Bow thruster vs Stern thruster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A2 contributors have hydraulic thrusters. Do you mean water jet type, or hydraulic driven? I`d like to know more, the install would be a lot simpler. Maybe needs a new thread.

I have a Dickson thruster. You can Google them for info.
Basically I have a hydraulic pump run off the Lehman via a bolt on double pulley on the harmonic balancer. Pump has a magnetic clutch like an automotive AC compressor. The prop is on a hydraulic motor bolted to the stern via an "L" bracket just above the bottom. The toggle switch panel at each helm can direct the flow of the motor to go left or right.
It was on the boat when I bought it so I cannot attest to installation difficulty. What's nice is it can stay engaged for a very long time where an electric thruster would wear down the battery.

I have a Dickson thruster. You can Google them for info.
What's nice is it can stay engaged for a very long time where an electric thruster would wear down the battery.

Yup, found out the hard way. The bow thruster is on the start battery. Drop the voltage too much and the Cummins shuts down. Upon investigation, the start battery needed to be replaced. I added a 3rd house battery and I am investigating moving the bow thruster from the start battery to the house battery. Gotta keep the main engine running at all cost.

Yup, found out the hard way. The bow thruster is on the start battery. Drop the voltage too much and the Cummins shuts down. Upon investigation, the start battery needed to be replaced. I added a 3rd house battery and I am investigating moving the bow thruster from the start battery to the house battery. Gotta keep the main engine running at all cost.

I have a separate bank just for my thrusters and windlass. I seriously considered combining it with my new house bank, but decided against it since the thruster bank was still in good shape and I didn't want to mix old vs new, and two different makes of batteries.

Still, I think putting the thrusters on the house bank makes more sense than the start battery.

This is an interesting subject and I'm keen to hear the opinions of more experienced members. It's a bit off putting [especially for new posters] to be told go search the forum when they start a new thread. If you've heard it all before then skip the thread and let others get the benefit of the experience of those who are happy to share.

Thanks..My thoughts exactly.

Look at it this way...

Over the years, many topics have been discussed and some excellent advice has been dispersed. Much of that advice has come from the more experienced members whose advice you seek. There is no way all those who replied before can do it all again.

Not all prior discussions will cover your questions today, so many feel it's better to resurrect a prior thread on a topic to retain that knowledge base and to expand it with today's posts.

Sometimes linking those older threads in the new, related thread keeps the information flowing to those who need it....like this...

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s31/bow-thruster-vs-stern-thruster-7968.html

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s6/stern-vs-bow-thrusters-10086.html

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s32/bow-thruster-grand-banks-32-a-29697.html

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/bow-stern-thrusters-31097.html

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s6/stern-thruster-6204.html

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s31/bow-stern-thrusters-19804.html

Cheers!

I installed a stern thruster on my twin engine last winter. Love it. I would have to loose my main water tank to install a bow thruster. I put the stern thruster in becuse my wife handles the bow and I run the boat from the flybridge. I can bring the boat to the dock no problem. The problem is that by the time I get down from the bridge to handle the stern line, the boat has blown off the dock. Now with the stern thruster, I have a wireless remote control so I can bring the stern back up to the dock without any problems. Do I have to have a stern thruster, no but it makes it easier and I wanted it. As we get older, thrusters make life easier and if it can extend our boating life further into old age, so be it.

... I put the stern thruster in becuse my wife handles the bow and I run the boat from the flybridge. I can bring the boat to the dock no problem. The problem is that by the time I get down from the bridge to handle the stern line, the boat has blown off the dock. Now with the stern thruster, I have a wireless remote control so I can bring the stern back up to the dock without any problems. Do I have to have a stern thruster, no but it makes it easier and I wanted it. As we get older, thrusters make life easier and if it can extend our boating life further into old age, so be it.

That's one solution for not having/using immediate deck access from the helm position.

I can bring the boat to the dock no problem. The problem is that by the time I get down from the bridge to handle the stern line, the boat has blown off the dock.

Is there some reason a spring line isn't in place at that point? We always make a point of getting that on first, then the boat can be held onto the dock via idle power and rudder. Even super- klutzy me could single hand our 56' Hatteras using that technique.

Gaston,
Mark’s got plenty of hp and in every picture I’ve seen of his boat underway it looks like he’s got too much power.

More power to Mark though as he brings us back to earth frequently.

I'm in the camp of a bow thruster FIRST.

My current boat has both, and previous boats have had only bow.

The bow of equal power to t stern thruster is more effective, because it's pushing less weight and less draft. If you can put the bow somewhere you can back into anywhere, but often not straight (parallel) to the dock.

And, yes, with both, you can walk the boat perfectly sideways... but only with very little wind. Did that about two hours ago and worked find... single handed.

Now, I've got friends with a single stern thruster with a single engine and they work fine, too, but I could argue to have a powerful one.

It's kinda like the twin vs single debate... will never end.

