A Good Day Aboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update

Great post and it has been over two years. Is there an update on John?
wi

A quick update: last November we signed a contract to build our next trawler with Scott Helker at Waterline Boats in Seattle. Scott and his wife Lisa are the owners of the Helmsman line of semi-displacement trawlers. Our journey and decision process can be found here on the Trawler Forum under Custom Builds / Major Retro-fits, Contract Signed New Build Underway.

Its been an interesting journey already partially redesigning the boat and the anticipation continues to build as the boat is less than two months from arriving.

John T.

A Good Day

It's been awhile since I posted anything on this thread and to be honest feel a little guilty posting in light of the recent and current weather issues on the central and east coasts. Yesterday was just one of those crazy days running between work and the new townhome we just purchased in downtown SD. After dinner and a couple of margaritas I told Mary I was going for a boat ride and catch the sunset. I uncovered the dingy and started up the engine (no rowing today) before casting off the lines and setting up some music on my phone and little JBL speaker. Before long I was heading out of the marina around the restaurants to the bay listening to some great tunes. As I stretched out and watched the sun set behind the coastal marine layer I thought to myself "Life is good" and slowly headed home wishing we had an extra 30 minutes of day light. Simple times like these are just another part of boating we enjoy.

Enjoy the balance of summer as the days are beginning to get shorter very quickly.

JT

I'll update too. My last post was 3 weeks before my retirement. In the 15 months since then, I spent three months doing the Down East Loop, completely rebuilt my kitchen from the ground up, finishing up the dining room now, did two deliveries for about 2,500 nautical miles and got a lot of small jobs done around the yard and boat.

Just completed a review of my budget for the past 12 months, and I'm about where I expected, maybe a little ahead.

No regrets yet. My favorite saying is still:
Nobody ever lay on their death bed saying "I wish I'd spent more time at the office."

What a great thread. I am inspired. Our plans are a second retirement for me in the coming year. Working on our land-base, a small gulf cottage in Apalachicola, Fl. Then a small trawler for cruising the Gulf, the Keys and the East coast. To infinity and beyond......

I'll update too. My last post was 3 weeks before my retirement. In the 15 months since then, I spent three months doing the Down East Loop, completely rebuilt my kitchen from the ground up, finishing up the dining room now, did two deliveries for about 2,500 nautical miles and got a lot of small jobs done around the yard and boat.

Just completed a review of my budget for the past 12 months, and I'm about where I expected, maybe a little ahead.

No regrets yet. My favorite saying is still:
Nobody ever lay on their death bed saying "I wish I'd spent more time at the office."

Great post!

3325i 1511908507974.jpg

What a great thread. I am inspired. Our plans are a second retirement for me in the coming year. Working on our land-base, a small gulf cottage in Apalachicola, Fl. Then a small trawler for cruising the Gulf, the Keys and the East coast. To infinity and beyond......

Wifey B: Oh....I should resist, but I can't....I love that place. :rofl:

Too funny WifeyB. We love the place and the song. If you guys are passing through let us know. We are constantly boat stalking on the docks. For that matter all trawler forum members are welcome.

I haven't posted to this thread for a while and thought this was the right time. As I mentioned earlier on my Helmsman thread buying the boat was part of a long range plan that includes retirement. While retirement is still on the horizon a few more years last month we made another major step in that direction. We sold our large home which we built 17 years ago and purchased a small townhome in downtown San Diego only eight minutes from the boat. This sure beats the 90 mile drive we were use to. Step by step!

That's gotta be an exciting step to take, John. You must be in 7th heaven being so close to the marina.

Thanks to everyone who responded to our post. Hopefully it will encourage those who have not yet tested the waters to do so soon before time runs out.

John T
N3522
La Tempestad

Thank you for sharing the insight sir best of luck and smooth sailing for you

New and confused

:banghead: Hi all, i'm new to this form and not sure i'm posting in the right place but this is a start. I know i'm on a reply to a post spot.
I'm not new to boating but new to MY or Trawlers. Which ever you want to call them.
I come from a sailing background. I owned a 44 ft Ketch for a few years and cruised for 5 years. Sold it a few years ago and now looking at power boats. A lot to learn.
Right now i'm just trying to figure out how to do a post in the general discussion form. Even my wife, (who is better figuring this stuff out) cannot get it done. Is there a simple spot to click on to make a post? Sorry, just a newbie at this form stuff.

@ Dan 72
If your account is set up, you can click on the 'Trawler Forum' icon at the top left of this page.

That'll take you to the forum listing.

Then click on the very first option called 'Welcome Mat' .

Find the 'New Thread' button and you can create your own intro post .

Welcome Dan! You'll soon get the hang of it... Good luck in finding correct motor cruiser. - Art

Dave, seriously you were right in front of my house! Wish I had known. Glad you got out. So many boats out today.

That was taken shortly after clearing Rich Passage. So do you live on the Peninsula or on Bainbridge. Nice house for sale right on that point by the channel marker. I kept thinking that it was a wonderful location for watching the boats go by.

Dave - Great Fun!

PS: How're new diesels treating ya?

Engine is doing great!

That was taken shortly after clearing Rich Passage. So do you live on the Peninsula or on Bainbridge. Nice house for sale right on that point by the channel marker. I kept thinking that it was a wonderful location for watching the boats go by.

South end of Bainbridge, looking right at Blake, just like your shot. I think you were just a bit east of my position. I take lots of pictures of boats, and try to track down the owners and send them pictures. Did that with that woody shot I posted in "Interesting Boats." He was thrilled.

Let me know next time you are coming my way!

Last edited by a moderator:
Any day when nothing breaks is a good day.

...and even some days when things break are still great days. I spent 3 days aboard recently and had 6 failures; shift cable, shower drain, fuel cutoff solenoid failed, broken solenoid spring, starter fuse blown and the head diverter handle broke. It took a couple of weeks to fix all those items but we're back to normal now.

It was still a great fishing trip! :D

South end of Bainbridge, looking right at Blake, just like your shot. I think you were just a bit east of my position. I take lots of pictures of boats, and try to track down the owners and send them pictures. Did that with that woody shot I posted in "Interesting Boats." He was thrilled.

Let me know next time you are coming my way!

I will definitely try and remember that. Of course, with my poor memory.... :banghead:

We go up to Poulsbo a few times a year. Nice spot and my wife really likes walking around Poulsbo. This time, I discovered a new Brewery in town, Western Red Brewing, Co. Good stuff. I particularly liked what they call a Cascadia Dark Ale. Think a cross between a porter and an IPA.

...and even some days when things break are still great days. I spent 3 days aboard recently and had 6 failures; shift cable, shower drain, fuel cutoff solenoid failed, broken solenoid spring, starter fuse blown and the head diverter handle broke. It took a couple of weeks to fix all those items but we're back to normal now.

It was still a great fishing trip! :D

Al, remind me to have you aboard while the next break occurs! :D

Ain't that the truth Mark. For anyone interested, the outcome to the problem that ruined my birthday cruise here... http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s53/hello-coomera-queensland-36335.html#8

...turned out to be something a couple of nips up with a spanner cured. Trouble is, I couldn't find the said fuel leak, as it was only revealed by pumping the lift pump vigorously for longer than I did. It was where the copper tubing fuel line joins (via a metal locking nut), to the on-engine 2º filters. It took the diesel mechanic, who had dealt with this sort of thing before, about half an hour to fix. The tiny leak allowed air to get in and cause an air-lock when we throttled off for the first anchorage. So, it cost me the four day cruise, and $520 for the tow back..! Because, as the boat has been for sale, we had let our sub to the local Volunteer Marine Rescue folk lapse, otherwise the tow would have been free. There's a lesson there I guess. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom