TSB report out on fatal sinking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

diver dave

Guru
Vessel Name
Coquina
Vessel Make
Lagoon 380
Sounds like another case of gummint guys in offices telling the productive class how to do their trade. Out in an open 22' trying to beat an artificial & arbitrary deadline, trying to make a living. Sad.

Regardless of deadlines and the urgency of a trip, we need to set standards and minimums that we operate within.

I feel very sorry for such a loss, but the captain should have had the foresight to just say NO. We do it all the time to maintain safe operations.

I've cancelled a few flights the some of would have produced revenue of several hundred thousand dollars, but the alternative if we didn't make it would have been much worse.

"I think we can make it" without a solid way out is fool hearty.

Nonetheless, my heart goes out to this family.... heartbreaking.

Sounds like another case of gummint guys in offices telling the productive class how to do their trade. Out in an open 22' trying to beat an artificial & arbitrary deadline, trying to make a living. Sad.

There is a whole other side to that argument ....commercial fishermen often are their own worst enemy and my good friends that are commercial fishetmen tell me that all the time.

No disagreement on the poor judgement involved. No disagreement that the skipper should have had better and more thorough knowledge of the regs that govern his livelihood.

Even the TSB recognizes the adverse regulatory incentives that contributed to, not caused, the incident.

Just really sad all around.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom