Anchoring Technique Program

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve Bedford

I just found out that Rudy and Jill Sechez, authors of the the highly acclaimed book on anchoring, "ANCHORING- A Ground Tackler's Apprentice" is offering a hands-on course on all aspects of successful anchoring. This is designed to be a “hands-on training” conducted aboard their trawler or the client’s boat. Other arrangements including land-based group classes are also available.

Contact Rudy or Jill Sechez
rudysechez@gmail.com
850-832-7748

I have no affiliation with this but knowing Rudy and Jill and their expertise, I can predict this would be an outstanding and informative program.

Steve Bedford

What size and type anchor do they recommend? :popcorn:

Point of clarification: the original post was not intended to start another anchor thread. My apologies if that is the impression that was received by my post. In talking to Rudy, their purpose is to help those who are intending to spend significant continuous time on their boat, especially at anchor, and are not as experienced or comfortable as they would like to be.

Again, my apologies to the group if my purpose for sharing was not accurately conveyed.
Steve

It`s not unusual to engage a coach for boat handling, docking, so why not anchoring procedures too. Good idea.

I must be under-thinking it.

I just drop my anchor as I reverse, give it a tug and then relax. I'd struggle to write a page about it, never mind a book. Sometimes it's good being blissfully unaware.

It`s not unusual to engage a coach for boat handling, docking, so why not anchoring procedures too. Good idea.

Based on some of the anchoring I've seen, this sounds like a good training. Issues I've seen just in the past two weeks:

- Letting out too little scope before trying to set the anchor. Not surprisingly, the anchor just skips along the bottom.

- Being unaware of other boat's swing circle, and anchoring too close or across someone else's chain.

- Not having any clue how much scope is appropriate for a given situation.

And most important, having the wrong anchor and not enough chain :) :eek::hide::horse:

In Wrightsville Beach a few weeks ago, I was t boned by a motorsailer that was sailing horrifically on its anchor.

While it was far away when it anchored, the conditions changed and it started to sail around miserably.

The nice elderly couple was dumbfounded, refused to move, but stayed up all night with the engine running to back down every time they came near me.

Most anchor training doesnt include extremes so I hope this one is more complete.

Point of clarification: the original post was not intended to start another anchor thread. My apologies if that is the impression that was received by my post. In talking to Rudy, their purpose is to help those who are intending to spend significant continuous time on their boat, especially at anchor, and are not as experienced or comfortable as they would like to be.

Again, my apologies to the group if my purpose for sharing was not accurately conveyed.
Steve

You don’t need to apologize Steve. Alaskan Sea-Duction is just being rude and thinks he’s posting a joke.

Most anchor training doesnt include extremes so I hope this one is more complete.

I did see an early outline of the training session that the Sechez’s are planning. It indeed spends lots of time addressing extreme severe concerns conditions.

Some/many on this forum know Rudy and Jill Sechez. They live full-time on their 34’ Trawler that Rudy designed and built himself. They cruise on the East Coast of the US, Caribbean, the Gulf of Mexico, and inland rivers and waterways. They have successfully anchored during a number of hurricanes.

Steve

Anchoring during a hurricane does not suggest to me expertise.....

One is bad enough, several times....hmmmmm...

Just had a world class trimaran anchor within 200 feet of me

The creek is fairly uniform, and miles long.

Just another dimwit with lots of experience I would bet that I have to worry about tonight.

The longer I am in the boating business and actively cruising, the less I trust "expert" training.

Last edited:
“Anchoring during a hurricane does not suggest to me expertise.....”

Each captain has to make decisions. I got an email from one of my customers about his successful anchoring experience in the Snake River during Hurricane Irma.

I know Rudy feels most confident in his entire ground tackle set-up than he does in a marina tied up to a dock close to other vessels. He would rather use his “storm” or “hurricane” set up and get as far away from other vessels, docks, land etc as possible. He does not recommend that to others but for those who choose that option, I know of no one else better to learn from. He indeed is an expert founded on years of practical experience that very few ever obtain.

Steve

Too many experts in the boating business have survived a few instances to write or teach about them but fall way short of really knowing why they survived.

Look at the 2 ladies that just claimed to survive all kinds of stuff and were rescued last month. How many here would call them survival experts yet 5 years from now, how many articles, books and videos by these rxperts might be sold?

Just read a book on doing the great loop where the author said an autopilot was a waste of time as it had little or no use in his mind.

As a former USCG helo pilot I know a lot of one story short experts that got hoisted because their expertise was one notch off.

Cant say for sure in this case, just letting all prospective students in on not too big of a secret in boating circles about boating experts.

Last edited:
Earl Hinz wrote an entire book on the subject of anchoring, a rollicking read if ever there was one. Quite useful actually, lots of information and answers to things we less knowledgeable boaters wondered about. Even the etiquette of anchoring.

You don’t need to apologize Steve. Alaskan Sea-Duction is just being rude and thinks he’s posting a joke.

I was joking!!! Anchors and rode have been a LOOOONG topic of discussion here on TF. Try going over to the Sea Ray Forum and mention Honda generators on your swim deck.......

I apologize if I offended you NW. I really think learning how to anchor is very important. I still am trying to figure out how to drop the hook in crowded anchorages.

Sorry for the interruption, now back to your regular programming.....:popcorn:

Last edited:
I agree a lot of info can be shared. Especially the ettiquette stuff.

Not that there is a right answer, but 2 hrs after going to bed I have to get up and make sure the yahoo sharing my patch of creek has a compatible amoung of rode out. Another 100 feet down the creek and I wouldnt worry.

A Seduction,
It’s a bit of an irritant when people put up the dead horse implying the anchor talk is over and we should move on. But every time there’s quite a few (or more) that have something to say. So indeed it’s not over. Hundreds of times members try to bring a thread to a close like the’re the head master and we’re all subordinates and should heed to the closer. Well IMO as long as there is posting there is something somebody thinks is worth posting and nobody has the right to bring the discussion to a halt.

And I do believe you meant it as a joke. As to Honda generators I sure hope there’s no one here w one of those bad boys.

Eric, you see the dead horse saying the subject is done. My interpretation is different. I see it as "beating a dead horse" meaning how many times are anchors and rode talked about.

Nothing wrong with the subject matter. I learned a lot here BUT it seems on TF these subjects tend to get a little toxic at times. I saw it as here we go again, grin grin.....and trying to have fun with it.

Everything is worth posting to someone here on TF and that is the beauty of it, right?

Now lets irritate the Sea Ray folks by telling them Honda generators are the greatest thing since apple pie, how about it GFC? Disclaimer: We are suppose to be nice.

Back to the OP. Thanks for the information Steve.

Merry Christmas Eric!!

Its not hard
Buy a new gen anchor bigger than required.
All chain is good
Chain doesn't work when its still in the locker
Stay away from everyone else, safety in numbers does not work when it all turns to custard at 2am
Keep a weather eye.

That'll be $250 thanks
Please send money to..........................

Next week "How to count to 3 in 3 easy lessons". :)

Last edited:
When a dumbo anchors nearby it is many times way! easier to move a bit that worry.

10 min extra for a safe/ secure night is worth it.

Steve

There are some harsh people on here, ignore them.

Harsh or critical?

I like a forum that is critical outside of the touchy feely threads.

If all you get is yes men answers or ideas, or beginner level discussions......why come here?

Just go read most boating mag articles or a few books.

I think most except for the rare few threads are critical at worst..... I think harsh are terminated or harsh individual posts are deleted or terminated pretty quick around here.

Well personally I hope that some folks take Rudy up on his training.
I know too many boaters who are deathly afraid to anchor and refuse to be taught how. They have dragged in the past and that's it for them.
And of course there are the 2:1 folks who try and just dig furrows. They are the ones who need real help.
As far as judgement and consideration, you either have it or not, I don't think it can be taught.

Look at the 2 ladies that just claimed to survive all kinds of stuff and were rescued last month. How many here would call them survival experts yet 5 years from now, how many articles, books and videos by these rxperts might be sold?

Wifey B: You perchance use the word ladies too loosely. They now have a gofundme designed to fund their battle against the press for inaccurate reporting. They had donated $5 to it and last I saw that was their only donation. They aren't dropping things with their 15 minutes of fame, but keep concocting more stories. :mad:

I think to those who would take it seriously, it could be very helpful as long as it didn't make them too confident and think they had it mastered for all time and all conditions. Unfortunately, those who need it most would not be the ones to seek any training. So much of it is common sense and that's what is so lacking. People who can't even visualize they're anchoring too close to another boat or don't even grasp that they're moving are difficult.

The #1 mistake we saw this past summer are folks that set the anchor, then off in the dinghy they go. When they get back they wonder why they dragged. We would remain on board for a minimum of an hour to make sure we are safe and secured.

The #1 mistake we saw this past summer are folks that set the anchor, then off in the dinghy they go. When they get back they wonder why they dragged. We would remain on board for a minimum of an hour to make sure we are safe and secured.

We were not anchoring but saw a similar situation. A boat was clearly not where they meant it to be and still moving and no sign of anyone. It was within a few minutes of being ashore. So, what do you do? We first informed the CG and then we got in our Rib and pulled it away from shore and re-anchored it. We took videos of the before movement and the entire process. Still no sign of the owner. We loaded the Rib back on deck and waited a few minutes, decided to go on and leave and right then saw them walk up to their dinghy. Their first reaction when we spoke to them was quite contentious. No, it was anchored perfectly. You shouldn't have touched it. Even after seeing the video they said, "well someone must have messed with it."

So, what do you do when you see an anchored boat drifting away or to shore?

We were not anchoring but saw a similar situation. A boat was clearly not where they meant it to be and still moving and no sign of anyone. It was within a few minutes of being ashore. So, what do you do? We first informed the CG and then we got in our Rib and pulled it away from shore and re-anchored it. We took videos of the before movement and the entire process. Still no sign of the owner. We loaded the Rib back on deck and waited a few minutes, decided to go on and leave and right then saw them walk up to their dinghy. Their first reaction when we spoke to them was quite contentious. No, it was anchored perfectly. You shouldn't have touched it. Even after seeing the video they said, "well someone must have messed with it."

So, what do you do when you see an anchored boat drifting away or to shore?

Do exactly what you did, then file a salvage claim with the video as evidence. That will get their attention. Then donate the salvage reward to boater's education.

On a related note, it's easy to talk about common sense and judgement, but let's face it, there is a LOT to learn and know about boating, and none of us are born knowing it. Some people will figure it out faster than others, and some are more resistant to being taught than others, but tips, guidance, and pointing out errors is how we all learn. I have no idea how advanced or basic this training class will be, but anything that advances the boating skills base seems all good to me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom