Silk purse to a sows ear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boomerang

Guru
Vessel Name
Wandering Star
Vessel Make
PSN40
I'm sorry, to each their own, but this has got to be the worst paint job ever. A black hull isn't bad but a black hull, black superstructure & a black flybridge??? YUCK! I thought the thing had been in a fire or something. Jack Hargrave must be shaking his head.

1977 Hatteras One of a kind Motor Yacht Power Boat For Sale

Attachments

• 6297822_20170719170807595_1_XLARGE.jpg
    6297822_20170719170807595_1_XLARGE.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 247
“There are only two colors to paint a boat: white or black. And only a fool would paint a boat black.”
Nathanael Greene Herreshoff - American Naval Architect

Greys and blacks are so difficult to see during dawn and dusk hours. A dealer on the lake we were on wouldn't sell grey or silver, not even silver metalflake.

Greys and blacks are so difficult to see during dawn and dusk hours. A dealer on the lake we were on wouldn't sell grey or silver, not even silver metalflake.

Your boat looks black guess the dealer on the lake didn't sell it to you :D

Your boat looks black guess the dealer on the lake didn't sell it to you :D

No, it's brown, but guess almost as bad. Embarrassed to say we also have a silver boat and that aspect of it has always bothered me. It's very reflective but not a good dusk color.

400k for a 40 year old boat? Interior looks like it was furnished from a Crate & Barrel store. Might be a nice boat in person... I agree with Nathanael though.

HEHEHHEHEH. I like it :rofl:

I love it. What a fit-out. Colour wise it would get a bit hot, but has air. The colour would stand out well in daylight, and at night who cares, you have lights.
:D

At least it is not flat black.

It only takes ONE guy.......to think that looks "cool". As long as you can find him, mission accomplished.

No one can say, "that's just another '70's Hatteras".......

I knew a guy in Texas about 25 years ago that painted a 53' Hatteras Sportfish black...top and bottom too.

A short time later he got drunk and fell off it and drowned. True story.

As my buddy in the car business always said “there’s an ass for every seat”

All it needs now is some radar absorbant panels. The life ring is wrong color now.

I don't mind the color nearly as much as I do the tchotchkes.

I can see where they put a lot of time and money into it, but NOT my style.

I don't mind the color nearly as much as I do the tchotchkes.
Learned a new word!

Ad copy at bottom says it was owned by an interior designer.

I think it's kind of cool. There are enough white boats in our marinas.

Last edited:
Dock queen. I'll wait for the auction.

It cost a small fortune to paint it black and it will cost another fortune to to cover up that black.

To each their own. If that's what the owner likes, then more power to them. I don't expect anyone else to like my tastes. I like people who personalize to fit their desires.

I am guessing the decks are black too.
Where are my shoes, where are my shoes.

Know someone with a 68' boat that was white. He had it painted black. Then he needed to upgrade all 5 air conditioners as they could not keep up with the added heat load. Florida boat no less.

Not my taste, but I respect the refit work. A very swanky city boat.

I'll also say every since I first saw a Hinkley when sailing in Maine I've had a thing for white topsides with dark navy hulls, red bottom paint and a white boot stripe.

It just looks "proper" to my Yankee sensibilities

Last edited:

I'll also say every since I first saw a Hinkley when sailing in Maine I've had a thing for white topsides with dark navy hulls, red bottom paint and a white boot stripe.

It just looks "proper" to my Yankee sensibilities

I almost had the perfect boat. Alas, the hull is British Racing Green, red bottom and white top with a white boot top. Hey, it's a fast trawler so why not British Racing Green. LOL

I really like the interior design work, I might have chosen diffrent colors and patterns but I liked the concept.

I think that boat needs a psychedelic wrap instead of a paint job

Did someone just pour dirt on the floors??? [emoji33]

It would be interesting to see how long that black Hatteras could cruise along the FL coast before DEA stopped & searched it.

Back
Top Bottom