Hi everyone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thekiltedwonder

Veteran Member
I've been poking around the site for a while, so I figured it was about time to make an account and introduce myself.

I grew up in the panhandle of Florida and am currently landlocked near Albuquerque. I love it here, but have really been missing the gulf, so I started thinking about getting a liveaboard and splitting my time.

I don't have a boat yet, but am hoping to start seriously looking sometime next year. I'm currently thinking that I'll get a relatively inexpensive trawler to figure out what I really want/need and what I can live without.

Welcome aboard and good luck in your search for a boat. Be aware though that an inexpensive trawler may just be a mirage in the desert and soon become a bit more expensive.

L

Be aware though that an inexpensive trawler may just be a mirage in the desert and soon become a bit more expensive.

Haha. No doubt. One major part of my research will be figuring out where my sweet spot is when combining initial price, needed/likely repairs, maintenance/running costs, and risk.

Welcome.

Older trawlers like classic Mainship 34s, Marine Trader 34s and the like range from $10,000 for a project boat, $25,000 for something useable but needing cosmetic and/or electronic upgrades, and up to $45,000 for a nice looking boat where everything works.

A single guy or with a tolerant partner can live comfortably on a 34'er.

If you are looking for a 40'er then add about $25,000 to the above figures.

Good luck,

David

Older trawlers like classic Mainship 34s, Marine Trader 34s and the like range from $10,000 for a project boat, $25,000 for something useable but needing cosmetic and/or electronic upgrades, and up to $45,000 for a nice looking boat where everything works.

Thanks for the info. That's not too far off what what I had been guessing, but it's very good to hear it from someone with more experience than I have.

The Marine Traders look really close to what I was envisioning. The Mainships look good as well, but my concern would be having a v-berth instead of an actual bed/stateroom. My instincts are that it would be fine for a few nights, but would get old before long.

A single guy or with a tolerant partner can live comfortably on a 34'er.

My girlfriend is definitely tolerant. If she wasn't, she'd have dumped me a loooong time ago....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom