Wood Flooring Options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am just about done refinishing the original teak parquet floor in the master suite of our Defever 44. Sanded to bare wood and finished with water-borne urethane. Looks great and the sanding removed all the high spots on the edges of the individual pieces. I am not at all worried about durability. The original finish lasted 34 years.

I last varnished my teak parquet floor about 10 years ago. I still get comments from visitors like "I see you have been busy varnishing your floors. They look beautiful". I do have small carpets so you can always walk on a dry floor.

What is virgin PVC? It’s vinyl! BD you are right it is not 100% vinyl, it’s like 99% vinyl.

I am not knocking the product. The stuff looks good and it is completely water proof. Wear rate is excellent. I too use it in my rental properties and have had far better luck with it than laminate based products such as pergo.

Pergo engineered flooring sold at Lowes is not plywood backed hardwood. The core is powered dust glued together, for the lack of specific descriptions of the substrate.

And engineered flooring is not Pergo! It usually refers to a hardwood veneer (of varying thickness) over a plywood substrate.

Rob

And engineered flooring is not Pergo! It usually refers to a hardwood veneer (of varying thickness) over a plywood substrate.

Rob
So Mr. Pergo is falsely advertising?.

https://na.pergo.com/hardwood-flooring

Hardwood Flooring Products

Finding your perfect hardwood floor

Browse our solid, locking engineered and engineered hardwood flooring collections from the latest wood floor colors, finish, styles, species and textures. From solid wood floors to locking engineered hardwood, Pergo floors beautify your home and are easy to install. Order a sample today!

Selections:
<LI class=constructionname1LockingEngineered>Locking Engineered (13)

Last edited:
I put down a vinyl strip floor (4" X 3', self-sticking)) on our trawler 17 years ago and it is still holding up. Just could not beat the price or ease of installation. Both Home Depot and Lowe's carries the stuff.

Don't forget: The OP was concerned with the cost of vinyl tiles.

Which is probably the cheapest thing known to man apart from old newspapers

I'm not as concerned with cost as I am with value. Not to mention, it's kinda dumb to concern myself with the material choice expense when labor is probably 80% of the job. There's probably 50-60 square feet of flooring in question, so the variation in price from the cheapest vinyl to the nicest teak isn't a huge component of the overall cost.

Anyway, thanks to all for the valuable insight. As of now, one of the top contenders is Ipe...a product I'm fairly familiar with, as is my wood guy. Not the easiest material to work with, but in the natural wood category - not much seems to surpass it in terms of durability and stability. It's a tad dark for my tastes, but perhaps we can offset the darkness by tossing in some lighter/thinner strips of something else into the mix.

Also, for those of you suggesting I do it myself...I know my limitations. Mechanically, electrical/electronics, anything like that - sure, within my abilities. But, I've a long-standing rule when it comes to such things...I just don't do finish work. That includes joinery and fiberglass work. It's a talent that has always escaped me, and I'll simply stare at my kludge of a job forever wishing I'd paid a pro to do it.

I'll save $$ by utilizing my skills elsewhere. :D

I installed AMTICO "teak and holly" strip flooring in my boat. It looks great but it was a pretty tedious job. It goes down with a special mastic and a V grove trowel. The layout (making sure the seams and different colored boards are random and allowing for the hatches) was the hardest part.

Outnumbered again,

Guess I am the only poster that worries about the no skid properties of the floor.

For the wood floor folks ,Gymnasium , bowling alley or some bar varnishes are non skid when wet.

The AMTICO flooring has slightly different thicknesses for the "teak" and "holly" and both are textured as well. I would call it "non-skid".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom