Interesting video

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great video, but what was the camera platform? The areal shot from an air craft make sense but what about the low level shots? Who the hell else was out there and why. I,m guessing the low level shorts are stil from an aircraft using a stabilized telephoto. Gyro stabilized air craft don’t just happen to be flying by so this is a professional set up.

Great video, but what was the camera platform? The areal shot from an air craft make sense but what about the low level shots? Who the hell else was out there and why. I,m guessing the low level shorts are stil from an aircraft using a stabilized telephoto. Gyro stabilized air craft don’t just happen to be flying by so this is a professional set up.

No doubt about it but really, professional or not, I prefer not to be out there in these sea conditions :)

One shot remind me of a friend who was Commander of a frigate (is it the right term in English?) and told me that you know that you are in severe weather when you get the screws out of the water :eek:

L

This was on the Passagemaker FB page today.

I too wondered who was taking the video and what ship they were on.

They are not all the same ship. I think there are 3 different ships there.

This video has been on Youtube for many years.
Here's a version from 2011

Last edited:
Here's a version from 2011

Thanks for the YouTube link. It's kind of irritating to have to log on to Facebook just to watch a video. Especially since I don't have a FB account.

Thanks for the YouTube link. It's kind of irritating to have to log on to Facebook just to watch a video. Especially since I don't have a FB account.

Indeed, tried to get the direct link to it from FB but was not able.

L

Just get FB account it no longer hip not to have one and any 8 year old can help you :D

Video and the computer has shown us all maner of huge waves.

Getting to be old hat. I’ve seen this before.

Here's one that I like.
Crew change at the lighthouse.

They act as if it is all rather blasé.

"Facebook" is only half a word. I refuse.

Re: #12 - gives new meaning to going to work.

Just get FB account it no longer hip not to have one and any 8 year old can help you :D

I wasn't even "hip" back in the 60's when that was a thing.

I have decades of IT experience; I might even be able to teach an 8-year-old a thing or two about computer systems and networking.

I also know all about FB and how it works. That's why I choose not to join.

My guess is that those first videos came off the rigs in the north sea. That is why they are not banging around like the boats.

Here is the video of the conditions during the search for the missing Argentina sub:

Pouah piece of cake ! (I am still shaking in my pants) lol

L

I feel sick.

Well, to combine the two experiences, many years ago I went to the Antarctic on an ice strengthened ship called the Nella Dan - we had seas similar to the sub mission - we approached the ships calculated roll point of no return so spent 36 hours heaved too (and yes heaving) heading into the sea, once we eventually got to the ice, it was as depicted by the icebreaker except the weather was fantastic - crystal blue sky and water and great big chunks of ice berg that had started to melt and looked like ice cream - if anyone would like a copy of my 200 - 35mm slides, please let me know:rofl:.
Finding a 35mm projector now days might be a challenge though.

Well, to combine the two experiences, many years ago I went to the Antarctic on an ice strengthened ship called the Nella Dan - we had seas similar to the sub mission - we approached the ships calculated roll point of no return so spent 36 hours heaved too (and yes heaving) heading into the sea, once we eventually got to the ice, it was as depicted by the icebreaker except the weather was fantastic - crystal blue sky and water and great big chunks of ice berg that had started to melt and looked like ice cream - if anyone would like a copy of my 200 - 35mm slides, please let me know:rofl:.
Finding a 35mm projector now days might be a challenge though.

You can get them scanned!

L

Here's a couple old Australian films from 80 years ago.
Enjoy!

Last edited:
Incredible stuff, Aus. Thank you. Iron men and wooden ships! (Yeah, I know Peking was a steel hull, but it fits)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom