fishing along the Loop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seevee

Guru
Vessel Make
430 Mainship
All,

Thinking about doing some fishing as we cruise the loop. I'm not a fisherman and don't know a lot about it. I buy my fish at the store or hire a charter captain for fishing. But I do own a few poles, but have little idea of how to rig them and how to fish.

What kind of fish would I be looking for in different areas? Any good info for a beginner?

I know I'm going to talk to my sister in laws brother who coho salmon fishes in Lake Michigan. He get some great fish.

Greetings,
Mr. S. Lots to be caught but keep in mind that every time you visit another state you will need a new fishing license.

You can even catch a disease in some place lol

L

I love fishing in FL and NJ but don't have a single hook on Irish Lady. The boat is just not set up for dealing with blood, slime, and scales. Not only different licenses are needed but each species has its own techniques and tackle to be successful. I just don't want to give up the space to store a mess of tackle that may never get used.

I am set up for and want to fish, My annual round trips to Fl result in only fishing in Fl due to time spent there.

The biggest show stopper is a dang license in many of the states.

A good deal is NC.... $10 for ten days.

Unless you have a fast boat, you are in NC for a big chunk of that if taking your time.

Many different ways to approach it and many different kinds of fishing. Many people troll offshore as much as possible but you won't likely be running that much off shore. There are places like Hatteras that are renowned for fishing but you won't actually be going to them and if you did, the real fishing is too far offshore. Chartering a fishing trip is always a consideration there. The reason so far is that by that point the Gulf Stream is much further offshore.

As to freshwater and brackish fishing, the real fishermen would tell you it's everywhere. That does point though to the value of a local guide. Okeechobee is top bass territory. If I was wanting to fish in NC I'd get a Currituck Sound guide. On the Erie, Lake Oneida is a hot fishing area. We have a member here who guides there. Each of the Great Lakes has it's distinctive fishing. All depends on how much you want to fish. Then I'd recommend the TN River. Then along the coast from Mobile on you're back to home territory.

I'd decide how much fishing I wanted to do, then pinpoint some diverse places to do it. Then I'd get a local guide for the day.

Many states have legal authority if fishing unlicensed to confiscate all fishing equiptment that can include your boat. I like fishing but when cruising preferr ordering fish from a menu.

Thanks for all the good idea.

Goal is not to make this a hassle. Fishing would just be an add-on to trolling along the intercoastal. Not a stand alone activity. I'm not going to hire a charter or guide specifically for a fishing trip, but would certainly like local knowledge.

Does anyone know of a site that gives a list of licensing in each state? Do most states exempt seniors? And do most states have an option for an electronic card (no snail mail required)?

The problem with inshore trolling along the ICW is that most of the time you are moving too fast. You really need to be down around 4 or 5 knots to do much trolling inshore. Offshore you can troll faster.

Not only will you need a license in each state, you will have to know the rules in each state. What time of year each fish is legal to keep and what size range. I believe in some cases you are lot allowed to cut up a caught fish until you are back on land (a problem for someone cruising).

For simple tackle and easy fishing, I'd stick with a saltwater bottom rig and various cut bait and Night Crawlers. In the canal part of the "Loop", in the warm months, you are liable to catch mostly little fish...ie, baby croaker, spot, scup, porgy, flounder, etc. As it gets less brackish to fresh, you'll start picking up catfish and perch. I've seen people catch bass on bottom rigs and earthworms at the "Locks" of Great Bridge.

In the fall, speckled trout, larger croaker, spot, puppy drum, and stripped bass will start moving south and can be caught on the same rig with the right bait.

Just in general, for NC and VA, in my experience...your free 2 cents :rofl:

Thanks for all the good idea.

Goal is not to make this a hassle. Fishing would just be an add-on to trolling along the intercoastal. Not a stand alone activity. I'm not going to hire a charter or guide specifically for a fishing trip, but would certainly like local knowledge.

Well, it won't be a hassle that way because not likely to catch much. Two ways to get local knowledge then. One is by spending the night at the marina most popular with fishermen. Second way is by googling the area and fishing reports and you should find one or more fishermen with reports. For instance google "Ocracoke Fishing Reports" and you'll quickly see a dozen or more. Now also many states have reports. Here's one for NC. NC Fishing Reports at Fishing-NC.com: North Carolina Saltwater Fishing Reports . Going to these reports can often show you what is being caught and how.

Does anyone know of a site that gives a list of licensing in each state? Do most states exempt seniors? And do most states have an option for an electronic card (no snail mail required)?

No, most states do not exempt seniors.

Most states do have online capabilities although some are time consuming. Some also have multiple licenses. For instance, NC requires a separate one for inland vs. coastal.

I suggest when you get to an area known for good fishing, like anywhere in Florida, hire a guide. That avoids the need for a local license and the guide will provide all of the equipment you need. You're actually much more likely to catch a fish with a guide.

Florida exempts senior residents from the need for a license. I don't know about senior visitors.

Not trying to hijack the thread on loop fishing but if your more than 3 miles out your in federal waters. Do you need a fishing license if you land and consume the fish before heading back into state waters? What about if your more than 12 miles out in international waters? Or is it 200 miles out?

Reefspotter
-------------------
Home is where I drop my anchor.

Not trying to hijack the thread on loop fishing but if your more than 3 miles out your in federal waters. Do you need a fishing license if you land and consume the fish before heading back into state waters? What about if your more than 12 miles out in international waters? Or is it 200 miles out?

Reefspotter
-------------------
Home is where I drop my anchor.

If caught and consumed in federal waters...then fed regs apply.

Once in state waters, state regs apply.

Unless targeting illegal species, or violating federal regs beyond 3 miles, catching and cleaning to freeze, refrigerate would be about 99.9% safe in my recreational and professional experience.

Alaska is a different animal though... :)

To be legal should the law show up your only allowed to gut and gill bleed the fish so they can id species and length of the catch.

please excuse the duplication.

Last edited:
It boggles the mind with the complexity of fishing rules, even within a given state. Perhaps the best bet is the no-license-required of some California piers or something like it in some other states. (Simplicity: I "fish" at the market.)

Good fishing in Ontario if you do Trent Severn there are plenty of opportunities for Bass perch northern.
Ont has a 1week? (+/-?) license good way to spend some time at anchor or out in the dingy when at a lock or marina.

To be legal should the law show up your only allowed to gut and gill bleed the fish so they can id species and length of the catch.

What about the fish you legally caught last month that are onboard in your freezer? How do they tell the ones you caught yesterday and froze from fish caught last year if seal-a-mealed and frozen?

If this was correct and enforced it would be illegal to travel with year old home caught filets, fishing gear and no permit, since you could not prove species and fish size, nor could you prove you did not fish illegally.

Last edited:
What about the fish you legally caught last month that are onboard in your freezer? How do they tell the ones you caught yesterday and froze from fish caught last year if seal-a-mealed and frozen?

That's going to be between you and the LEO who stops you. Fishing regulations are written with fishing in mind, not cruisers. The point of the law is so you can't hide the fact that you kept illegal fish by filleting them and throwing the identifying parts overboard.

So a law written to control Chinese factory trawlers and poaching market fishermen gets applied to mom and pop cruisers transiting a given state? Great, that's something else to worry about........

Maybe to be safe we should keep the box the fish sticks came in if we have any leftovers.....?

So a law written to control Chinese factory trawlers and poaching market fishermen gets applied to mom and pop cruisers transiting a given state? Great, that's something else to worry about........
?

Actually, no. Laws written to protect against fishermen, local and otherwise, get enforced against fishermen, local and otherwise. However, only on TF do they get applied in some evil way against cruisers.

If you're fishing without a license you may get ticketed. If you're offshore and you were trolling and caught a fish and it's now filleted and in the freezer, unless you're suspected of hundreds of pounds of fish you're not going to be in trouble. We're talking multiple sets of laws, those against people fishing without licenses and those to protect against illegal poaching and excess quantities. The license laws are enforced against people observed fishing. The poaching laws against those carrying large quantities off fish which would primarily be large fishing boats.

Back to the ma and pa kettle cruisers, if you're cruising the ICW and fishing, you just need to have a license for each state. Simple. And you need to know any restrictions, seasonal or otherwise.

BandB summed it up. In 20 years of fishing when cruising, other then fishing licenses, boat registrations and safety gear, we’ve never been asked about fish in the freezer or onboard the big boat but then again we’ve always had the fishing licenses, boat registrations and safety gear when fishing. :)

Slightly delayed in my response, but in my many years of fishing experience, LE typically is only concerned about what is in the cooler.

Honestly, pretend that you are a day fisherman and keep your legal fish in the cooler till sundown in vase you get stopped. Then clean them, bag them, freeze them...then pretend they don't exist till the next "ice in the cooler session".

You will probably confuse and frustrate the LE if you start trying to explain you are a cruiser who caught some frozen fish in another state during another season when it as legal or something...

This is general advice that falls under my "Never volunteer more information then asked" rule :lol:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom