This looks interesting: Samlex 3000W Inverter charger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Samlex has a great reputation worldwide for good value quality electronics.

I'm sure no Magnum, but leagues ahead of a no-name cheapie.

I have a Samlex 1500 Watt inverter and a single bank 60 or so (memory issue)amp battery charger. For a few years, no complaints.

...I'm sure no Magnum, but leagues ahead of a no-name cheapie.

I have the Magnum 2812 with the monitor and remote, so I don' need one, but I thought others might be interested.

Jim

says in manual not to be used on boats under 65 feet because of excess vibration will hurt it

Samlex have also battery chargers for a reasonable price tag here and I was wondering about quality and durability.

L

Samplex 3012 manual says they use bulk charge x 10 to establish absorption time. They assume ~75% charge at end of bulk charge.

I didn't find similar information on Magnum

The big question is do you want "all your eggs in one basket",

if the inverter fails you loose the batt charger ?

I prefer old style single component , single failure, but with modern smart equipment.

I prefer old style single component , single failure, but with modern smart equipment.

Seems like a lot of folks like my have Magnum 2812 charger/inverters that haven’t had any problems. But you certainly are correct, if mine fails I need replace both a charger and an inverter. Mine is going on 7 years of use so far....

I have had my trace inverter/charger for over 20 years. Not really worried about one of these failing and if it did I have a backup charger and a generator.

A Magnum 2812 combo inverter charger costs around $2,000. The charger portion is a very good 125 amp unit. Newmars standalone 125 amp charger is as big as the Magnum combo and costs about $1700. Who makes two separate competitive inverter and charger units for marine use that are both space and cost efficient?

If seeking ultimate redundancy, install two inverter chargers. Many vessels do this.

I went with the Promariner setup....because it fit my plans, needs and budget.

2000W inverter/75 amp charger combo for $850 and a 50amp stand alone charger for around $450.

This gives me a backup charger, and with both the combo and stand alone charging, they top off a battery bank of 650amp hours depleted down 15 to 20 percent in one to two hours.

So far i am pleased. The costs were very reasonable as the units look well designed and made. Especially the stand alone charger. Lots of front panel info wihtout the remote and its adjustable output lets me use it with my emergency Honda 1000W genset.

It saved the first 2 months of this trip. I got underway on schedule even though a coupke days before departure i had to send my 8kW generator end out for repair.

Last edited:
If seeking ultimate redundancy, install two inverter chargers. Many vessels do this.

I installed a second charger. The inverter/charger (100A) is on the house bank. The other charger covers both the starting and genset bank. Each engine alternator charges one bank. I can swap the starting and house banks.

No single point of failure can leave me without the ability to recharge, if I'm running the mains regularly. Things only get dicey if the genset or inverter/charger fail during a time I planned to be on the hook for a while. That would eventually force me to a marina or repair facility. Solar would probably go a long way toward alleviating that.

My secondary charger is my main engine.

Me too. Been there done that

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom