How is auto-pilot used?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another: Coastkey.com

I put one of those on a day cruiser once. They're nicely made, but a bit on the expensive side. If you choose to install something like this, I strongly recommend putting a bypass switch in the circuit. Leaving your wonderfully reliable engine at the mercy of a complicated piece of wireless technology strikes me as... a strange way of thinking.

Agreed!
My main concern, as an old fart and a solo boater, is that if I go overboard, I am not only watching my boat sail off into the sunset, but my buddy and faithfull companion Meesha will be on that boat. Aussies are very smart little dogs, but mine has not yet figured out how to cancel the autopilot and return to a MOB position using the gps!

May I suggest another - disabling the syncronizers.

Whenever I hand the helm over to the missus she always checks before I leave the helm whether the AP and/or syncs are on.

As it should be. Women who take the helm, even occasionally, were not the target market. It was the significant other who was always just along for the ride while the captain did everything.

Thanks, if I ever teach the course again, I will touch on that area.

As it should be. Women who take the helm, even occasionally, were not the target market. It was the significant other who was always just along for the ride while the captain did everything.

Thanks, if I ever teach the course again, I will touch on that area.

Wifey B: Then there are those like Janice and Dorsey and Star Woman and Pilou and others here I've probably missed.:)

We know our crap. lol

I mean no disrespect to women just along for the ride, I just don't understand not wanting to know more and to operate the boat, too. Just missing out on waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy too much fun.

"Best to offset your course a bit!"

Good thinking,,

AMBROSE Lightship has been run into more than once.

Wifey B: Then there are those like Janice and Dorsey and Star Woman and Pilou and others here I've probably missed.:)

We know our crap. lol

I mean no disrespect to women just along for the ride, I just don't understand not wanting to know more and to operate the boat, too. Just missing out on waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy too much fun.
Unfortunately you all are likely a minority. I wish my wife had the same level of interest.

She is incredibly smart and capable, but doesn't have the interest. She will learn what she feels she has too, but it is with reluctance.

Best helmsman of a trawler I have run across in a lifetime is a woman. She made that trawler dance to her tune and her judgement as to the effects of wind and current was extraordinary.

Further comment, the cruising women I have met since leaving the US nine years ago have universally been well accomplished seamen.

Best helmsman of a trawler I have run across in a lifetime is a woman. She made that trawler dance to her tune and her judgement as to the effects of wind and current was extraordinary.

Further comment, the cruising women I have met since leaving the US nine years ago have universally been well accomplished seamen.

Wifey B: I think those who do decide to do it take it very seriously as we want to do it equal or better than any man. We know what would be said if we had issues docking or we didn't follow navigation rules. :)

Among our close friends are three other licensed female captains and one licensed female engineer.

Next time your SO is at the helm on AP, do a MOB drill with a Type 4 cushion!

If you're doing something that involves the risk of falling overboard, and don't turn off the autopilot ( and put the boat in neutral ) you should have your head examined.

If you're doing something that involves the risk of falling overboard, and don't turn off the autopilot ( and put the boat in neutral ) you should have your head examined.

Yes and no. I used to single-hand our sailboat all the time. I would go to the foredeck to set the spinnaker while the AP was holding a heading. Sure I had a pfd on, and as I got smarter I would also be clipped in, but it is risk/reward. If I was to sail single-handed, there was going to be some risk. I just tried to mitigate it. The AP actually reduced the risk involved.

Big thread drift so far, but back to the OPs question, maybe the best answer is the one that an AP is used as a dumb helmsman. Able to hold a course or hold a heading as instructed, but not able to make any judgements about the wisdom of holding that course or heading. A dumb helmsman can be useful, but you can't rely on them too much.

"A dumb helmsman can be useful, but you can't rely on them too much."

Esp AP the units that use a GPS , where an error can be very costly.

It simply steers , you watch , less to go wrong.

AS many times a crew member will be watching ,

the installation of Murphy gauges is a great idea if passages are contemplated.

This is my first boat with an AP. I have an older Raytheon ST6000+ with an Octopus controller in the engine room. On the flybridge I have a remote control that operates the AP quite nicely.

I'm still getting used to it! It's so odd having an AP. My previous boats were smaller outboard powered (not that that has anything to do with the ability to have an autopilot).

I love it and would never like to go without it in the future. I just need more practice with it; I just bought my boat in August

We use the AP, (dumb unit just goes where you point it , cant read a map,) for everything but docking.

The important point is neutral, not the AP.

The same can be said for a human driving the boat, not just AP.

Falling overboard should never be taken lightly as more can go wrong than just getting wet.

If you are moving at all for any reason, the chances of relocating the MOB dwindle rapidly, especially if no MOB signalling devices especially electronic are in use.

Last edited:
Autopilot is a fantastic tool when traveling in dense fog. Instead of spending 50% of you time looking at a compass to keep a heading you are constantly looking out for other vessels and/or at your radar screen.
Traveling in limited visibility conditions w/o an autopilot is like traveling down the freeway at 75mph while texting.
STUPID!

We use the AP, (dumb unit just goes where you point it , cant read a map,) for everything but docking.

Me too, anchor, compass, autopilot in order of importance for me. Of course you still need a lookout, most times the captain, but it gives you time to pee, read charts, stretch your legs, make a coffee, eat. Mine are the simplest available and very adequate for the task. You get a nice idea what the wind & current are doing to you by having to reset once and a while that you may not get with a GPS tied unit IMHO

Last edited:
We generally just lay down our course from point A to point B and let the autopilot steer the course, making all turns without input from us. Clearly if a boat presents itself, we take it off auto course steering, but leave it on auto and use the knob to select how many degrees Port or starboard to turn to avoid the other vessel.

Travelling under an auto course is, IMO, safer than hand steering, or twiddling a knob since I can inspect the course before we begin and make sure it is providing adequate clearance from rocks, is running the best side of a channel to accommodate current, etc. Then, all we need to do is keep a watch for other vessels or debris in the water. I'd sell the boat if there was no such thing as an autopilot.

We generally just lay down our course from point A to point B and let the autopilot steer the course, making all turns without input from us. Clearly if a boat presents itself, we take it off auto course steering, but leave it on auto and use the knob to select how many degrees Port or starboard to turn to avoid the other vessel.

Travelling under an auto course is, IMO, safer than hand steering, or twiddling a knob since I can inspect the course before we begin and make sure it is providing adequate clearance from rocks, is running the best side of a channel to accommodate current, etc. Then, all we need to do is keep a watch for other vessels or debris in the water. I'd sell the boat if there was no such thing as an autopilot.

Pretty much my feelings exactly. I boat mostly solo, so the AP really reduces the workload. I normally cruise at 20+ kts where safe, so keeping a proper lookout, navigating and keeping a good scan on the engine instruments is more of a challenge than in my previous trawler, or years of sailing before that. It happens quite a bit faster now, but even at lower speeds I wouldn't be without one. A good AP makes it manageable, much safer and more enjoyable.

Greetings,
Mr. j. As Mr. mr posted, you are required, by law, to keep a constant watch while the AP does the steering (speed is set by throttle) on a programmed or set course. Our AP (Wood-Freeman 500) holds one set course only and cannot be programmed or interfaced with other electronic devices like more modern units can.
The more modern units can be programmed to change course at pre-set waypoints and take you from point A to point B without touching the helm but I have no experience with these. Wish I did.

Wood-Freeman brings back memories...my very first auto pilot was a model 11.
Southeast Alaska, 42' troller late fifties.

"Our AP (Wood-Freeman 500) holds one set course only and cannot be programmed or interfaced with other electronic devices like more modern units can."

The W-F can also usually be repaired on board with no parts or circuit boards from the unobtanium store.

I single hand our 44 most of the time...often in fog and/or at night crossing Lake Michigan...typically an eleven hour trip to final destination in Wisconsin. One crappy, bumpy night (no fog) I did my hourly engine room check about mid-Lake and discovered a serious leak in one of the raw water pumps. After shutting that engine down, I checked the radar and scanned the horizon for lights. With none noted I set the autopilot on the proper course while running at slightly reduced speed on the remaining engine. The Will-Hamm autopilot kicked the rudder over to maintain course and I went below to change out the pump. Every ten minutes I'd pop up, check the radar, and do the visual scan. Beat the heck out of wallowing around in the trough while doing the repair, or poking along on one engine and arriving after the destination marina closed. The beauty of an autopilot (and two engines). I won't leave port on an extended trip without it.

Travelling under an auto course is, IMO, safer than hand steering,

Perhaps. But it doesn't prevent sea sickness like hand-steering does. That's why I put my daughter and wife at the helm so often.

I have said this before in other threads. An autopilot is a safety issue, in that it allows the helmsman to look out the window or at the radar as opposed to constantly watching the compass. Given the shortage of crew on most of our boats, just a couple, the autopilot takes over the role of the helmsman leaving the others to keep watch.

They do exist. There are several devices available that connect helmsman or other crew member to an electronic kill switch via bluetooth. If you fall overboard, or get more than 50' from the helm, the engine shuts down

Here's one: fellmarine.com

Fisheries Supply Seattle sells one. I saw it demonstrated at their booth last week. (Pacific Marine Expo).

Back
Top Bottom