international license

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

michel98807

After more than 20 years of sailing, now retired my wife and I want to sail on a Trawler, Our problem and know the kind of license for a deep sea navigation in the South Pacific.
Thanks for your help

A good place to start is with your insurance agency since they need to insure your vessel

None is needed for recreational boating unless New Caledonia has changed the requirements for their citizens since we were there.

Licences are required in Australia. Its a State jurisdiction. The States recognise other licences, including foreign licences, for visitors.

NSW state, Australia, requires operators running at or above 10 knots to be licensed. We are both licensed, but as the Scots say, "a chance would be a fine thing".
New Caledonia being a French territory, a Passport is probably more important.
We did a dockwalk recently in Noumea, some interesting boats,coral growing right next to the seawall.

Not that the Australian licence is worth anything.
You learn zero about larger vessels and do your practical in a small dinghy.
Our tender is larger than the test vessel I used.

It does seem a bit odd that the license required for a 100 tonne recreational trawler suitable for circumnavigation is the same bit of paper required for a 2hp outboard dinghy, but that's the way it is here.
It's is a simple multiple choice written exam.

If a licence isn't required or issued in New Caledonia it may be possible to apply for one in wherever you purchase the boat (if not locally)

Boat licenses in Australia are just another fancy money grab they serve no propose apart from filling the pockets of the states .

PLUS, in Queensland anyway, if you transgress on the water and incur a fine, the demerit points are recorded against your car licence. We don`t actually get a physical boating licence - it is recorded on your car licence.

Don`t know what happens if you haven`t got a drivers licence.

Bruce, up hear the 10knt rule doesn`t apply. Several years ago when we owned our sail boat (34ft) two of us were in a race - sailing with a spinnaker doing maybe 3knts - a slow day. The chaps in blue came alongside and asked to see my licence - I gave him the 10knt story and he said (ever so politely),,,,,,,,,,no..........I was wrong and needed one. He gave me the option of a fine or showing him a licence within 30 days.
Quick as a flash, and not needing to call a friend, I took the licence option - what a waste of time as Simi says but it saved the fine.

The Qld requirement is now linked to engine size - greater that 4.5kw (about 10hp I think)

New Zealand, Australia and South Africa were the only countries that had licensing requirements when we went through 10 plus years ago and they were for the country's residents only not for foreign flagged vessels.

In the late 90's NZ tried to enforce their safety requirements on foreign vessels. It ended up in court and NZ lost on appeal. I wouldn't be surprised if a few things have changed since.

Last edited:
Checked the NSW boating license requirements, the obligation to hold one is still limited to boat operators exceeding 10 knots. So, you could have a 30 knot capable boat, but provided you operate <10 knots, no license is required. I must say I don`t get it, all in or all out would make more sense, but from recollection, the distinction had its origins in enabling boat hire/charter companies to charter to the unlicensed. The days of Halvorsen as a large hire company are long gone but others still exist, especially in houseboat hire.
There may be different requirements for jetski operators, and commercial craft operators.

Back
Top Bottom