Sails are totally unnecessary and a distraction on a trawler and another thing to worry about but you may need them if your down on HP :whistling:

It was just a habit from my sailboating days. Who says total rationality is the source of happiness? ... But then, when does a bit of stability and some power assist become irrational?

Last edited:
Unnecessary systems cost and are one thing more to go wrong.

Sails are totally unnecessary and a distraction on a trawler and another thing to worry about but you may need them if your down on HP :whistling:

Gaston,
Mark’s got plenty of hp and in every picture I’ve seen of his boat underway it looks like he’s got too much power.

More power to Mark though as he brings us back to earth frequently.

It was just a habit from my sailboating days. Who says total rationality is the source of happiness? ... But then, when does a bit of stability and some power assist become irrational?
Sometimes I think that Eric and Mark have had their sense of humour surgically removed.

First trawler had a Dickson stern thruster that worked well. It was light compared to the current which has an electric bow thruster, 5 hp and too small, and a Dickson stern thruster which is also under powered. I rarely use either because of that. The stern thruster runs off the generator which I would have to start if I wanted to use it. Last winter I installed a bow stem that goes almost to the water line. The Nordic bow is almost vertical, so I use the fishing boat trick of planting the bow on the dock at head of the slip, leave it in gear with the wheel turned to put stern against the finger when wind and tide pose a major problem.

Tom

Is there some reason a spring line isn't in place at that point? We always make a point of getting that on first, then the boat can be held onto the dock via idle power and rudder. Even super- klutzy me could single hand our 56' Hatteras using that technique.

Exactly!

A spring line to pull the bow to the dock and hold it there is certainly cheaper than a thruster. It never trips out regardless of how long it is used, and the maintenance is fairly minimal.

Exactly!

A spring line to pull the bow to the dock and hold it there is certainly cheaper than a thruster. It never trips out regardless of how long it is used, and the maintenance is fairly minimal.

Since when is cheaper the solution to anything related to boating or anything else for that matter ?
I can afford both thrusters and would never consider a boat with out them .

Exactly!

BUT, the spring line ONLY works when attached to the dock, and that's where the thrusters come in.... to get close enough to get a spring line on.

BUT, the spring line ONLY works when attached to the dock, and that's where the thrusters come in.... to get close enough to get a spring line on.

I was responding to a post that said getting the boat to the dock was not a problem, but getting a stern line on was. But I have to say to the above, what is it about the dock that has rendered the rudder and engine useless?

I was responding to a post that said getting the boat to the dock was not a problem, but getting a stern line on was. But I have to say to the above, what is it about the dock that has rendered the rudder and engine useless?

George,

Nothing, but the point was that the first goal is to get the boat close enough to get a spring line on, and that's where the thrusters can help. And, sure, we agree that after one gets a line on use power, tiller, thrusters to finish putting the boat where you want.

For "me" thrusters are extremely important. Ya can't have too many, and I'm not macho enough to dock without them. Don't always use them, but sure do when needed.

Availability of dock boys or fellow boater can assist with the spring line.

How close do you need to get the boat to get or toss a line from the boat around a piling or a cleat and back to the boat?

Last edited:

How close do you need to get the boat to get or toss a line from the boat around a piling or a cleat and back to the boat?

Not many dock boys waiting for $100 tips or fellow boaters around between 6pm and 9 am .Come to think of it non around a lonely dock 50km up the river.
Maybe I should send a dock boy up the river and wait for me to get there to help with the dock lines ?
Is that how its done over there .This is just another fly bridge argument those without winge the loudest with envy :D

Not many dock boys waiting for $100 tips or fellow boaters around between 6pm and 9 am .Come to think of it non around a lonely dock 50km up the river.
Maybe I should send a dock boy up the river and wait for me to get there to help with the dock lines ?
Is that how its done over there .This is just another fly bridge argument those without winge the loudest with envy :D

$100 tip just to help tie up a boat?? I wonder if a near 75 year old man can be a dock boy? LOL

Remember, if you help tie up a boat, follow the captain's directions to the letter.

$100 tip just to help tie up a boat?? I wonder if a near 75 year old man can be a dock boy? LOL

Remember, if you help tie up a boat, follow the captain's directions to the letter.

Where I boat 90% of the time there is no one to help.
I boat alone at times and with a wind trying to blow me off the dock when docking its near impossible without thusters .
Still cant see why all the negativity ???????? My wife has limited boating experience at the helm and she can dock with thrusters if require

Where I boat 90% of the time there is no one to help.
I boat alone at times and with a wind trying to blow me off the dock when docking its near impossible without thusters .
Still cant see why all the negativity ???????? My wife has limited boating experience at the helm and she can dock with thrusters if require

I'm not being negative, I have a bow and stern thrusters.
I was suggesting work arounds and other alternatives.

In our part of the world the dock boys are seasonal and I wouldn't want to rely on them anyway.

But cleats are almost nonexistent here; bullrails are the norm and are rather difficult to lasso.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom