Old 11-18-2017, 10:57 PM   #51
FlyWright
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper Canvas View Post
Not to ruffle any feathers , or get kicked off the Trawler forum , but has anyone ever heard of someone really loading up a trawler with a semi displacement hull with a lot of horse power ? I mean to really get it up and over . I have a 1979 ms 34 . This boat is new to me but have run many commercial fishing boats with almost the same hull (why I bought the 34 )and by not being speed demons ,we usually get up easy to 18 to 19 with a 380 hp with boat balanced correctly . Yes ,I am enjoying going slower and yes, I enjoy the fuel economy and no, I am not repowering . Just wondering if anyone did it and what was the result?
The 34 Californian had been powered with everything from twin 85hp Perkins 4.236s to Detroit 250s like chc's. My cruise with twin 4.236s is 7.5K and WOT 10K. Chc's WOT is 23K! It's quite a ride but the bow is so high that the lower helm visibility is restricted. At those speeds, it's a FB-run boat only.

I think the sweetspot with this hull would be the 200-210 Perkins 6.354 or Cat 3208 for about a 12-14 kt speed. More ER room with the big Perkins though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
And as Baker says, the coolant cooled oil coolers work well in keeping oil up to temperature under light loads. No mention by Sinter as to keeping oil temps up in the + 180F range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Eric....the coolant "cooled" oil is a good thing. In the Cummins it always comes up to temp and the oil comes up right along with it. In the Yanmar, the disparity was shocking.....the coolant could be 180 and the oil temp could be almost cool to the touch.
My Perkins 4.236s run at about 165*F oil temp. They've been described to me as "over cooled", but they do not seem to suffer from the 'neglect'. On this engine, it appears to have no negative effect.

Last summer my port oil cooler sprung a leak on a long trip so I had to bypass it for about 10 hrs of operation. The temps rose to and stayed at 240*F without the oil cooler connected. I was impressed. (Yes, I changed the oil when we returned and replaced the cooler stack.)

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote