If you have an old boat;how was your first year aboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Haha OFB, i had a similar experience involving a spacce heater, hot water heater, and a shower.

I was all set to add my laundry list from almost 3 years of living aboard but this is my view this morning (and most mornings) that makes it totally worth it.

The list never gets shorter, the items on it just become less and less imperative.

Attachments

• 2017113095064401.jpg
    2017113095064401.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 172
Thanks to everyone

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. With my rant over and problems simmering down for now, I realized I was just a little overwhelmed. We took a small trip/vacation and all fell into perspective. With the dolphins riding my wake I know I don't want to live on the dirt.

I've got a List of things to do, on the boat.
I've got a List of things to do, in the condo.
I've got a List of things to do, for the car.

Have you considered, when you accomplish everything on your lists, it's "check out" time?
Work top down, add at the bottom. Just like in the corporate world we all detested and left.
There will come a time when we are forced into 'assisted living' unless we are lucky enough to die in our sleep.

I have not checked reliability of the following from the web... but, sounds about correct.

Scientific research has been done and although no specific reasons of death were a result, statistics show that 1 out of 8 Americans die in their sleep. Many times people die in their sleep for obvious reasons such as, heart problems, respiratory dysfunction or simply over dosing on pills or alcohol.

Interesting paradox re doctors compared to "people"...

A recent RadioLab podcast, titled "The Bitter End," identified an interesting paradox. When you ask people how they’d like to die, most will say that they want to die quickly, painlessly, and peacefully—preferably in their sleep.

But if you ask them whether they would want various types of interventions were they on the cusp of death and already living a low-quality of life, they typically say “yes,” “yes,” and “can I have some more please.” Blood transfusions, feeding tubes, invasive testing, chemotherapy, dialysis, ventilation, and chest pumping CPR. Most people say “yes.”

But not physicians. Doctors, it turns out, overwhelmingly say “no.” The graph below shows the answers that physicians give when asked if they would want various interventions at the bitter end. The only intervention that doctors overwhelmingly want is pain medication. In no other case do even 20 percent of the physicians say “yes.”

I've got a List of things to do, on the boat.
I've got a List of things to do, in the condo.
I've got a List of things to do, for the car.

Have you considered, when you accomplish everything on your lists, it's "check out" time?
Work top down, add at the bottom. Just like in the corporate world we all detested and left.
There will come a time when we are forced into 'assisted living' unless we are lucky enough to die in our sleep.

Great insight.

Holy smoke Art, I think you must be having a seriously grey day, that is really depressing. Someone should do a study of the ratio of people who would prefer to die in their sleep to owning a boat :)

Since you brought it up however, I think I'm with the yes crowd. When the wife was on life support due to CHF and COPD the hospital handed me a "do not resuscitate order" which I politely declined. She ended up having most all the interventions you listed and more. It was the right call, she may never set foot on a boat again but today she is getting stronger by the day, happy, active and glad to be alive.

Capt Kangeroo, we all wish your wife and you great good fortune. May she steadily improve for one last voyage.
God bless you both.

I don't mind repairs and maintenance that I can do myself. It's the items where I have to depend on others that I dread. For example, I need (want) to repaint the non-skid on the bow and it should be done inside the storage building. The facility managers frown on owners doing paint work. Understandable because of overspray concerns....but it makes me dependent on them, their schedule, and their quality of workmanship. The problem is compounded because the boat is 1500 miles from the dirt residence.

Capt Kangeroo, we all wish your wife and you great good fortune. May she steadily improve for one last voyage.
God bless you both.

CK - I 100% agree with and second OD's statement! :thumb:

Our 94 yr. old matriarch has been saved by interventions several times over the last 10 yrs. Still kicking today and living alone, sharp as a tack [well pretty much - lol] Albeit... with much daily assistance visits from family members and a couple of hourly hired persons. We mostly live in a few minute radius.

No grey days here! Just stating web stats... kinda in answer to previous posts :D

No need to worry Gordon! Those who do not livaboard are missing a great life and are jealous!

We bought our tub Sept 2013, moved aboard in April 2014. So far we have been to SE Alaska twice and put almost 10K miles on ASD. Things break. This year it was our windlass. But that seems to be the norm in Alaska this year, broke windlasses. It also happened to our friends on Pairadice and on Mr. Fleming's 65ft Venture. There were also a few more...

Hang in there buddy! Its a GREAT life!

AKS
Based upon reading of your windlass travails this post season, we elected to have our Maxwell torn down, serviced, inspected and a few bits replaced. Good thing we did, several issues that would have bitten us cropped up.

I don't mind repairs and maintenance that I can do myself. It's the items where I have to depend on others that I dread. For example, I need (want) to repaint the non-skid on the bow and it should be done inside the storage building. The facility managers frown on owners doing paint work. Understandable because of overspray concerns....but it makes me dependent on them, their schedule, and their quality of workmanship. The problem is compounded because the boat is 1500 miles from the dirt residence.

UNDERSTOOD! Our boat is only 100 miles away [yours is 1500 miles - geesh]. Complications regarding our Kohler gen set's electric output turbine have become a hassle; and looks like getting costly - too!!

If I had more time or boat was closer I believe I could solve things quicker and at less cost.

AKS
Based upon reading of your windlass travails this post season, we elected to have our Maxwell torn down, serviced, inspected and a few bits replaced. Good thing we did, several issues that would have bitten us cropped up.

Pays to perform preventive maintenance. But in my case age, at 29 years my issue was age...:nonono:

I'm looking at a late 80's TT that has fuel, water and holding tanks replaced recently - thinking I should pull the trigger:):)

I'm looking at a late 80's TT that has fuel, water and holding tanks replaced recently - thinking I should pull the trigger:):)

Well, there's 3 things you won't have to worry about. Don't worry - There will still be dozens of other projects to stop you getting bored.

The "First Year Aboard" , in a word , EXPENSIVE!

All of the above is true. But if you are buying an older boat, the skills (or pocketbook) of the previous owner will make a lot of difference in what it takes to fix something that subsequently breaks, and we know it will.

My buddy bought a CHB 45 from a former member of this forum. Everything and I do mean everything that was added, replaced or modified from the original boat was an absolute disaster from a plumbing, electrical and mechanical installation standpoint. There was nothing that once it broke, you could just drop in a new one and hook it up and go. It all had to be rewired, replumbed, etc.

This essentially doubled the repair labor of anything that broke and in some cases hastened the failure.

So for all of you old boat potential buyers, check out the POs credentials. It is important.

Oh and you might ask, didn't the surveyor note the zip cord wiring, the wire nut splices, the duct tape holding the drain pipe together, etc. No, but to be fair, most were hidden.

David

Last edited:
When someone is selling their boat it's usually because they are anticipating a significant repair cost or they've become overwhelmed with things breaking. It's a boat! Even new boats have many things that need adjusting or fixing. I've owned both.

When someone is selling their boat it's usually because they are anticipating a significant repair cost or they've become overwhelmed with things breaking. It's a boat! Even new boats have many things that need adjusting or fixing. I've owned both.

Or... while a boat is in good condition it's being sold, because... owner died, got divorced, came into $$$ and decided to move up to another boat, had a stroke, got too old, decided to tour in a diesel pusher on the road, had the kids grow up and move away........ etc....... etc.

In other words and of course as always: Caveat Emptor! That said: Not every boat for sale is on the market because it's in some sort of dilapidated condition.

I've purchased used boats in really good condition. And, some not so good. However, by carefully checking out each boat first I know what to expect. :whistling:

Or... while a boat is in good condition it's being sold, because... owner died, got divorced, came into $$$ and decided to move up to another boat, had a stroke, got too old, decided to tour in a diesel pusher on the road, had the kids grow up and move away........ etc....... etc.

In other words and of course as always: Caveat Emptor! That said: Not every boat for sale is on the market because it's in some sort of dilapidated condition.

I've purchased used boats in really good condition. And, some not so good. However, by carefully checking out each boat first I know what to expect. :whistling:

My first boat was from the wife of a doctor that passed away. I must have paid for the boat a couple of times replacing the heat exchangers, risers, impellers, bottom paint, zincs, hoses and on and on, about $14k. A few months later the outdrive needed rebuilding.

I bought a new boat after that. I figured the warrantee would cover anything that went wrong and it did until the warrantee expired. After that I just started writing checks. I have a folder about an inch thick with repair receipts.

Maybe I'm just unlucky. I bought the boat in 2014 and sold it in 2017. I figure they are boats. You either learn how to work on it or make lots of money to pay someone else to work on it. New or used, it doesn't matter. You put a very expensive device with multiple systems in to salt water and it will start the corroding process the minute that it's launched.

Boats cost lots of money or lots of time fixing and maintaining them.

One of my favorite quotes, from the old salt pro captain of a high end custom sportfisher"

"Even as we sit here enjoying our drinks, all tied up and safe and sound, something is breaking"

Thanks a million. That made my day, and can't wait to quote it to my mates tomorrow arvo when we're out at Tangalooma sipping rumbos.

Take heart, Gordon - if for no other reason than you're not alone. Not by a long shot. All the skinned knuckles, banged heads and depleted bank balances tend to fade in the memory when you're watching a sunset on the pick.

I am not a live aboard and excluding the engine maintenance and addition of galvanic isolater, grounding/bonding etc., I have replaced 2 toilets, 3 faucets, 1 of 2 air conditioners, stove, refrigerator and the list goes on for big ticket items. I knew what I was getting into. It’s a boat and I love spending time on the water. Gotta do what ya gotta do!

Near as I can figure, my 2008 34ft American Tug is completed.

Test the main engine and drive line at the dock, start the generator and put a load on it for a couple of hours too. I do this a couple times a month.

I added 5 custom cabinets of various sizes with the intent of stuffing more stuff on board. I still haven't figured out a way to expand the hanging closet.

There are one or two small project left to do but, that will keep the next owner busy for a couple of days.

The electronics are 10 years old but still working well.

Added a Splendie non-venting washer dryer.

I added a second stand alone depth sounder and a second stand alone rudder indicator. Just one of my quirks. With a depth sounder, rudder indicator, compass and reasonable current charts, one can reach land at some point.

Have a new tender (10ft RIB) with a new Honda 6hp outboard.

Ah, replaced both 10 year old reverse cycle A/C. The new ones are more power efficient and the condensate pans are a plastic material which in my feeble mind is a major plus.

Replaced the carpet, through out the boat.

Added 3 additional bilge pumps (for a total of 4) and high water alarms. These are connected to a LOUD bell.

Ah, put in a 400gpd 12vt water maker to supplement the 150 water tank.

Added a 1500 watt inverter to run the microwave when I use the stove. Yes, a 2000 or 2500 watt might be better but.... remember, the inverter is sucking off the house batteries. If I am careful, I can last 2 or 3 days if I am careful, without starting the generator or main engine.

Added 2 solar panels to float the batteries. Added a 3rd house battery.

The boat is ready but, I cant find a lady to go with me to that famous place called "somewhere".

Remember, the 34 ft is a one stateroom, one head boat plus the infamous convertible settee. (Has anyone convinced their company, that settee sleeps well?)

I have kept some marine industry people busy working on my boat so they are happy.

I am most definitely at the point where the next owner will be proud to own this boat.

Now, I sit each morning, drink my coffee, read the multi-posts here, smoke a cigar and promise myself I will make breakfast soon and listen to the satellite radio. I enjoy classical music and the mystery programs from the 30s, 40s and 50s.

Seldom do I listen to any news programs.... they are all downers.

Life is good if you let it be good.

Now, it is almost 9am, I shall make breakfast.

Ah, one unanswered question. How much has this 'updating' cost? I dont know, I dont want to know either. I would like to believe, everything I did was done well and will last.

Last edited:
Old marine saying: "Owning a boat sometimes ='s hole in water, usually surrounded by wood [now usually fiberglass] into which one throws money!"

Another marine saying: "Owning a boat often ='s personal freedom that can result in many levels of enjoyments unlike any others in existence"

Fact: No matter what type enjoyment one is desiring... one way or another life forces us to pay if we want to play. The amount of capital$$$, or efforts we spend to continue along on our desired play-way is directly linked to how smart we are in purchasing the play-toys needed for "our" play. Also running into the equation of capital$$$ and effort expense toward our play-way desires is how much we feel need to improve our play-toys beyond their simply useable play-way state.

As with any item ever purchased throughout life, again I say: Caveat Emptor!

In Closing [this is my closing statement at end of long poem I wrote for Mr. Robert Merland Tollefson on his 98th birthday. "Tolly" passed away at 100 yrs.]:

Boats – Forever!

Of necessity and for simplicity, floating devices were utilized by humans for transportation purposes long before the wheel was devised.

Via human ingenuity, intelligent boat designs became the natural outcropping.

Of necessity and for pleasure, floating devices that carry all manner of items will continue to be one of the most often used and intricately designed transportation devices.

Of pleasure, “power boating” and “sail boating” will always remain as one of the best recreational devices ever available, bar none!

By design, Tollycraft will always be a renowned name in boats.

THE END! :speed boat:

Last edited:
I am not a live aboard and excluding the engine maintenance and addition of galvanic isolater, grounding/bonding etc., I have replaced 2 toilets, 3 faucets, 1 of 2 air conditioners, stove, refrigerator and the list goes on for big ticket items. I knew what I was getting into. It’s a boat and I love spending time on the water. Gotta do what ya gotta do!

Agreed! It's worth every penny that I've spent. It's just a matter of staying away from boat yards as much as possible. Houses aren't cheep to maintain either.

There are few things as enjoyable as waking up at the marina or on the hook. All I have to do is get my butt down to the boat and I immediately relax. No regrets.

Cheers!

In the first year we:

Replaced all the electronics
Put a hard top on the flybridge
New flybridge enclosure
New sundeck enclosure
Painted flybridge and cabin sides with 2 part polyurethane paint
Painted bow and side decks with Kiwigrip
Fiberglassed 4 leaking windows closed
Added excape hatch for aft cabin
Added 3 ventilation hatches to fwd head, galley and dinette
Replaced aft cabin bed
Rebuild aft head
Replaced house batteries
Replaced several plastic through hulls with bronxe
Removed 2 handrails on bow that caused several leaks
Divided rope locker into 2 sections for backup anchor rode
Reupholstered dinette cushions
Added 2nd helm seat on flybridge
Lots of fiberglass work
Replaced most of the lighting with LED including nav lights
Rebuilt swim platform and painted with Kiwigrip
Buffed lots of stainless steel
Sanded teak toe rails to wood and refinished
Replaced 2 30 amp inlets with Smart Plugs
Added dock box to bow for storage
Replaced several faucets

In the second year:

Replaced the AC/DC power panel
Rewired lots of the boat
Added stern thruster
Replaced 11 plastic portholes with 316 cast stainless steel portholes
Paint the hull with 2 part polyurethane paint
Sand more teak to wood and refinish
Added hailer with intercom
More stuff that I have yet to think of

We knew that we had a lot of work to do when we bought the boat, but that is my hobby and I love working on boats so I am a happy camper.

My first boat was from the wife of a doctor that passed away. I must have paid for the boat a couple of times replacing the heat exchangers, risers, impellers, bottom paint, zincs, hoses and on and on, about $14k. A few months later the outdrive needed rebuilding.

I bought a new boat after that. I figured the warrantee would cover anything that went wrong and it did until the warrantee expired. After that I just started writing checks. I have a folder about an inch thick with repair receipts.

Maybe I'm just unlucky. I bought the boat in 2014 and sold it in 2017. I figure they are boats. You either learn how to work on it or make lots of money to pay someone else to work on it. New or used, it doesn't matter. You put a very expensive device with multiple systems in to salt water and it will start the corroding process the minute that it's launched.

Boats cost lots of money or lots of time fixing and maintaining them.

So, I'm confused then. Are you boatless now and not going back to the lifestyle??

Near as I can figure, my 2008 34ft American Tug is completed.

Test the main engine and drive line at the dock, start the generator and put a load on it for a couple of hours too. I do this a couple times a month.

I added 5 custom cabinets of various sizes with the intent of stuffing more stuff on board. I still haven't figured out a way to expand the hanging closet.

There are one or two small project left to do but, that will keep the next owner busy for a couple of days.

The electronics are 10 years old but still working well.

Added a Splendie non-venting washer dryer.

I added a second stand alone depth sounder and a second stand alone rudder indicator. Just one of my quirks. With a depth sounder, rudder indicator, compass and reasonable current charts, one can reach land at some point.

Have a new tender (10ft RIB) with a new Honda 6hp outboard.

Ah, replaced both 10 year old reverse cycle A/C. The new ones are more power efficient and the condensate pans are a plastic material which in my feeble mind is a major plus.

Replaced the carpet, through out the boat.

Added 3 additional bilge pumps (for a total of 4) and high water alarms. These are connected to a LOUD bell.

Ah, put in a 400gpd 12vt water maker to supplement the 150 water tank.

Added a 1500 watt inverter to run the microwave when I use the stove. Yes, a 2000 or 2500 watt might be better but.... remember, the inverter is sucking off the house batteries. If I am careful, I can last 2 or 3 days if I am careful, without starting the generator or main engine.

Added 2 solar panels to float the batteries. Added a 3rd house battery.

The boat is ready but, I cant find a lady to go with me to that famous place called "somewhere".

Remember, the 34 ft is a one stateroom, one head boat plus the infamous convertible settee. (Has anyone convinced their company, that settee sleeps well?)

I have kept some marine industry people busy working on my boat so they are happy.

I am most definitely at the point where the next owner will be proud to own this boat.

Now, I sit each morning, drink my coffee, read the multi-posts here, smoke a cigar and promise myself I will make breakfast soon and listen to the satellite radio. I enjoy classical music and the mystery programs from the 30s, 40s and 50s.

Seldom do I listen to any news programs.... they are all downers.

Life is good if you let it be good.

Now, it is almost 9am, I shall make breakfast.

Ah, one unanswered question. How much has this 'updating' cost? I dont know, I dont want to know either. I would like to believe, everything I did was done well and will last.

Great! Now when are you selling her so the next owner can take advantage of the all the upgrades you did?! Sorry, couldn't resist!

Great! Now when are you selling her so the next owner can take advantage of the all the upgrades you did?! Sorry, couldn't resist!

When I cant get from the dock to the boat and back. SMILE
Or maybe when I die or turn 80
Want me to put your name on the list? LOL

I also put new seals on the shaft and rudder stock.

Back
Top Bottom