT long keel. If I did not have a bow / Stern truster I could get along, but at times very stressful. If you had to choose which one to give up, then Stern truster less help.

NBs

I wouldn't want to own a single inboard with NO thruster at all. However, you can learn to be very effective with the 'bump and fill' technique.

Cue, entry from stage right, one who has in fact no thruster - many of us don't - and we manage fine... :D

Admittedly for your first few trips out you wish you had, but after that... :whistling:

Cue, entry from stage right, one who has in fact no thruster - many of us don't - and we manage fine... :D

Admittedly for your first few trips out you wish you had, but after that... :whistling:

It's been two years since my thruster worked.
I joined Don't Tell Thrusters Anonymous.

No longer am I seduced by dock hands who yell, "Of course you can back in there"

And I can do a 360° in a 50' diameter (CCW of course)

I've never had a twin engine boat before. I'm moving from a 26' x 9' beam with a BT to 34' x 14.5' beam cat. It's all stern-to mooring in this part of the world and usually very limited space with boats either side. I think I'm going to need a BT and ST in each hull, 4 arms, a rosary beads and a new wife with better boat handling skills than me.

I've never had a twin engine boat before. I'm moving from a 26' x 9' beam with a BT to 34' x 14.5' beam cat. It's all stern-to mooring in this part of the world and usually very limited space with boats either side. I think I'm going to need a BT and ST in each hull, 4 arms, a rosary beads and a new wife with better boat handling skills than me.

Personally, I still like bow in. I got real tired of folks looking into my saloon. Plus, they think I am friendly.

Personally, I still like bow in. I got real tired of folks looking into my saloon. Plus, they think I am friendly.
Is it not a PITA boarding and disembarking from the bow over rails etc?

Is it not a PITA boarding and disembarking from the bow over rails etc?

On my AT, the swim platform is populated with the tender.
The railing stops at the pilot house doors. It is a flush deck so hanging on to the boat, it is either lowering or stepping up.
Per cockpit, shrug. Just depends on what is convient for me and my guests.

Given time, you can train your guests. LOL

On my AT, the swim platform is populated with the tender.
The railing stops at the pilot house doors. It is a flush deck so hanging on to the boat, it is either lowering or stepping up.
Per cockpit, shrug. Just depends on what is convient for me and my guests.

Given time, you can train your guests. LOL
Are you boarding/disembarking midships onto a side jetty for at the bow? No side jetties where I am so would have to use one of the neighbor's boats [which wouldn't be appreciated I'd imagine and anyway both could be out at the same time] or the bow which is not really feasible with the height and I'd have to have it hard up against a concrete dock.

Probably never Med moors as it is very rare in the states.

Back
Top Bottom