Reminder: DTOPS Stickers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry for the question but... what are DTOPS stickers???

L

Sorry for the question but... what are DTOPS stickers???

L

If you cross a boarder, say Canada, then return back to the U.S. you must have this sticker. The U.S. Customs agent will ask you for the number.

Personally I see it as a tax....:mad:

If you cross a boarder, say Canada, then return back to the U.S. you must have this sticker. The U.S. Customs agent will ask you for the number.

Thank you very much I did not know that. Is this apply only to US citizen or Canadian crossing US border too? Mean if I cruise st-Lawrence around the 1000 Islands area and cross the US border would I need this?

L

That I do not know. You van give them a call
Also someone here on TF may know.

On my first crossing each year I just call customs on the phone, give them my BR number and tell them to charge my cc on file. They give me a temp number and that’s what I use for the rest of the year. I have never seen a customs officer in real life and I have never posted their sticker.

Now Homeland Security Officers are a different matter.

This sticker would come in handy for the various Caribbean islands.
I think, this sticker only involves coming back into the States. I think the captain or owner would still have to appear before a custom's officer, of a foreign port, with the ship's papers and passports of all onboard.
I really do not know and hope someone can add additional information.

I think, this sticker only involves coming back into the States. I think the captain or owner would still have to appear before a custom's officer, of a foreign port, with the ship's papers and passports of all onboard.
Only for US use. The sticker is proof of payment of the entry fee:

FAR 24.22
(e)*Fee for arrival of a private vessel or private aircraft—(1)*Fee.*Except as provided in paragraph (e)(3) of this section, the master or other person in charge of a private vessel or private aircraft must, upon first arrival in any calendar year, proceed to CBP and tender the sum of $27.50, as adjusted in accordance with the terms of paragraph (k) of this section, to cover services provided in connection with all arrivals of that vessel or aircraft during that calendar year. Either a properly completed CBP Form 339V (Annual User Fee Decal Request—Vessels) or CBP Form 339A (Annual User Fee Decal Request—Aircraft), must accompany the payment. Upon payment of the annual fee, a decal will be issued to be permanently affixed by adhesive to the vessel or aircraft, in accordance with accompanying instructions, as evidence that the fee has been paid. Except in the case of private aircraft, and aircraft landing at user fee airports authorized under 19 U.S.C. 58b, all overtime charges provided for in this part remain payable notwithstanding payment of the fee specified in this paragraph.

Only for US use. The sticker is proof of payment of the entry fee:

FAR 24.22
(e)*Fee for arrival of a private vessel or private aircraft—(1)*Fee.*Except as provided in paragraph (e)(3) of this section, the master or other person in charge of a private vessel or private aircraft must, upon first arrival in any calendar year, proceed to CBP and tender the sum of $27.50, as adjusted in accordance with the terms of paragraph (k) of this section, to cover services provided in connection with all arrivals of that vessel or aircraft during that calendar year. Either a properly completed CBP Form 339V (Annual User Fee Decal Request—Vessels) or CBP Form 339A (Annual User Fee Decal Request—Aircraft), must accompany the payment. Upon payment of the annual fee, a decal will be issued to be permanently affixed by adhesive to the vessel or aircraft, in accordance with accompanying instructions, as evidence that the fee has been paid. Except in the case of private aircraft, and aircraft landing at user fee airports authorized under 19 U.S.C. 58b, all overtime charges provided for in this part remain payable notwithstanding payment of the fee specified in this paragraph.

So I must physically appear before a custom's agent with I first apply for the sticker or can I fill out the computer form?

So I must physically appear before a custom's agent with I first apply for the sticker or can I fill out the computer form?
We did not have to appear. Just fill the form and pay the fee. The sticker came by mail a couple of weeks later, and an annual renewal email every year. The sticker lives next to our FL registration decal.

That is refreshing. I went to the Port of Ft L. The gate guard sent me to the other end of the port to the Trusted Traveler place. Needless to say, it was a total waste of time. I didn't get the sticker.
I guess I will fill out the computer form and wait a couple of weeks.

It applies to Canadian boats as well if you cross frequently as I do.

This is only for boats of 30 feet or more. Our Camano was documented at 28 feet. I had several interesting discussions with customs officials about that, but they all eventually agreed that I didn't need one.

At this time Canada doesn’t charge to clear customs. Canada is very easy. If your boat is already on file with them it’s a five minute process mostly about booze, cigs, and guns.

Coming into the USA, every rec boat over 30’ pays a fee to clear. You only pay once a year, they give you a sticker but as long as you know the number the sticker is not important. They however are much more sticky about who and what is on the boat.

If you have a nexus card then you can apply for BR numbers. If everyone on the boat has a BR number then you can clear by phone while in transit, bypassing the customs stop but you still have to pay for the sticker each year.

For those of you in South Florida who go back and forth to the Bahamas, I strongly encourage joining the SVRS (Small Vessel Reporting System). You apply online and then you schedule your interview. Once in the program, your entry to the US is greatly simplified. We haven't had to actually go to the customs location in ages. Everyone who travels with us is registered.

You would not need or use a customs sticker in the Caribbean unless you are entering Puerto Rico or the US Virgins.

You do need federal documentation, a US flag (not an ensign) and a courtesy flag of the nation you are visiting. The last three are not universally enforced but I have seen all three items enforced in different countries.

Canada accepts the US numbers?

No, US Customs wants our sticker number when we check in at a videophone. As soon as that is given all our info comes up and clearing in is very fast and easy.

No, US Customs wants our sticker number when we check in at a videophone. As soon as that is given all our info comes up and clearing in is very fast and easy.

The other rules are still enforceable. Just one person reporting in, everyone stays onboard. Customs still retains the option of coming to the boat so everyone needs to remain onboard until cleared.

To keep the guest occupied while waiting to be cleared, they can start cleaning up the boat. Suuuuuure.

It is a tax. Any fee, think user fees, is a tax. Ronald Reagan perfected the subterfuge that he wasn't raising taxes by instituting new user fees. Any method of involuntary transfer of wealth to any government is a tax by definition. Having said that, I generally am not opposed to user fees. The most common user fee? Bridge and highway tolls.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom