Which screw head do you prefer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nearly 50¢ each, in a bulk variety pack!

Surely if you know what sizes you want there are cheaper suppliers of 100 at a time?

Note the use of the word "splurge". Guys I know who bought that set told me it was worth it to them to avoid the time and effort to get onesies and twosies. If our time is worth something, I see what they mean. Plus it covered every screw type on their boat.

Yes I understand, and fair enough.

But if anyone know of quality reasonably-priced bulk suppliers of proper Robertson's screws and bits please post links.

I am sold. OK, include among the list of things the Canadians have that is better than the US: Robertson screws, metric system, and $1, and $2 coins.

"and $1, and $2 coins." are great!!!!!

A walk down a popular beach in Canada with a metal detector can be very rewarding.

I am sold. OK, include among the list of things the Canadians have that is better than the US: Robertson screws, metric system, and $1, and $2 coins.

Legal weed next year? :hide::hide::hide:

Lots more can be attributed to Canadians: From Wikipedia, the 50 top inventions, in voted order, are:

1. Insulin
  2. Light bulb
  3. Five-pin bowling
  4. Wonderbra
  5. Artificial pacemaker
  6. Robertson screw
  7. Zipper
  8. Electric Wheelchair
  9. Poutine
  10. Cobalt-60 “Bomb” Cancer Treatment
  11. Java programming language
  12. Bloody Caesar
  13. Canadarm
  14. Standard time
  15. Electron microscope
  16. Snowmobiling
  17. BlackBerry

1. Radio Voice Transmission
  2. Birch-Bark Canoe
  3. Basketball
  4. Retractable Beer Carton Handle
  5. UV Degradable Plastics
  6. Instant Replay
  7. Goalie mask
  8. Marquis Wheat
  9. Pablum
  10. Lacrosse
  11. Electric Oven
  12. Steam Fog Horn
  13. Walkie-Talkie
  14. Alkaline battery
  15. Paint roller
  16. Electronic Music Synthesizer
  17. Weevac 6
  18. Green Garbage Bag

1. Snowblower
  2. Self-Propelled Combine Harvester
  3. Instant mashed potatoes
  4. Explosives Vapour Detector
  5. Marine Screw Propeller
  6. Plexiglas
  7. Key Frame Animation
  8. CPR Mannequin (Actar 911)
  9. G-Suit
  10. Ardox Spiral Nail
  11. Automatic Lubricating Cup
  12. Crash-Position Indicator
  13. Caulking gun
  14. Separable Baggage Check
  15. Hawaiian Pizza
  16. Superman
  17. Mushroom and Pineapple Pizza
Breakthrough Physics by Ernest Rutherford at McGill. Breakthrough medical education by McGill prof., William Ostler who went on to found, with three others, Johns Hopkins Univ in Baltimore. Recall that Alexander Graham Bell was a Canadian from Nova Scotia; many of his inventions were made there. (The more adventurous of us could go by trawler and visit his museum and home in Baddeck on Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia.)

You could well add: civility, universal health care, and a well-earned almost universal respect by the other peoples of the world.

Lots more can be attributed to Canadians: From Wikipedia, the 50 top inventions, in voted order, are:

1. Insulin
  2. Light bulb
  3. Five-pin bowling
  4. Wonderbra
  5. Artificial pacemaker
  6. Robertson screw
  7. Zipper
  8. Electric Wheelchair
  9. Poutine
  10. Cobalt-60 “Bomb” Cancer Treatment
  11. Java programming language
  12. Bloody Caesar
  13. Canadarm
  14. Standard time
  15. Electron microscope
  16. Snowmobiling
  17. BlackBerry

1. Radio Voice Transmission
  2. Birch-Bark Canoe
  3. Basketball
  4. Retractable Beer Carton Handle
  5. UV Degradable Plastics
  6. Instant Replay
  7. Goalie mask
  8. Marquis Wheat
  9. Pablum
  10. Lacrosse
  11. Electric Oven
  12. Steam Fog Horn
  13. Walkie-Talkie
  14. Alkaline battery
  15. Paint roller
  16. Electronic Music Synthesizer
  17. Weevac 6
  18. Green Garbage Bag

1. Snowblower
  2. Self-Propelled Combine Harvester
  3. Instant mashed potatoes
  4. Explosives Vapour Detector
  5. Marine Screw Propeller
  6. Plexiglas
  7. Key Frame Animation
  8. CPR Mannequin (Actar 911)
  9. G-Suit
  10. Ardox Spiral Nail
  11. Automatic Lubricating Cup
  12. Crash-Position Indicator
  13. Caulking gun
  14. Separable Baggage Check
  15. Hawaiian Pizza
  16. Superman
  17. Mushroom and Pineapple Pizza
Breakthrough Physics by Ernest Rutherford at McGill. Breakthrough medical education by McGill prof., William Ostler who went on to found, with three others, Johns Hopkins Univ in Baltimore. Recall that Alexander Graham Bell was a Canadian from Nova Scotia; many of his inventions were made there. (The more adventurous of us could go by trawler and visit his museum and home in Baddeck on Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia.)

You could well add: civility, universal health care, and a well-earned almost universal respect by the other peoples of the world.

On behalf of my fellow Canucks, thanks for that.

I’ve sailed by Alexander Graham Bell’s home on the Bras d’Or Lakes. It’s a magnificent setting.

Although the first telephone was constructed and used in Boston, Bell maintained throughout his life that he invented the phone in my home town, Brantford, Ontario. The Bell homestead is a museum there.

"Brantford is justified in calling herself "The Telephone City," because the Telephone originated there."
A. G. Bell to Mr. T. H. Preston of Brantford, March 1916

:banghead:I just wish there were a single universal design and be done with it!!! The most frustrating issues is coming across one of the new designs and away from any source of tool access.:facepalm:
It has happened too many times, then when you secure the tool, added to the inventory, either such a small bit head, or one you keep shoving aside in the on going search for the correct one for the current job.:confused::confused:
Work on this trawler members, you have the power.:socool::socool::flowers:

Al-Ketchikan

Greetings,
Mr. Al. "... a single universal design and be done with it!!!" You mean like the metric system? :banghead:

Yes I understand, and fair enough.

But if anyone know of quality reasonably-priced bulk suppliers of proper Robertson's screws and bits please post links.

McMaster Carr, Jamestown Distributors and the evil Amazon empire all have them in various configurations. Some have silicon bronze as well as 316 stainless.

Well said Dave.

Nobody has mentioned Frearson, which look like Philips but differ and require a unique driver.

https://www.jamestowndistributors.c...er_att_name0~UserType^user_att_value0~NewUser

<snip>
Silicon Bronze is the traditional choice for marine construction. It is corrosion resistant, helps prevent rot around the screw holes when used under water, and is relatively strong. Although stronger than Solid Brass, Silicon Bronze screws are not as strong as Stainless Steel. They require a carefully sized pilot hole to avoid breakage. We recommend drilling twice (once for the root and once for the shank) as well as using fastener lubricant to avoid breakage.
<\snip>

Yep,:flowers: two of the brighter folk :blush:on the forum coming up with challenges for the concept of a universal universe. Good show lads,:thumb:

Greetings,
Mr. Al. "... a single universal design and be done with it!!!" You mean like the metric system?

LOL or a universal / standard cordless tool battery / charger ...fb
al-:lol::rofl::D

We recommend drilling twice (once for the root and once for the shank) as well as using fastener lubricant to avoid breakage.
<\snip>

Greats tips, Dave.

I keep a little bar of soap in with my case of assorted marine screws.
Just drag the threads of the screw across the bar of soap prior to use, and it makes the screw goes in so much easier.

I quit using single-tip screw drivers years ago, except for prying tops off paint cans. Magnetic, renewable insert tip screw drivers are the only way to go, each having some sort of magazine for storing various sizes and styles of tips. I must have at least 10, a couple in the garage, a couple on the boat, a couple in the truck, one at my part-time job, one in the kitchen, several in the basement workshop. Make that a dozen instead of 10. If I come across a Torx screw head, I'm prepared for it. Robertson is no prob.

Greats tips, Dave.

I keep a little bar of soap in with my case of assorted marine screws.
Just drag the threads of the screw across the bar of soap prior to use, and it makes the screw goes in so much easier.

As a kid, I learned all kinds of tricks from my Dad. Bar of soap was one (I still have a small sample size bar of Dove soap in my tool box) but if you don't have a bar of soap handy, or lubricant, you can just run the screw through your hair a few times. Unless you have washed your hair that morning, there is enough oil in the hair to lubricate the screw.

As a kid, I learned all kinds of tricks from my Dad. Bar of soap was one (I still have a small sample size bar of Dove soap in my tool box) but if you don't have a bar of soap handy, or lubricant, you can just run the screw through your hair a few times. Unless you have washed your hair that morning, there is enough oil in the hair to lubricate the screw.

Oh O... guess I screwed up that lube type!!!

Attachments

• Linda, Art, Coop & Kyl - Full Size_100_1355.jpg
    Linda, Art, Coop & Kyl - Full Size_100_1355.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 35
Mr. Al. "... a single universal design and be done with it!!!" You mean like the metric system?

Well, the metric system just means that we have to own two separate sets of tools. :banghead:

Magnetic, renewable insert tip screw drivers are the only way to go,

As far as the bit goes, magnetic is a non-factor on a boat, because screw-in fasteners should be stainless or bronze or nylon/plastic type material.

"As far as the bit goes, magnetic is a non-factor on a boat, because screw-in fasteners should be stainless or bronze or nylon/plastic type material.'

Quality is MONEL.

Yes they are OTS , but not cheap.

I had to pull a couple dozen ancient fasteners this afternoon. Man, was I ever glad that the Canadian builder had used all Robertson fasteners! They would have surely stripped had they not been.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom