Don't like difficult-to-read boat name fonts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markpierce

Master and Commander
Vessel Name
Carquinez Coot
Vessel Make
penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
So, why do many boaters use difficult-to-read fonts for their boats' names? That irks me, and wonder why USCG documentation rules don't help. :confused:

Perhaps its different rules for Documented boats versus State registered only? But I agree - if you are going to have a name it should be readable.

That's the case here. State rego is mandatory but rules cover rego numbers only. Boat names, size & font and location is not covered or required.

But if you want to travel outside the country you also need national rego with AMSA. In this case the size of lettering, and font, is regulated for both the rego numbers and boat name. You need a secure/tamper resistant number internally as well, and it is broadly equivalent to USCG documentation.

One difference is that in Australia you have to nominate a home port from a short list of designated ports. I find it weird that it appears the USCG will accept anything, even a place nowhere near water, as home port.

The vast majority of recreational boaters don't have a documented vessel. State registration rules don't regulate what the boat's name looks like, nor do they even require a name at all.

So...who cares what other folks put on their transoms? I only care what MY transom looks like.

Perhaps its different rules for Documented boats versus State registered only? But I agree - if you are going to have a name it should be readable.

That's the case here. State rego is mandatory but rules cover rego numbers only. Boat names, size & font and location is not covered or required.

But if you want to travel outside the country you also need national rego with AMSA. In this case the size of lettering, and font, is regulated for both the rego numbers and boat name. You need a secure/tamper resistant number internally as well, and it is broadly equivalent to USCG documentation.

One difference is that in Australia you have to nominate a home port from a short list of designated ports. I find it weird that it appears the USCG will accept anything, even a place nowhere near water, as home port.
That sounds very much like the rules we have here in the US as well as in Canada. State (or provincial) registration specifies only what the registration numbers look like and how they're displayed. They don't care about boat names or hailing ports.

To go abroad the vessel must carry federal paperwork: USCG documentation here in the States, Transport Canada registry up north. That's when the naming becomes regulated. Yup, you can homeport the vessel in the middle of the desert if you wish! Now that you mention it, that is kinda strange....

Some people are more interested in being cute or artistic with legibility be damned. ... Find this problem with documented vessels too often. ... Find it helpful to be able to identify a boat by name. ... A shame that most boats aren't effectively named for identification or at all. ... Aahh, boating among difficult people. :blush:

Last edited:
Some people are more interested in being cute or artistic with legibility be damned. ... Find this problem with documented vessels too often. ... Find it helpful to be able to identify a boat by name. ... A shame that most boats aren't effectively named for identification or at all. ... Aahh, boating among difficult people. :blush:

You live among difficult people. Haven't you seen business logos that were fancy and colorful but you couldn't figure out the name of the business?

logo1.jpg logo2.png logo3.png logo4.png logo5.png logo6.png
logo7.jpg logo8.jpg logo9.jpg

Never mind the font. How about the name? When I name a boat I close my eyes and say.... "Mayday Mayday Mayday this is SV/MV XXXXXXX"

1: Can the average Joe understand the name on a crappy radio in a stormy night?
2: Is the Coastguard Radio Operator going to fall off his chair laughing?
3: Are they going to say "What a dick name..... why don't you float around for a while, we'll get to you...."

Of course this is not likely, but still, something plain English and not too punny will go a long way towards effective communication.

Well at least" Carpe Deum " has died off as a name.

Kar-KEEN-ez Koot

How’s that pronounced again? :rolleyes:

I have to side with Mark on this.

I know names are not necessary, and that some folks like to be cute with them.

But out in the real world, there are times when communication with other boats or agencies is important. When they're in trouble. When you're in trouble. When you're helping someone who's in trouble. Or just trying to navigate safely. Comms matter.

Cute names, either spoken or written, really detract from safety in these cases.

OK, I've said enough. Yes, it's a pet peeve.

FF, "carpe deum" means "seize the god" ---maybe abbreviated from "seize the goddam line"???

I remember a sailboat named Zubenelgenubi, for the star. I guarantee he would have a rough time getting that name across to New Orleans bridge and lock tenders.
Years ago I thought ISIS would have been a nice boat name, not so much anymore.

So, why do many boaters use difficult-to-read fonts for their boats' names? That irks me, and wonder why USCG documentation rules don't help. :confused:

Yeah, difficult to make out script when trying to offer a slow pass. The other day we passed a Canadian sailboat, never did figure out what the name was. Possibly complicated by being in French (maybe). No response to our attempt to radio or hail... perhaps 'cause we mangled whatever we thought the boat name might have been...

-Chris

Failed to attach pics to my post above.

Attachments

• DSCF1767.jpg
    DSCF1767.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 216
  • DSCF2577.jpg
    DSCF2577.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 210
Maybe during the naming process of one’s boat, they should try spelling it using the International Radiotelephony Spelling Alphabet (IRSA). I bet that would shorten a few names. We’re near the Ortega River Bridge, one of the busier bascule bridges in FL. Listening to boats, with hard to pronounce names, trying to spell them using the IRSA can be pretty entertaining.

I agree Mark,
For many the need to be cute is great. Or the need to advertise one’s past nationality. But even if it’s a dumb assed joke it will be better said if easily read. My first trawler had a poor name (my fault) and it was long. That was a mistake I’ll not repeat.

Short names are best and most easily read.

One of the boats in our marina had its name displayed in signal flags. Quaint and interesting but functionally useless in this day and age. But then it was trapped above a dam on the Missouri River and we only use radios for weather and Saturday sailing races. All comes down to how and where a boat is used I think. "Serious" waters, locks, bridges, big shipping, you shouldn't be goofy with the name or font. Little closed waters, pulling kids on tubes on weekends, different story.

Honestly, you have to be so close to actually read a boat's name off the stern I can't imagine why you would care how it appears... At sea you are being looked for by hull color when in distress, and by location. We generally mark vessel names on the stern only here, and you don't circle the boat trying to read the name off before you call.

You either know who you're calling, heard someone else call it, or have no idea what the name of the boat is anyway. It sounds like a pretty "pet" peeve unless you are just walking the dock looking at boats...

I can say from personal experience that having no name on a suspicious sportfish in the islands means the DEA helo hovers longer.

"Seize the DAY" was big for a certain set of folks , way back.

I chuckle at the earlier post imagining what it's like to use your boat's name in a radio call. That has always been one of my deciding criteria! Exactly the same as naming a dog: pick a name that you're comfortable yelling loudly from the back door. :lol:

All comes down to how and where a boat is used I think. "Serious" waters, locks, bridges, big shipping, you shouldn't be goofy with the name or font. Little closed waters, pulling kids on tubes on weekends, different story.

I agree. I haven't bothered labeling my boat as we have so little boat traffic, there is rarely someone close enough to read a name on your transom.

In this area, I think it is more important to properly register your MMSI number.
These days with most boats having dsc radio, the boat name and details are automatically transmitted to coast guard, commercial vessels, and many pleasure boats.

Illegible names annoy me; dinghies on the swim platform blocking the name are worse; sailboats with the name on the side at the stern seem pointless. Can't offer you a slow pass if I can't read your name till I'm passing you.

Ted

FF, "carpe deum" means "seize the god" ---maybe abbreviated from "seize the goddam line"???
Or "carpe diem", meaning "seize the day" :). Also translated as "complain daily".
There is no reason a boat name has to resemble a "capcha" code. Simple, recognizable, and easily understood in speech, is best.

Illegible names annoy me; dinghies on the swim platform blocking the name are worse; sailboats with the name on the side at the stern seem pointless. Can't offer you a slow pass if I can't read your name till I'm passing you.

Ted

Almost by definition single-hulled sailboats are slow. Easily passed with low wake at seven or less knots. ... Beware of quirky sailboat maneuvers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom