Conrad
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
RE: Newbie Advice

Quote:
Art wrote:CPseudonym wrote:
After spending a few days reading through the forum I came upon a thread (can't remember title) wher the advice in a nut shell was stop waiting around and do it now. It hit close to home with me.

I've been waiting for the perfect opportunity and boat to come along and after reading that thread decided the perfect first boat will be the one that floats, we'll learn and make our mistakes on something very cheap and move on from there. I've had Boating skills and seamanship classes many years ago through the USCGA and plan on taking them again. I also plan on taking sailing lessons at a local sailing school. I do wish to be a safe and responsible boater.

I have been looking at Craigslist and was wondering if a list of boats in the California Bay and Delta region exists? I've tried Google with some varying levels of success and was wanting to make sure there was not an obvious site I was missing that is known by experienced boaters. I am on a very low starting budget and do not expect anything larger than what would fit on a trailer for a first boat, although if it is over 23 feet I would very much like to berth it in the Delta.

I thank you for any help you may provide.

~Craig
Hi Craig... Welcome to boating!

I'm from*SF area.**After docking in San Rafael for Bay-Play and Pacific coast ventures outside the GG Bridge, we sold our Uniflite Sport Fisher Sedan and cruised our Tollycraft Tri Cabin into the Bay Delta.* For over two years now we've been docking under a covered berth in Stockton.* Plenty of cruising areas, islands*to visit, towns to visit, yacht harbors to review, restaurants to chow at, and warm clean*fresh water to swim in... good fishing too.* If you proceed in an orderly fashion to comprehensively research CL ads in SF, Stockton and Sacramento, as well as to call and/or visit boat yards and yacht harbors seeking a boat... you will eventually locate the correct one to suite your needs.* Plenty of good condition and affordable craft for sale these days... some real junkers too!* Soooo ya gotta be informed and careful during your choice of purchase.* Seeing as you appear not sure of what actual design/condition/price that boat may be I offer you my assistance to discuss alternatives and will be pleased to offer you tips and tricks as to what may lead you toward your best choice opportunity.* Therefore; if you would like to chat on this for some pointers... send me an IM and Ill IM you my phone #.* Boating is a kick if you chose the correct craft to utilize!* BUT boating can Kick-Your-Ass in more way than one, if you chose the wrong one!!* Best to know what youre doing, before you do it.* Be pleased to speak with you.* Good luck, Art

*If you haven't gone to Yachtworld.com I'm recommend having a look there; it does allow you to focus by various criteria including geographic area.

Also agree with other posters that you don't want to start out with something unsuitable. That could easily put you (and any potential cruising partner(s)) off the lifestyle completely.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote